grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Taking down Deathly Hallows 2 to be WB's biggest movie ever

There are also others two  Barbies and two Kens. Gosling and Robbie are the white, beautiful stereotyped Barbie and Ken, the others will be very different in every terms, so there is  a lot in this movie we haven't seen yet.

The biggest inspiration for the movie is The truman show, so something both sofisticated and for popular taste. If Gerwig can do that it's gonna be a success. 

Edited by vale9001

2 hours ago, vale9001 said:

There are also others two  Barbies and two Kens. Gosling and Robbie are the white, beautiful stereotyped Barbie and Ken, the others will be very different in every terms, so there is  a lot in this movie we haven't seen yet.

The biggest inspiration for the movie is The truman show, so something both sofisticated and for popular taste. If Gerwig can do that it's gonna be a success. 

Okay, if Gosling is hot Ken, I guess we know why the line and movie are always called Barbie.

His hair is an age fail - it makes him look like granddad Ken vs Ken...

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Okay, if Gosling is hot Ken, I guess we know why the line and movie are always called Barbie.

His hair is an age fail - it makes him look like granddad Ken vs Ken...

I mean the look is kinda ridicolous but it's Ryan Gosling. Still hot as hell. 

On 6/25/2022 at 12:55 AM, lorddemaxus said:

Probably a bit biased since it's my favourite current interpretation of a CBM character, but based on some of the BTS clips I've seen, really feels like this role is scratching that Harley Quinn itch for Robbie lol.

I was right once again

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

I don't know why people are acting like the plot of this is so difficult to figure out. It sounds essentially like Enchanted but with Barbie instead of a Disney princess

Yeah, seems like it from the photos of Robbie with America Ferrera (and I'm gonna assume the actress playing the latter's daughter?). Also could be like Godmothered with Barbie dolls instead of fairy godmothers.

This has to be a strong contender for a Costume Design Oscar nomination based on all the set photos so far. 

On 6/27/2022 at 9:48 PM, snarkmachine said:

One of Oppenheimer or Barbie has to move right? No use giving up BO just to prove a point

Oppenheimer is a counter-programming to the Marvels and Mission Impossible. Made for older crowd that isn't into SH and/or action. OTOH, if studio sees it as their main awards player, they might want to move it to fall or winter.

Barbie targets gays and women, obviously, and while Captain Marvel skewed male, team up could attract more women. So that would be a demo crossover. It's also a fantasy with fantasy creatures. As for awards chances, DUNC 2 is WB's main Picture player but Gossling is getting lots of insider buzz (his character is said to be the MVP), so Barbie could be their plan B play especially in acting. 

Edited by Valonqar

On 6/28/2022 at 3:48 AM, snarkmachine said:

One of Oppenheimer or Barbie has to move right? No use giving up BO just to prove a point

Different targets.

It's like Mamma mia vs The Dark Knight but this time straight people will lose. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Astonished 1

Paparazzi and online intrest in this reminds me of House of Gucci. Getting the same vibes. Gucci did really well in tough circumstances so this should do better in normal one. I also assume rating will be PG-13 not R.

Edited by Valonqar

3 hours ago, vale9001 said:

Different targets.

It's like Mamma mia vs The Dark Knight but this time straight people will lose. 

Straight people did lose in the UK - Mamma Mia was the highest grossing film ever here for years.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1