CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

Warner Bros. has always had a serious "Superman problem."  They can't seem to figure it out since Donner...and when they think they do, they inevitably screw it up...or allow a filmmaker to. 

Serious question being pondered at Warner Bros. right now:  Where do you go with this character in his current iteration for a solo film?  They've introduced him, shown his "dilemmas," killed him off, and 

Spoiler

resurrected him

So now what?  What story is interesting for audiences beyond that?  From a spectacle standpoint, a Brainiac invasion would essentially feel like "more of the same" like Zod & co.  Myxpltlk?  Crazy as it may seem...a satire seems the only direction to go right now...but of course no one wants anything that reminds them of Superman III.

I love the character...but it is indeed hard to make him interesting and vulnerable once you've literally

Spoiler

brought him back from death. 

I don't think there will be another Superman film with Cavill in this current iteration.

Someday there will be another Superman film, of course...but not for a while. 

I think it's very possible that he shows up in Shazam, as rumored...but who knows?

Edited by Macleod

6 minutes ago, Macleod said:

What story is interesting for audiences beyond that? 

Superman vs. The Elite? For the Man Who Has Everything? A story exploring the relationship Lois & Clark in a way Singer couldn't? Something Supergirl or Superboy related where Kal-El has to mentor a teenager who shares the same similarities as him but is even more vulnerable? There are so many options still open lol.

Wonder if, should they actually do MOS 2 (and if they do, Vaughn would be an excellent choice for director, as I think he has proven multiple times to have great style but also faithfulness to the tone of the source material he's adapting), would they desire to bring in the other Kryptonian heroes to the mix, particularly Supergirl and Krypto the Dog?

26 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Superman vs. The Elite? For the Man Who Has Everything? A story exploring the relationship Lois & Clark in a way Singer couldn't? Something Supergirl or Superboy related where Kal-El has to mentor a teenager who shares the same similarities as him but is even more vulnerable? There are so many options still open lol.

Batman/Superman : Apokolips 

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

Warner Bros. has always had a serious "Superman problem."  They can't seem to figure it out since Donner...and when they think they do, they inevitably screw it up...or allow a filmmaker to. 

Serious question being pondered at Warner Bros. right now:  Where do you go with this character in his current iteration for a solo film?  They've introduced him, shown his "dilemmas," killed him off, and 

Reveal hidden contents

So now what?  What story is interesting for audiences beyond that?  From a spectacle standpoint, a Brainiac invasion would essentially feel like "more of the same" like Zod & co.  Myxpltlk?  Crazy as it may seem...a satire seems the only direction to go right now...but of course no one wants anything that reminds them of Superman III.

I love the character...but it is indeed hard to make him interesting and vulnerable once you've literally

Reveal hidden contents

I don't think there will be another Superman film with Cavill in this current iteration.

Someday there will be another Superman film, of course...but not for a while. 

I think it's very possible that he shows up in Shazam, as rumored...but who knows?

Superman doesn't need to be physically vulnerable -- he's emotionally vulnerable.

Now that he's really embraced the mantle of classic Superman

, put those he cares about (i.e., anyone or everyone) in some sort of danger and you have the start of a story. Have the villains force him to choose between those he loves and you have a compelling dilemma.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NamakFiskKa said:

Batman/Superman : Apokolips 

That was based on the Superman: Supergirl story line. I think that could be one potential direction, though instead of Darkseid they could just have Granny Goodness and the Female Furies (and maybe other Darkseid lieutenants like Desaad and Kalibak) come to kidnap Supergirl to convert her into a Fury. Wasn't there a rumor that George Miller was interested in the sequel if Supergirl played a prominent part in it? That plot seems perfect for him.

11 hours ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Superman doesn't need to be physically vulnerable -- he's emotionally vulnerable.

Reveal hidden contents

, put those he cares about (i.e., anyone or everyone) in some sort of danger and you have the start of a story. Have the villains force him to choose between those he loves and you have a compelling dilemma.

Or when the relevance of his principles are put to the test like in the What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and the American Way?/Superman vs. The Elite storyline.

5 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

That was based on the Superman: Supergirl story line. I think that could be one potential direction, though instead of Darkseid they could just have Granny Goodness and the Female Furies (and maybe other Darkseid lieutenants like Desaad and Kalibak) come to kidnap Supergirl to convert her into a Fury. Wasn't there a rumor that George Miller was interested in the sequel if Supergirl played a prominent part in it? That plot seems perfect for him.

He's suing WB

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, mredman said:

those that have seen it are all anticipating the next Superman adventure with Cavill and Adams. BvS turned some viewers away. But Supes is now back more reborn than ever

And nobody knows this seeing as only 8 people saw Justice League

MOS2 WW < MOS WW

• Like 1

Have only heard good/great things about Superman in JL.

Considering Wonder Woman's presence didn't help JL's bo much and she did not become the IM of DCEU, it's better to have a Flash-Superman movie, say one titled 'The Fastest Man Alive' instead of having 'Flashpoint'.

Why waste Wonder Woman's mojo in movies like 'Flashpoint' if the massive 4-quad silent audience that came out for WONDR doesn't want to see her handled in a less thoughtful way than Patty did. Would rather Flash and Superman team up in 'The Fastest Man Alive' rendition or something like that.

• Like 3