LexJoker

Weekend Numbers Jan 23-25 pg 46(AS 64 mill, Mom's cookies 15)

Mortdicai has got to be the lowest point in Depp's career. The Box Office fail is bad enough,but the critical response has been devastating. I have seldom seen a performance by any actor get treated with the kind of scorn that the critics are giving Depp. Even critics who have been tolerant of his wierdo shtick have turned on him here.

Fact is, Depp's ability to draw as a lead actor  outside the Pirates Franchise is now in doubt. Audiences will flock to see him as Jack Sparrow, but, at least in the US  seem very reluctant to see him in anything else. Yes, Into The Woods is a hit, but he was just one of an ensemble cast for that one. 

• Like 3

These box office numbers for AS are clearly fakes paid for and put out by the Academy so people will be under the illusion there's a big hit nominated.

Can't wait to see if someone thinks I'm being serious.

The Academy and the Government working together! They hired a bunch of actors to go to different screenings in the South/Midwest and make it look popular! The truth is out there! :lol:

• Like 3

Kingsman may also have a decent run if it can clear 25m OW. Critical reception is amazing, so it might be a WOM movie. All of 2015's big successes might be R's until Furious 7 opens.

Kingsman is more of a fanboy movie though for 18-25 yr old males. Older adults and women won't turn out for it the way they have with Sniper. And by then, Sniper's legs will be essentially locked in for the next 3-4 weeks. 

I see a $35 million 4 day and $100 million DOM total, but Kingsman won't be huge enough to directly hurt Sniper IMO.

I would love if 2015's top 5 hits until Furious 7 were R, but Cinderella is very likely going to be 2nd or 3rd (50 Shades could do $250-300 million, or $175-200 million. It's going to be close). SpongeBob 2 will likely surpass Kingsman and Wedding Ringer as well. 

• Like 1

Studios must be thinking right now - "How the **** can we possibly make a sequel to American Sniper?" $$$$$. Bit of a Titanic situation though, think they are going to struggle.

I'm sure The Asylum will announce "American Snipers" on DVD in time for the release of American Sniper on DVD.

Is this a lock for $400m now?

Edited by MonstersandRoy
  • Like 1

Studios must be thinking right now - "How the **** can we possibly make a sequel to American Sniper?" $$$$$. Bit of a Titanic situation though, think they are going to struggle.

Call of Duty movie starring Ed Helms

• Like 3

Wow, "Boy next door" is "Obsessed" all over again, we actually could have seen it coming.

Yeah, it is, even down the singer/actress star and in a sexy/campy "Fatal Attraction" wannabe thriller. I wonder who the "What the hell is he/she doing in this?" star is going to be for Boy Next Door, the one that shows up a half hour/hour into it, clearly for the paycheck.

• Like 3

Yeah, it is, even down the singer/actress star and in a sexy/campy "Fatal Attraction" wannabe thriller. I wonder who the "What the hell is he/she doing in this?" star is going to be for Boy Next Door, the one that shows up a half hour/hour into it, clearly for the paycheck.

Kristin Chenoweth? I saw her in the trailer, playing JLos' friend :lol:

Beyonce was ruling the music charts when Obsessed came out though while JLo hasn't had a hit in years (well that Booty song she had with Iggy Azalea debuted high thanks to the music video but it was short lived) so this movie is a way to resuscitate JLo's "brand"  so to speak

• Like 1

At the barbershop and dude walked in trying to sell Selma bootlegs. There was a mutual agreement though that its a movie you have to see in theaters. They still bought the bootlegs tho.

Awk im sitting here and have seen AS but not Selma. I feel like a shame to my race. Not really.

Why would anyone buy a bootleg in the age of the internet where you can easily get it for free?

• Like 1

Warner Bros tempering expectations

Some early estimates pegged the second “Sniper” weekend at close to $60 million, which would leave the U.S. cume within hailing distance of $200 million.

Warner Bros. offered a more cautious estimate in the high 40s, noting the unpredictability of Saturday’s numbers.

With “Sniper” racking up six Oscar nominations and dominating public discussion, the R-rated “Mortdecai” wasn’t able to generate any traction. The caper comedy, which carries a price tag of around $70 million, was beset by mostly negative reviews and Depp’s diminishing star power.
Edited by grim22