Noctis

La La Land | Now Playing | Record-Tieing 14 Oscar Noms and Record-Breaking 16 BOFFY Noms

19 minutes ago, ban1o said:

lol trump didn't win because of celebrities lol but it is pathetic I agree. 

Actually I would say the sentiment of La La Land and it's nostalgic throwback to musicals to the 30-50's  is a similar sentiment that got Trump elected. People longing for a "better time" 

But yeah there's no way this loses this is basically a love letter to hollywood

Actually he did lol. The election was a total rebuke of elitism which is why all the celebrities supporting Hillary had a negative effect in her motivating voters/drove people to Trump. I know it seems petty but remember this guy is famous for reality TV.

24 minutes ago, ban1o said:

not everyone loves it. If you just go on twitter you see a lot of people dislike it lol. 

but yes dude bro film twitter like it when they usually dislike musicals. Probably due to Ryan gosling and Chazelle. 

I know not everyone likes it, that's why I qualified it with "virtually". There is no such thing as a universally liked movie, no matter how popular a movie is there will always be some whose tastes run different or who just like being contrarians.

Reviews and audience scores point to LLL being extremely well liked by both critics and audiences, unless all you look at is the IMDB board which just trashes it, but that site is the most troll infested site in existence. Going by IMDB boards you'd think every movie ever made was a steaming pile of shit that everyone hates.:P

Just now, Incarnadine said:

I know not everyone likes it, that's why I qualified it with "virtually". There is no such thing as a universally liked movie, no matter how popular a movie is there will always be some whose tastes run different or who just like being contrarians.

Reviews and audience scores point to LLL being extremely well liked by both critics and audiences, unless all you look at is the IMDB board which just trashes it, but that site is the most troll infested site in existence. Going by IMDB boards you'd think every movie ever made was a steaming pile of shit that everyone hates.:P

I didn't mention imdb. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Actually he did lol. The election was a total rebuke of elitism which is why all the celebrities supporting Hillary had a negative effect in her motivating voters/drove people to Trump. I know it seems petty but remember this guy is famous for reality TV.

eh I don't think celebrities had much to do with it. Trump is also a celebrity (although his stupid fans forget thaT) I really don't think celebrities endorsing Hillary had anything to do with his win. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Please, Trump is a reality TV star "billionaire" celebrity who slobbers all over himself.  It would be hard to find anyone more up their own gilded twittering ass.

La La Land was a technically beautifully made film so I'm not surprised at most of the nominations even if I didn't care for the music and thought it mostly just OK with some great parts.

Hollywood represents the elite and Trump doesn't. I know that sounds crazy given the facts but that's not the perception. Look it's not a point about the quality of La LA Land more how hollywood is obsessed with itself and their bubble is as prominent as any in the country.

15 minutes ago, AndyLL said:

Wow... 2 more than Fury Road @Telemachos :ph34r:

4 more. But we know MMFR also deserved nominations for Actress, Supporting Actor, Screenplay and Score. Clearly it just needed a killer original tune or two and it could have set the record

Edited by Jake Gittes

1 minute ago, ban1o said:

eh I don't think celebrities had much to do with it. Trump is also a celebrity (although his stupid fans forget thaT) I really don't think celebrities endorsing Hillary had anything to do with his win. 

Agree to disagree, look at how his supporters reacted went he went after Streep. They loved it. 

Well, I fucking loved it and I've never set a foot in Hollywood, but hey, it's always fun to see people call a certain movie overrated. It's fine, I would call many of the movies some of you loved overrated myself, it's just opinions.

lol @ that political conversation around it by the way 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Well, I fucking loved it and I've never set a foot in Hollywood, but hey, it's always fun to see people call a certain movie overrated. It's fine, I would call many of the movies some of you loved overrated myself, it's just opinions.

Hollywood lives in one of the biggest bubbles in the country & their support didn't help Hillary get elected. Fair or foul? I get this is a bit off topic here but do you understand the point? It's all subjective on quality of this film so those arguments don't really resolve themselves.

19 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Overrated, a term people use when they liked a movie less than other people did. That was my experience with La La Land, but I prefer to just say I was disappointed with it. I'll use the phrase critically overrated for films critics like but audiences don't, but that clearly isn't the case here.

11 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Hollywood lives in one of the biggest bubbles in the country & their support didn't help Hillary get elected. Fair or foul? I get this is a bit off topic here but do you understand the point? It's all subjective on quality of this film so those arguments don't really resolve themselves.

It is off-topic - because there's also no compelling evidence that a backlash against Hollywood was a significant factor in Hillary not being elected. The regional and demographic changes in voting patterns, as well as the concerns directly expressed in polls, both suggest that Trump supporters were mainly driven by a number of concerns and priorities other than sticking it to Hollywood. So there's no reason to think that a less insular Hollywood would have made a difference in this election, close as it was.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 8

17 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

You said it, guy from the Bay Area.

13 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

To put La La Land in the same league as Titanic, Ben Hur, ROTK (due to the amount of noms) is a joke and the media will definitely focus in on that since it's such a weak year. That's my opinion but I'd bet I'm not alone.

La La Land is a.significantly better movie than RotK

• Like 1