CJohn

Kong: Skull Island | March 10, 2017 | Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, John Goodman | Crosses 500M WW

Went to a screening today. The majority of the crowd had thinning hair, bald spots, or no hair at all. Jurassic Park depended on Millennial nostalgia. Kong will have to work its Baby Boomer nostalgia. The audience cheered and clapped multiple times throughout the movie. The previews before it were Blade Runner 2049 and King Arthur. 

As for my impressions, I felt the story was very basic, but no worse than the likes of Jurassic World or any Marvel movie. The visuals were fantastic. The setting was fantastic We've got the whole Vietnam era vibe in a mysterious and beautiful landscape. IMO, Skull Island is the true star of the film, over the all-star cast and Kong himself. I thought the action was rather pedestrian, but again, no worse than the likes of Jurassic World. I guess what I'm trying to say is, this is basically Jurassic World with more adventure, action, and weirder monsters. Too bad it's looking to make 1/5 of JW

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Campea is the only one out of that gang worth listening. He's fun and has common sense under all the fanboying zeal. The rest of them, blech. 

Didn't he think Man of Steel was the best film of 2013?  Like seriously brah?  I need more than just a bunch of shit happening all over the screen man.

Edit: Spellchecker is annoying brah

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1

couple of folks at KJ saw this last night. Their reviews are positive. I think with decent reviews and strong push next week it could still open to 60m+..

Spoiler

[quote="Dil"]This film is a BIG crowdpleaser. My crowd really ate it up and those who were disappointed with Godzilla or Jurassic World will be more than satisfied IMO. I hope it does well, because I definitely want to see more of this Kong in the future.

Also, the after credits scene was fucking dope.[/quote]

Movie was enjoyable, I'm gonna guess reviews will be okay.WB will probably push marketing hard next week.

• Like 3

Spoiler

My crowd really ate it up and those who were disappointed with Godzilla or Jurassic World will be more than satisfied IMO.

Interesting conclusion, seeing as the disappointing part of those two movies are quite different. I'm getting more and more positive about this movie with every day.

I think WB needs to somehow push the fact this is NOT the same old King Kong story. How they do that, I'm not sure. 

If everything aligns right could have a solid opening because there's been nothing but positive responses.

Edited by Cookson
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Everytime that I watch the trailer on theaters, it always get great reactions from people, WB is clearly the best studio when comes to marketing.

If only their movies were as good as their trailers....

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

If only their movies were as good as their trailers....

American Sniper.Mad Max,Lego Batman,Fantastic Beasts,Creed,The Conjuring 2,Lights Out,The Nice Guys,Sully,Midnight Special....

Warner makes bad and good movies...like every studio.

Edited by efialtes76
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

American Sniper.Mad Max,Lego Batman,Fantastic Beasts,Creed,The Conjuring 2,Lights Out,The Nice Guys,Sully,Midnight Special....

Warner makes bad and good movies...like every studio.

Legendary is the the studio behind Kong Skull Island anyway. Thomas Tull, is the producer, lol. This movie had its director, cast, and release date set while it was supposed to be a movie for Universal. It was moved to Warner right before the first set pics were released. Maybe if Universal distributed Kong it'd be a better movie...

Btw, you'll notice Warner has been known to be a pretty bad studio since its 2014 announcement of basing itself off of its main franchises: DCEU, Wizarding World, and Lego. Nerds have been suppressed so long that they believe in survival of only one in their niche. So we got the Marvel v DC and to a lesser extent Pixar v every other animation studio. Franchise wars, right? 

I find it funny that so many people find so much pride in their ability to judge a movie by recognizing the logo that appears at the beginning of it. Or how much joy they take when the movies of "opposing" studios do poorly. I don't know how such things actually benefit their lives other than maybe giving them some feeling of security or superiority that they chose to be a bandwagon fan of a studio that makes the most money and is loved by the majority of the world? I guess the need for acceptance is higher up in Maslow's hierarchy and there are a lot of insecure nerds out there.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Didn't he think Man of Steel was the best film of 2013?  Like seriously brah?  I need more than just a bunch of shit happening all over the screen man.

Edit: Spellchecker is annoying brah

Screw spellchecker on the Internet. ;)

2 hours ago, UrosepsisFace said:

I find it funny that so many people find so much pride in their ability to judge a movie by recognizing the logo that appears at the beginning of it. Or how much joy they take when the movies of "opposing" studios do poorly. I don't know how such things actually benefit their lives other than maybe giving them some feeling of security or superiority that they chose to be a bandwagon fan of a studio that makes the most money and is loved by the majority of the world? I guess the need for acceptance is higher up in Maslow's hierarchy and there are a lot of insecure nerds out there.

Franchise wars are indeed awful, but they seem to fuel about 90% of the conversation on this forum.

• Like 1