grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Taking down Deathly Hallows 2 to be WB's biggest movie ever

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

Ryan Gosling's fanbase is almost entirely younger straight men lol

Pretty sure that's not exactly true when The Notebook and La La Land are arguably his most famous starring vehicles (Drive is up there but has always been more of a cult favorite than a mainstream one). Not to mention the "Hey Girl" meme lmao. He's largely avoided the heartthrob-type roles that his fans want to see him in for most of his career.

Either way, this does look like a 4-quad hit so far and not like something that'll see its hype mostly reduced to online. I hope neither this or Oppenheimer end up blinking away from that same weekend.

• Like 4

On another note, I must say it's pretty refreshing to see all these summer movies beginning their marketing campaigns in time for the holiday tentpoles again. Just goes to show that the effects of the pandemic on movie marketing were going to be short-lived after all.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Pretty sure that's not exactly true when The Notebook and La La Land are arguably his most famous starring vehicles (Drive is up there but has always been more of a cult favorite than a mainstream one). Not to mention the "Hey Girl" meme lmao. He's largely avoided the heartthrob-type roles that his fans want to see him in for most of his career.

Either way, this does look like a 4-quad hit so far and not like something that'll see its hype mostly reduced to online. I hope neither this or Oppenheimer end up blinking away from that same weekend.

Oh I hope that too! And I feel the same about The Flash and Elemental on June 16. Give us those busy mega weekends!

24 minutes ago, filmlover said:

On another note, I must say it's pretty refreshing to see all these summer movies beginning their marketing campaigns in time for the holiday tentpoles again. Just goes to show that the effects of the pandemic on movie marketing were going to be short-lived after all.

And I agree with you again here. Abso-freaking-lutely! It's making me feel really good and optimistic about 2023. That, and several non IP mid-budger movies are surfacing and being dated. 2023 really.looks like the first normal release schedule since 2019.

The Twitter reaction from RT verified critics is terrifying.  At least 50% are stan accounts for actresses. 

"YASSS Queen Margot slay! Step on me!!! Gretta Gerwig? More like Greta GerWIG cuz she snatched mine! Oppenheimer? More like we don't know her!" 

Do we expect these people to be objective about the movie when they review it? 

Imagine Rober Ebert going, "on next week's show we'll review Sleepless in Seattle and Jurassic Park. But I don't care how big those dinosaurs paws are, I know Queen Meg will be the one STEPPING ON MY NECK! Spielberg who?? Until then, the balcony is closed!" 

• Astonished 1

1 minute ago, Flopped said:

The Twitter reaction from RT verified critics is terrifying.  At least 50% are stan accounts for actresses. 

"YASSS Queen Margot slay! Step on me!!! Gretta Gerwig? More like Greta GerWIG cuz she snatched mine! Oppenheimer? More like we don't know her!" 

Imagine Rober Ebert going, "on next week's show we'll review Sleepless in Seattle and Jurassic Park. But I don't care how big those dinosaurs paws are, I know Queen Meg will be the one STEPPING ON MY NECK! Spielberg who?? Until then, the balcony is closed!" 

cope

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Okay.

24 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Critics are normal persons like you and me, they have their tastes and their own bias. 

Do you really believe Robert Ebert doesn't have his faves? Lol 

There's not 1 single review ever written that is 100% objective, we're people not robots. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

I don't see it having 4-quad appeal (especially with older men) but it will attract a bit more people beyond its target demo thanks to the way it's marketed and currently perceived as a fun guilty pleasure party event that you can ironically enjoy with friends

And TikTok will be all over this movie if they aren't already

The teaser is spectacular, everything after the minute mark is just perfection

When Ken does that fighting stance, I really felt it

love how much energy it all seems to have

really happy to see that this got uploaded in the kids-only mattel channel, soft-confirmation that this probably wont be a 2 hour long metaphor for sexual politics

Edited by interiorgatordecorator