grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

42 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

yeah but no one cared about who was making an HP movies and it was already the  third chapter of the saga, an easy success.

I think Parasite already made Bong a bigger name than Cuaron after HP.

I agree with you  asians directors making american movies usually it's not that good of a thing...but imo Parasite was already a really really hollywoodian movie after all.

All of his movies lean into Western style or Hollywood stye. It's part of why he's so popular in the states and other Korean directors aren't as popular in the states... Only one that maybe isn't is Barking Dogs Never Bite. Maybe. Kinda is too though. He's been a name stateside since The Host in got a decent release stateside in 2007.

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t know if I’m looking forward to people inevitably wanting Gerwig to direct the Supergirl movie. I’m pretty sure people on Reddit are already expecting that. 

Does feel weird that WB just let the director of their biggest OW of 2023 just walk off to Netflix lol

seems a no factor in all Asia.  South karea sales are low too and the cast even went there for a promo event. 

Let's see what happens in Japan. Sometimes things play different there. Also in the Philippines could make decent. 

Edited by vale9001

20 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

seems a no factor in all Asia.  South karea sales are low too and the cast even went there for a promo event. 

Let's see what happens in Japan. Sometimes things play different there. Also in the Philippines could make decent. 

Yeah Japan is an old market so some things that are non factor elsehwhere in Asia aka new markets do well there (Star Wars for example) .

Edited by Valonqar

29 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I’m shocked it’s not doing well in Asia, I thought it would do huge numbers in at least China, but China seems to

prefer action films from the USA although Aladdin did huge numbers there.

11 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Comedy is one of those genres that doesn't translate in certain markets

This movie is beyond comedy. This movie is a perfect example of how memes can make people watch a movie of a genre in which they aren't interested.

3 hours ago, TMP said:

Does feel weird that WB just let the director of their biggest OW of 2023 just walk off to Netflix lol

psh that Barbie 2 paycheck is going to be nuts