LexJoker

Weekend Numbers Jan 23-25 pg 46(AS 64 mill, Mom's cookies 15)

Okay, so I'm just throwing this around on the heels of Baumers predicts; but what if this plays OS the same way it is in Italy (not likely but still). Can anyone imagine AS reaching a Billion? For a January release? (December but whatever).

I'm not saying this is happening of course, as I don't believe it will, but if it does, I will be dumbfounded.

• Like 2

When a film connects with an audience the way this one is, rational numbers are no longer in the conversation.  A 70 mill second weekend coming off a 89 mill first weekend is truly exceptional.  When the AS over 300 thread was first made, I thought, "sure, it's possible."  Now 300 will probably be done by either next Sunday or early in the week after.  

• Like 2

How does it miss 350 million?  Big drop on Super Bowl Sunday.  Arctic air is also moving over the Midwest 7 days from now (next Saturday and Sunday) with highs around 10 degrees.  Highly populated areas of the country will be hit with snow over the next month.  I am referring to places like the East Coast cities, Chicago, Detroit, state of Ohio.  It is still a massive hit.  Just keep your expectations in the 300-350 area.

Lol as if snow has had a major impact on movies before? Most often, snow or cold temperatures don't have much of an impact on box office grosses.

Its legs aren't imploding because of Jack Frost  :lol: $425-450 million minimum. 

From a $75 million weekend off a $22 million Friday

$54 million 3rd weekend ($292 million)

$43 million 4th weekend ($357 million)

$41.5 million/$54 million 4 day - 5th weekend ($431 million)

$32 million - 6th weekend ($474 million)

$25 million - 7th weekend ($511 million)

$18 million - 8th weekend ($540 million)

$13.5 million - 9th weekend ($562 million)

$12 million - 10th weekend ($582 million)

$10.5 million - 11th weekend ($599 million)

$7.5 million - 12th weekend ($611 million)

$6.5 million - 13th weekend ($621 million)

$5 million - 14th weekend ($628 million)

$4 million - 15th weekend ($634 million)

$2.5 million - 16th weekend ($638 million) 

$2 million - 17th weekend ($641 million)

$647 million DOM total

I'm going Forrest Gump just like baumer lol.

• Like 2

Isn't this the 1st year they have put it on the week before The Super Bowl? I might be wrong about that, but I think this is the 1st time it has been in January. It's still a gigantic weekend if it gets around 55 million. But some people are going nuts with talk of over 350 domestic. That won't be happening.

If that $21m number holds, how in the world is it only getting $55m this weekend?

• Like 1

How does it miss 350 million?  Big drop on Super Bowl Sunday.  Arctic air is also moving over the Midwest 7 days from now (next Saturday and Sunday) with highs around 10 degrees.  Highly populated areas of the country will be hit with snow over the next month.  I am referring to places like the East Coast cities, Chicago, Detroit, state of Ohio.  It is still a massive hit.  Just keep your expectations in the 300-350 area.

Dafuq? Even the biggest snowstorm seen in a decade which happened last year didn't dampen moviegoing by any huge amount. The biggest weather related box office drop I remember was when Rio 2 released last year, and no movie had an appreciable Saturday bump due to the weather being really good on Saturday following months and months of cold weather, even that is debatable whether it had an effect, but no Saturday bumps on any movie lends credence to that theory a bit.

If that $21m number holds, how in the world is it only getting $55m this weekend?

Because Ando thinks for the first time in 5 years that the Pro Bowl will take away an entire movie's audience

• Like 2

It may not hit the 21M number. Let's face it, Rth gave us the numbers at 1:30pm Pacific. There is a chance it may fall from that projection as well and "only" hit 18-19M for Friday, which would bring the weekend estimate down to 55-60M. Then again, it could perform better than expected and hit 22-24M as well, we will know in around 5-6 hours' time  :P

• Like 1

Because Ando thinks for the first time in 5 years that the Pro Bowl will take away an entire movie's audience

And maybe 20 million people will turn into the NHL All Star Game too.  

• Like 1

Like I said earlier, although the Pro Bowl pulled a strong 3.8/10 in the 18-49 rating last year, it did not have a significant impact. If AS can survive the AFC Championship, why can't it survive the Pro Bowl?

• Like 1

And maybe 20 million people will turn into the NHL All Star Game too.  

and I will be one of them, but wait, that doesn't stop me from seeing the movie before the game :P

• Like 1

It may not hit the 21M number. Let's face it, Rth gave us the numbers at 1:30pm Pacific. There is a chance it may fall from that projection as well and "only" hit 18-19M for Friday, which would bring the weekend estimate down to 55-60M. Then again, it could perform better than expected and hit 22-24M as well, we will know in around 5-6 hours' time  :P

Even if it pulls an $18M Friday, its still on track for a $64M 2nd weekend (using Lone Survivor's multiplier from last year). It only needs $16.7M to get to $60M this weekend.

• Like 1

American Sniper does not deserve all the money its getting, it was not that good a film

I thought AS was good, not the best war movie and it stops short of going into a PTSD examination as well. But this is one of those times following box office that I want a movie to continue on a record breaking run because there are so few true breakout runs to track that it does not matter whether you liked the movie and/or agreed with its politics or not.

Like I said earlier, although the Pro Bowl pulled a strong 3.8/10 in the 18-49 rating last year, it did not have a significant impact. If AS can survive the AFC Championship, why can't it survive the Pro Bowl?

Ask Ando, it's his theory, not mine :P