Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

32 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I wish someone would tell Guy Ritchie to ease up on his style every now and then. It's fine when used to represent Holmes' "superpowers" but when used in "real" action sequences like the escape from that prison/lab/fortress place it just felt extremely self-indulgent.

That being said, if you like the first Sherlock, you'll like this one. The banter between Holmes and Watson is expectedly entertaining and the mystery is more grounded and interesting here, as Moriarty makes for an intimidating villain.

B+

I liked this probably as much as the original. Loved how clever the script was in its many foreshadowing shots/scenes but doesn't make it too obvious (or there's so much going on you just miss/ignore it). I was concerned that Downey Jr.'s Holmes would ware thin (kind of like Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow) but I was pleasantly surprised that it was still fresh. I also liked that Watson (Jude Law) had a lot more to do in this one by comparison.A-

I felt that they really upped their game for this one, though I still can't imagine it winning over anyone who disliked the first one. RDJ and Law are as great together as they were in the last, also Jared Harris made for an awesome Moriaty and Stephen Fry was enjoyable in his role, forgot that he was in this. Noomi Rapace felt a little bit pointless though. A-

Sherlock 22:15 PMAbout 80% full, one of the most crowded films of the year along with Rango, Pirates 4 and Real Steel (Yes I'm not joking)Mostly people above 40. (Not as old as the audience in the first one though)Trailers:Only one had ANY reaction really. You can guess which one :PIron Lady: Not much really other then someone saying "Boring" it does look it, though it might be okay.John Carter (New trailer): Finally a new trailer. Looks okay.Battleship: "This looks like a straight up Transformers Ripoff" Oh wait that was me saying that :PJack the Giant Killer: Looks decent.GI Joe 2: Actually looks decent. The audience laughed at the Bruce Willis part.The Dark Knight Rises: The entire theater clapped. Really, people were clapping big time at the title.Movie: Great, better then the first. The audience really enjoyed it, laughed as well. This was darker then the first one. The music really good even if its nearly the same. RDJ continues to be great. And hey, that was Richard Harris son. Tons of WW1 references to the event that would happen nearly 25 years after the film. Jude Law was enjoyable. The girl was not that bad either. I believe this is her first English role, kind of intresting since she speaks better English then some people. Some great lines, like the the line about how Watson is not as slow like Sherlock says (A reference to how the old movies falsey potrayed him) Can't wait till the 3rd one.A

I voted B in the poll but I would actually give a B+. I liked it better than the first one. RDJ does a great job, again, of playing this character and Law pretty much keeps right up with him. They're banter together was even better than before. I also liked that Holmes got hurt physically in this one much more so than he did in the first. The sequence when they're running from the factory was simply awesome. The final scene between Holmes and Moriarity was great as well. I loved how they could both see what the outcome of the fight would be if they went head to head against each other. The very last scene of the movie was brilliant. I truly hope it does well enough for the studio to allow them to make another one.

AMy Holiday movie choices have thus far been a hat trick of success.I did think the bromance was a tad overplayed and heavy handed during the first act.However, once Moriarity really steps up his plan in Act II the movie returns much more form. So that if you enjoyed the first you should like this film as well.

Eh, there are great bits but then there's a lot more eh? than the first.Moriarty doesn't seem very menacing honestly. I mean, his acting is superb, but his plan, and I fault the scriptwriter, is really weak. Why is he doing all of it? To get rich? ...Noomi Rapace's character was pretty much needless which makes me wonder why they removed McAdams from the equation. I guess to focus on the rivalry between Holmes and Moriarty. That and his banter with Watson was aces. Really spot on most of the time and kept the movie going.I think that the chemistry between the leads, the stylized action, quickfire scenes of intelligence and pace keeps you from thinking about the otherwise weak plot.

As a fan of the first one (give it an A-), I found this one to be a disappointment. The action sequences and slow-motion used during the film was far too reminiscent of the first Sherlock, and it often made me feel like the filmmakers simply didn't have any desire whatsoever in being creative. Robert Downey Jr, an actor I love, simply did not work too well in this film. His charisma saves him, but his delivery and accent made me roll my eyes far more than necessary. Jude Law was the best and easily the standout among the entire xast. Whoever played the French woman was good, but her character in the end seemed a bit pointless. Nevertheless, it definitely has its moments. Some of the action scenes were orchestrated well, and I enjoyed seeing Rachel McAdams again, even if it was only for a few minutes. Moriarty was decent as a villain, but I couldn't help but feel that he never, not even once, felt like a genuine threat. It has a good ending, though, and there are some funny scenes interspersed. Also, McAdams was a far better female lead. It's a shame she was killed off.

C+

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 1

One of the weaker films I've seen in 2011.

The dark atmosphere simply doesn't work when the tone of the movie is needlessly light and downright silly. Not once do you ever feel that the characters are in any real danger, and Guy Ritchie's style is close to being just as annoying as the 3D fad.

Not really much to recommend here.

D+

I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. I did like the first but it wasn't great to me, but I felt this was better. RDJ and Law play off each other well and I liked Moriarty. Not a great movie, but entertaining and was a good continuation of the first filmB+

I was just watching it last night but I couldn't get into it. The first half hour bored me and after that I sort of had it on as background noise while I read. I think when I get it in the right frame of mind I'll give it a grade, but right now I'll just say incomplete.

Edited by DAR

I finally got to watch the film in a better frame of mind. I still think the first half hour isn't very engaging, but once they get on the train the film picks up considerably. And the chemistry between Downey and Law is still great. I really liked Jared Harris' Moriarity. Noomi Rapace was just okay in here role. Overall I liked it but not as much as the first B

Finally saw this on BD. Ok film, easily good enough for a fun evening. As mentioned before, the slowmo doesn't add anything and sometimes even breaks tension; other aspects were fine (cinematography, light, costumes). The Holmes character is far from the one portrayed in the books but that's what makes these films tick, I'm ok with that, he and Watson have nice chemistry. Harris was very good as Moriarty, Rapace nice as the gipsy lady - a shame that Stephen Fry's Mycroft was underused and badly written.There were some factual errors (german engineers in the late 19th were proud NOT to use the old-fashioned gothic typesets) but also some nice touches - my favourite being the use of the titular track from "Two Mules for Sister Sara", that put a big grin on my face.