grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

On 4/5/2023 at 8:45 AM, Last Man Standing said:

I don't think they're really doing meme marketing, the memes are organic.

I don't know how the film  will be,but the marketing team is doing a briliant job of getting free publcity for the movie.

I admit I hope it is good becase I am from Sacramento and you have to root for the home town girl. I  have been to every damn location Gerwig shot at in "Ladybird".

I gotta say, I don't really understand the "rivalry" the internet seems to have between this movie and Oppenheimer lol. Seeing a lot of "Oppenheimer fans have been real quiet since the Barbie trailer dropped." Uh, sure? Didn't really think there were a lot of Oppenheimer 'fans' but what would they have to talk about?

This reminds me of the Star Is Born vs Venom rivalry, where (a small internet minority, mind you) of Gaga fans seemed to be going after Venom when in reality, the two films couldn't be more different from each other, and both can co-exist just fine. One's a 3 hour World War 2-set drama, one's a colorful family/millenial comedy. 

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

I gotta say, I don't really understand the "rivalry" the internet seems to have between this movie and Oppenheimer lol. Seeing a lot of "Oppenheimer fans have been real quiet since the Barbie trailer dropped." Uh, sure? Didn't really think there were a lot of Oppenheimer 'fans' but what would they have to talk about?

This reminds me of the Star Is Born vs Venom rivalry, where (a small internet minority, mind you) of Gaga fans seemed to be going after Venom when in reality, the two films couldn't be more different from each other, and both can co-exist just fine. One's a 3 hour World War 2-set drama, one's a colorful family/millenial comedy. 

It's an easy "men vs women" narrative.

Theatrical has contracted somewhat since the pandemic, it feels like there's just one real headline grabber opening per weekend most weekends, so this is a different scenario. Even before with the Venom vs A Star Is Born face-off, there was the attitude that "there can only be one", a winner and a loser. A false feud but the press/social media/forums thrive on drama.

How often do two Oscar-nominated directors open movies on the same day, especially post-2020? Both movies are hotly anticipated yet wild cards in oddly similar ways.

Nolan had a very public, acrimonious split from his long-time studio WB, who released four of his movies on the third weekend of July (Tenet had that date scheduled in 2020 but had to be moved). So, WB picking that release date for Barbie, to go head-to-head with Oppenheimer, strikes some as a  bit...deliberate. Surely, it would be better for both to have separate dates to maximize the PLF potential? There's an eagerness to see which one will come out on top.

But this is a pretty online rivalry, overall, I'd agree.

I think a lot of it is ironic rivalry but I also think it's going to help both films in the end (at least, not make them coming out on the same day all that bad). I think Oppenheimer has a pretty safe floor and Barbie has a really high ceiling that assuming it's good, it can hit. In the end, I think Oppenheimer is gonna do at least 110-120m if it's good and Barbie has 200m+ potential. There's going to be plenty of people who only care for Barbie and a fair amount of people who have no interest in it but will see Oppenheimer. And I think there's gonna be a really large group willing to see both as long as they're good.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 5

This and Oppenheimer seem like the perfect movies to open opposite each other out of everything coming out this summer tbh. Very different demos. This is going to be the first movie targeting females of all ages since The Little Mermaid by the time it comes out, and while this is highly unlikely to be as massive as that will be, it should also have similarly little difficulty branching out into other demographics given all the talent involved. Oppenheimer will be mostly aimed at older audiences (a demo that hasn't been entirely reliable at the multiplex since theaters reopened, mind you). Both of these movies are among the bigger gambles of the summer that could go any which way possible even on paper (Oppenheimer definitely more so, Barbie looks like the ideal sort of movie for summer with all the colors and fun vibes), but there's certainly plenty of room for both to do well, and the fact August is looking to be mostly made up of product limited in appeal means that they're going to be playing into the first few weeks of the fall movie season at least.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, YSLDC said:

Birds Of Prey was very popular on Twitter too.. just saying 

Not before it´s digital release, in fact stats for the marketing was absolutely awful 

It just finds it´s audience once it hits PVOD and streaming, it´s not the same case with Barbie

Edited by ThomasNicole

https://thequorum.com/this-week-in-unaided-awareness-some-good-news-for-barbie/

Finally, some good news for BARBIE. Unaided awareness for the film jumped from 2.2% to 4.9% this week.

What is unaided awareness? And how is it different than traditional awareness? To measure unaided awareness, we ask people which upcoming films they know about. They aren’t prompted, nor do we give them a list of upcoming movies. Each respondent can list as many films as they like.

Total awareness, which you see here, is slightly different. In this case, we give people a list of movies along with a poster and a description of the film. As you can imagine, the numbers are much higher. So, for example, Unaided awareness for GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, VOL. 3 is 6.7%, whereas it’s 53% in total awareness.

The table above lists all the films that registered at least 1% unaided. As expected, SUPER MARIO BROS. ranks #1 with 18% unaided awareness. But look at the BARBIE numbers. It now ranks 4th among all films with nearly 5% unaided. That’s an impressive number, and it speaks to how well the memeification of the BARBIE artwork has taken hold.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, filmlover said:

This and Oppenheimer seem like the perfect movies to open opposite each other out of everything coming out this summer tbh. Very different demos. This is going to be the first movie targeting females of all ages since The Little Mermaid by the time it comes out, and while this is highly unlikely to be as massive as that will be, it should also have similarly little difficulty branching out into other demographics given all the talent involved. Oppenheimer will be mostly aimed at older audiences (a demo that hasn't been entirely reliable at the multiplex since theaters reopened, mind you). Both of these movies are among the bigger gambles of the summer that could go any which way possible even on paper (Oppenheimer definitely more so, Barbie looks like the ideal sort of movie for summer with all the colors and fun vibes), but there's certainly plenty of room for both to do well, and the fact August is looking to be mostly made up of product limited in appeal means that they're going to be playing into the first few weeks of the fall movie season at least.

It's like The Dark Knight and Mamma Mia! on a smaller scale. 

3 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

It totally works here, too bad Mattel hates the song.

you cant blame them, like at all

• Like 1