grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

I'm feeling more optimistic about RPO's box office potential compared to my thinking three weeks ago. The two very recent trailers (Dreamer, Come With Me) where leaps and bounds better than the first two trailers, and the impact they made on me I'm sure was felt elsewhere. A trailer's best asset is excellent music selection, and the covers of Pure Imagination and Take On Me used in recent marketing are wonderful.

Word was good out of SXSW, and the Rotten Tomatoes score has only continued to increase since the initial batch of reviews (reminds me of Ant-Man). I was very apprehensive about the film's quality until a month ago, but it looks like it should be a genuine crowdpleaser. Before I was thinking this would top out at 120m. Now I'd say 150m.

I think I'm most excited to hear Silvestri's score. I'm expecting a good amount of musical references. I'm going to explode whenever the BTTF theme comes up (A sure bet to play given the DeLorean will make several appearances, and Silvestri)

Edited by OncomingStorm93

4 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Yeesh. The movie just had four negative reviews in a row and its average rating is now down to a 7/10.  These kinds of movies always seem to attract a greater ratio of negative reviews as they’re closer and closer to release. 

Or it's just random, I see the last 4 are all positive (including the LA Times and the NY Post).

• Like 1

Just now, MrGlass2 said:

Or it's just random, I see the last 4 are all positive (including the LA Times and the NY Post).

I’m not saying it’s some kind of conspiracy, just that it’s something I’ve noticed from a number of other movies such as Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and Blade Runner: 2049. 

As as a side note, two more negative reviews have just been added. 

I just saw this.

I thought the trailers were terrible and it seemed so unappealing to me, but I can tell you that I'm genuinely surprised by how vibrant and fun this movie is. Everyone should watch it as it only gets better the more the film progresses.

• Like 13

As I said in the tracking thread, this is selling only okay at my theater for its 7:00 (in XD) and 7:20 shows. Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up doing only okay tomorrow but does better over the weekend, especially with a nearly 2.5 hour running time.

I see 7PM and 10PM Wednesday night showings for RPO in my city which I find surprising.

Anyone actually expect them to do well? I feel marketing has been pretty bad so far, that most people won't even know about them. Not expecting good preview numbers.

It’s RT score is down to a 79% now. If it dips below 75%, I’m gonna start worrying.

That being said, the average rating is still a 7.1, though that’s kind of skewed on the count of the fact that as I mentioned about week earlier, a 10/10 review was posted twice to the website. 

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

It’s RT score is down to a 79% now. If it dips below 75%, I’m gonna start worrying.

That being said, the average rating is still a 7.1, though that’s kind of skewed on the count of the fact that as I mentioned about week earlier, a 10/10 review was posted twice to the website. 

One 10/10 review posted twice won't affect the average rating once you have a 100+reviews in. That one 10/10 review affected the average rating in a very very very minuscule way. No idea why you think it is skewed from 1 out of 100+ reviews.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

138 reviews in, it won't fluctuate too much.