CJohn

Predator | 14th September, 2018 | Shane Black to Co-Write and Direct

Black not giving Olivia Munn the choice on whether to work with his creeper friend, especially after what happened to her, is pretty freaking gross. Yes sex offenders should be allowed to get jobs but no those job options do not have to include working on freaking multi million dollar movies where it's often easy to gain access to children.

• Like 5

I'm weighing my shallow opinions off Black's decision after reading the Deadline article.  It seems Black put enough thought into it, and directors who oversee thousands of people per project probably know more about what goes on then anyone else.  Perhaps people just get too touchy/feely in general on set too?

Edited by dX airdry zid

4 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Black not giving Olivia Munn the choice on whether to work with his creeper friend, especially after what happened to her, is pretty freaking gross. Yes sex offenders should be allowed to get jobs but no those job options do not have to include working on freaking multi million dollar movies where it's often easy to gain access to children.

Shane has cast this guy in some of his recent movies without facing any problems. being his friend he probably knows the guy made a huge and sick mistake 10 years ago and is trying to help him get back to his feet. I think people like you who assume this guy is just going to walk round the set trying to molest children when he can are massively overreacting, there's hundreds of people on sets so I imagine it's a safe environment. As wrong as it is trying to entice underagers into sexual acts it's not as if he's actually physically assaulted someone sexually. 

I also don't get why Munn deserve to have a choice, she is not a child, how is this man a threat to her in any way? it's been 10 years, he's served his time, give the guy a chance.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Jessie said:

Shane has cast this guy in some of his recent movies without facing any problems. being his friend he probably knows the guy made a huge and sick mistake 10 years ago and is trying to help him get back to his feet. I think people like you who assume this guy is just going to walk round the set trying to molest children when he can are massively overreacting, there's hundreds of people on sets so I imagine it's a safe environment. As wrong as it is trying to entice underagers into sexual acts it's not as if he's actually physically assaulted someone sexually. 

I also don't get why Munn deserve to have a choice, she is not a child, how is this man a threat to her in any way? it's been 10 years, he's served his time, give the guy a chance.

This. The whole controversy about it is just bullshit. The guy served his sentence a long time ago, Shane didn't hide it, it's a public information, anyone could check it. Shane doesn't deserve that shitstorm from idiotic twitter mob groups.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 2

How exactly was Black supposed to let his cast know that is friend was a former sex offender though. What would he tell them? "Hey guys gather round see that guy over there, yea he was a sex offender, do you still want to work on the movie or not?" It would just seem like a very strange conversation to have with your cast members out of the blue like that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Well, it's not like I was gonna see this anyway. I seem to stand alone on this forum as really disliking much of Black's work - Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and The Nice Guys were like being winked at non-stop for an hour and a half. 

yeah those films do require you to have a sense of humour for maximum enjoyment

• Like 1

Damage control mode

https://ew.com/movies/2018/09/06/the-predator-shane-black-apologizes/

“Having read this morning’s news reports, it has sadly become clear to me that I was misled by a friend I really wanted to believe was telling me the truth when he described the circumstances of his conviction,” Black said in a statement obtained my EW. “I believe strongly in giving people second chances — but sometimes you discover that chance is not as warranted as you may have hoped.

“After learning more about the affidavit, transcripts, and additional details surrounding Steve Striegel’s sentence, I am deeply disappointed in myself,” the statement continued. “I apologize to all of those, past and present, I’ve let down by having Steve around them without giving them a voice in the decision.”