Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

Disney was saying $60-65 m opening this w/e.  Now they usually low ball by about $5-10m but not $20m-30m. 

They're probably also making a ton of money from Rocket stuff toys.

Remember when TA was tracking around 150m+. :ph34r:

• Like 5

Fantastic Number for "Guardians".  100 OW though?  I don't know about that.  August record is toast though.  

Yep, August record is gonna get murdered. People are getting ahead of themselves with the rest of this talk though.

• Like 1

lol fantastic number but people here just prove themselves to be superhero/Marvel fanboys with $100m OW.

If CA:TWS couldn't do it being a sequel and starring an already popular character from the Avengers, why would this go up to $118m? WTF?

People ignoring the time and day and month that it's opening? Wouldn't be the first time though.

Remember when TA was tracking around 150m+. :ph34r:

I think being off that much then was more understandable.  No other movie opened that high before or even near it. With this movie there is far more data on hand for comparisons with previous movies.  Still Fridays number will tell us more than Thur.  I remember when TWS hit $10m Thur there were calls for a $110m w/e

• Like 2

This just goes to show how strong the Marvel brand is what I've been telling you people for a long long time. Never doubt the Marvel brand. It also goes to show that ALOT of non comic book fans has been transformed into comic book movie fans especially for Marvel movies. This train isn't going to slow down.  B)

• Like 1

lol fantastic number but people here just prove themselves to be superhero/Marvel fanboys with $100m OW.

If CA:TWS couldn't do it being a sequel and starring an already popular character from the Avengers, why would this go up to $118m? WTF?

People ignoring the time and day and month that it's opening? Wouldn't be the first time though.

Um.

Posted Image

We just want to have fun. :P

So, I don't want to jump the gun to soon, but Disney might have found their new Iron Man?

The whole board has jumped the gun, as usual.

When this doesn't do $100m OW, when it proves to be frontloaded, (hopefully not to the tune of like $60-70m which is still possible), when it gets dubious legs like every other movie so far this summer despite WOM, let us remember that it's not a disappointment.

Seriously this could still end up in the low 70s and people are clamouring $100m locks and $90m floors and whatnot.

• Like 1

Exactly. Cap 2 did 10 million on a Thursday night in early April! This did 11 million on a Thursday night in late July!

Apples and oranges. 

I think it sells when people realize it is the Avengers Universe. If they are trying to sell Spider-Man, it doesn't help because people know it isn't connected. X-Men may be Marvel, but people seem to look at it as a completely different thing. 

Because it is! :unsure: