LexJoker

Wednesday #s 12/17 - Hobbit3 $24-25M(Rth)

I'm no box office genius, we all know that, but as I and posters like Noctis have pointed out in several threads, for this to hit 300 mill (before this number came out) would require a jump of about 30% in admissions.  There's no way that's happening.  

• Like 1

One or two movies aside, the US BO was so boring to watch this year. A lot of movies failed to meet expectations, let alone break out.

nterstellar and MJ are the only films that failed to meet expectations and Interstellar was our own fault. Xmen, Cap 2 and GOTG all over performed imo simply because they delivered on quality. Looking back on this year, there was no big event movies this year so it's not like we should have expected big break outs. most films earned pretty much what was expected of them

nterstellar and MJ are the only films that failed to meet expectations and Interstellar was our own fault. Xmen, Cap 2 and GOTG all over performed imo simply because they delivered on quality. Looking back on this year, there was no big event movies this year so it's not like we should have expected big break outs. most films earned pretty much what was expected of them

HTTYD2, TF4, TASM 2, Godzilla, Apes, Noah? 

• Like 1

Way too early to say this will do less than Smaug. It's hard to say either way, though I still feel the previews number is promising given it's a Wednesday.

Are schools out in the US yet? They broke up yesterday here in the UK, but don't know about over there.

Godzilla, How to Train Your Dragon 2, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Transformers (to a lesser extent). Probably some others I can't think of.
  • Like 1

HTTYD2, TF4, TASM 2, Godzilla, Apes, Noah?

..HTTYD is the only one I give you. Godzila opened to 93m and sucked, i actually predicted 245 dead on for TF4, it followed the pattern of POTC 4, me and baumer can safely say we expected TaSM 2 to drop, granted not that much but still. Apes performances how many expected, it's just a shame it didn't break out into higher territory like we all hoped and Noah? Lol, you have to be joking.

The WOM might be better on this one than the other two and because it is the finale it might have better legs.  Then again, I liked it so it wouldn't shock me if most loonies don't like it.  I seem to have the opposite opinion of the Hobbit movies than most loonies.  

• Like 1

I still find DOFP gross in NA to be decent at best.

It did increase a lot from FC but it had so much damn star power in it this time. 

I agree that DOFP with enormous positive review, nostalgia of X2 cast back, JLaw being a superstar post HG and ensemble cast that they have should have at least done 250m if not end up as biggest movie of the summer. It definitely had room to do more considering X2 grossed 215m in 2d 11 years back.

But it did great in OS and I am shocked XMen movie beat a spidey movie in OS.

Way too early to say this will do less than Smaug. It's hard to say either way, though I still feel the previews number is promising given it's a Wednesday.

Are schools out in the US yet? They broke up yesterday here in the UK, but don't know about over there.

Partially yes. You can tell by the higher weekdays and the lowering jumps into weekends that schools are letting out - but they don't all let out on one day.

• Like 1

LOL

Calm down! It's the same number TTT did! Sure it won't reach 340M, but it's a nice start given it's a wednesday. It would be the 11th best opening Wednesday ever! And every film that grossed above that wednesday opening grossed more than 300M!

December is not know for huge OD and it will benefit from the lack of any other strong competition this Holidays!

Damage control.

Edited by Clef Ment
  • Like 2

But you have to look at the daily gross, without midnights / previews. It's only $13-14m, TTT was over $20m, much higher base to work with. Thursday might be lower than your $12m.

Or look at it like that, ROTK had a 5-day to total multiplier of 3. BOFA won't have Oscar buzz and wins. With $85m 5-day, that would amount to less than $255m, might be quite a bit less.

stripe this thing may even fail to each 250m, let alone 300m.

But TT did not do 11.2M previews. That makes this way more front loaded. I doubt it will come anywhere close to 300M.

I'm not saying it will follow TTT pattern or that it will gross 300M. It's still too early!

We have to look at previews and Tuesdays as they are now. Previews are not midnights anymore. They're actually almost a whole day! We could say that Wednesday gross was over half of a discount Tuesday.

On the other hand, cheap Tuesdays are very strong. This could had a higher demand for Tuesday instead of going to the cinema on Wednesday.

Also, there's a huge portion of moviegoers that have no need to rush to the cinema on a labor day when there are a weekend very close. The audience hungry for a new Hobbit entry already went last Tuesday.

You cannot guess a run with only one day to look at. I remember how people went mad after the OD of Indiana Jones 4 or TF3, and then both had really strong 5days.

• Like 1

The Hobbit is pretty much doing what it could have at this point. AUJ peaked through curiosity of returning to Middle Earth, but it and DOS weren't strong enough on their own to keep growing. On the other hand, god damn, we need something to break out NOW. I'm starting to think that Into The Woods might be our savior. If not, I wonder if we could get another strong January with Selma, American Sniper, The Wedding Ringer, and maybe even Paddington.

• Like 2