Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

5 hours ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

IS this film really introducing Captain Marvel Jr, Mary Marvel and a whole bunch of other recently-added members of the Shazam family? I could swear that I keep hearing that. 

Also, Hello!!!! :D 

Hi, how are your?

Regarding the Shazam Family, there's already merch featuring them so it is confirmed. But I'm more excited for the kid interactions.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Well, let's not get too carried away. The only two DC films that are as beloved by audiences as well-regarded by film critics are substantially different, tonally, aesthetically, and narratively, from the very distinctive world that Snyder created and established in MOS and BvS. Wonder Woman and Aquaman were bright and hopeful, and they adhered closely to the comic book essence of both characters. And Shazam, which is getting advanced raves,  looks as close to an MCU film as DC will ever get (and let's not get it twisted, the MCUverse is the spiritual opposite of the Sniderverse) 

I didn't see Home Alone and Big and these other comparisons thrown around for any other comic movies. Tells me that Shazam is truly something different...   of course there will be stans who say any DC film that is good must have ripped off another entity but that's simply ridiculous. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Hi, how are your?

Regarding the Shazam Family, there's already merch featuring them so it is confirmed. But I'm more excited for the kid interactions.

But what will they call them? Surely not Captain Marvel Jr. or Mary Marvel?

Adults are less likely to watch a movie with teenage leads, while the theoretical target audience is at home playing Fortnite. With good reviews Shazam should do very well in the US (given the budget) but remain a bit more "niche" than the average superhero film overseas.

Final Prediction

$260M DOM / $500 WW

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Adults are less likely to watch a movie with teenage leads, while the theoretical target audience is at home playing Fortnite. With good reviews Shazam should do very well in the US (given the budget) but remain a bit more "niche" than the average superhero film overseas.

Final Prediction

$260M DOM / $500 WW

That should be enough to greenlit the sequel.

1 hour ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Months ago this had $700M potential, crazy to see it slowly lose steam.

How come? I think from the very beginning most people were predicting 200 to 250 DOM and 500 WW myself included in this very same thread.

It is something new and some GA would look at it as if it’s kids stuff. And it’s sandwiched between two huge blockbusters. I would love to be surprised like I was with Aquaman. But the 500WW mark is good for this on this budget.

can’t wait to see it in theaters. 

• Like 1

I guess we’ll get to test the true power of the cbm genre when this releases, coming a month after CM and 3 weeks before Endgame, if this can break out also that would be pretty crazy. 

Not expecting huge numbers but hopefully enough for a sequel. 

1 minute ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

We have greats social media reactions and people are still all doom and gloom....

Well it is just my random prediction and it is actually pretty decent: almost x2 BOP long range tracking domestically.

With a budget of, say, $120M, it would make Shazam both very successful financially (more than enough for a sequel) and disappointing for a superhero movie in 2019. That's how much the genre dominates at the moment.

3 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Well it is just my random prediction and it is actually pretty decent: almost x2 BOP long range tracking domestically.

With a budget of, say, $120M, it would make Shazam both very successful financially (more than enough for a sequel) and disappointing for a superhero movie in 2019. That's how much the genre dominates at the moment.

Yeah but 260 DOM and just 500WW total? Can't see that ratio even with competition. Unless you meant 500OS which would be huge. 

14 minutes ago, Emerald kikyou said:

How come? I think from the very beginning most people were predicting 200 to 250 DOM and 500 WW myself included in this very same thread.

It is something new and some GA would look at it as if it’s kids stuff. And it’s sandwiched between two huge blockbusters. I would love to be surprised like I was with Aquaman. But the 500WW mark is good for this on this budget.

can’t wait to see it in theaters. 

I’m sure other people, me included, were predicting $300M DOM and $700M+ WW for this. I may be wrong though. The superhero craze is at an all time high and this movie is very different from the usual cbms and has quadrant appeal. It’s sandwiched between Captain Marvel and Endgame yes but it has a clear window and enough space from both of them. Either way it definitely won’t flop with its budget. 

I don't know what some of you are smoking but this is going past 600 M easily. Reactions are absolutely stellar, it's going to be an even bigger crowdpleaser than Aquaman, the marketing will actually continue to ramp up as we get closer to release, "small" budget, all the ingredients are there. 

• Like 3