Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend Numbers SB: 56, AS 24.1, JA 19 pg 54

So AS jumps 80% on Saturday.  Let's say it drops like LS did on the same Sunday, 45%.  That gives it 23 mill.  It also means this Sunday will be bigger than last Sunday.  It also means it drops 30%.  

Guru had it at 16 mill.  He must read this site and follow posters like Ando, who claimed it would drop another 50% this weekend.  Instead what he should be doing is looking at the dailies for Lone Survivor, as AS has followed them quite closely.

Good for SB, could care less about the stupid looking film but this is a great success story. The beginning of 2015 has started off with a bang.  It's going to be a cannon sized bang in a few more days.  Can't wait!

JA and SS, 300 million dollar budget between them and they won't make 25 mill between the two of them this weekend.  

• Like 4

i'm actually surprised at the reception for JA in america at box office, the movie was good and i enjoyed it better than interstellar !

maybe i'm not that picky with my space type movies , i bought into their explanation for their world , its not that farfetched , i mean in gotg you have a talking racoon and a tree and genetic modifications is rampant , so i just went with the flow here too , i know some people were mocking tatum look but i think it was reasonable giving gotg  reception to hope for something similar !

anyhoo mila kunis looked gorgeous in her different designs ! my viewing was packed...

• Like 1

i'm actually surprised at the reception for JA in america at box office, the movie was good and i enjoyed it better than interstellar !

maybe i'm not that picky with my space type movies , i bought into their explanation for their world , its not that farfetched , i mean in gotg you have a talking racoon and a tree and genetic modifications is rampant , so i just went with the flow here too , i know some people were mocking tatum look but i think it was reasonable giving gotg  reception to hope for something similar !

anyhoo mila kunis looked gorgeous in her different designs ! my viewing was packed...

The film might be good, but the marketing of it didn't appeal to many.  The quality of the film has little to do with its opening weekend.

• Like 1

So AS jumps 80% on Saturday. Let's say it drops like LS did on the same Sunday, 45%. That gives it 23 mill. It also means this Sunday will be bigger than last Sunday. It also means it drops 30%.

Guru had it at 16 mill. He must read this site and follow posters like Ando, who claimed it would drop another 50% this weekend. Instead what he should be doing is looking at the dailies for Lone Survivor, as AS has followed them quite closely.

Good for SB, could care less about the stupid looking film but this is a great success story. The beginning of 2015 has started off with a bang. It's going to be a cannon sized bang in a few more days. Can't wait!

JA and SS, 300 million dollar budget between them and they won't make 25 mill between the two of them this weekend.

I like to think it'll be a love gun style bang with a giant white wash.
  • Like 1

Sat so square root the number and multiply by the result

SB 24.4m,AS 11.5,JA 7.5,SS 3,PA 2.4,Pad 2.4

Thanks again for the numbers!!

Wow at SpongeBob! I think the post-Super Bowl weekend has now I officially become a date to release a major animated tentpole.

I really hate seeing movie flop, even if I don't like them, and I'm still trying to cope with JA and SS being massive failures, at least in North America.

Yay for Spongebob! Somehow it's a win for traditional animation although the marketing was centered on the live action part.

Spongebob's OW will be higher than the OW of all recent DWA movies

Feb 2016 already has the Untitled Pets Project from Universal so yeah Feb is now really a prime spot for animation

Agree, although it would be a better sched if they move it up one week earlier. WB has also planned their animation release for Feb 2017.

Happy Birthday, Rth! Your numbers are always the bright spot on my Sundays. 

• Like 1

I don't know what Tatum can do from now on to make himself a box office draw for dudes who go to the movies.  They tried to make him an action star in White House Down and it bombed.  Foxcatcher is generally doing poorly at the specialty box office considering its Oscar nominations.  It has only made about 12 million.  They tried to put him in Jupiter (another action movie) and it bombed.  So now he will go back to Magic Mike 2 to be eye candy for the ladies once again....therefore continuing the stereotype that he is a male version of Megan Fox.

So how do you feel about your statement last weekend that AS would fall 50% every weekend?  

how-do-you-like-them-apples.png?w=300

• Like 5

22 Jump Street's OW audience was actually 50% male and 50% female.  It's not really a male skewing comedy.  The fact that it had solid legs means more females were going to see it later on, since females usually wait to see movies after the first couple of weekends.  It is the dudes who generally rush out opening weekend.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3858

Quick, name five actors that are a draw in everything.  Go on, give it a shot.

• Like 3

Quick, name five actors that are a draw in everything.  Go on, give it a shot.

Robert Downey Jr as Iron Man, Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow and Chris Evans as Captain America.

These ones count, right?  :ph34r:  :P

• Like 2

SpongeBob is a pop culture icon now.  Those are FANTASTIC numbers.  They made a CGI Live Action movie and took the characters out of their element and it was still a huge success.   KIDS (And Adult Kids) Love SpongeBob.   Sniper also had a great hold.  Jupiter definitely isn't ascending at the box office.  

• Like 1

The live action Pokemon movie should not focus on what the anime did. 

I'm not even sure it should star Ash, but if it did, then the movie would or should be more adult as opposed to appealing to kids.

There are like 5, 6? generations of Pokemon now, the majority of the Pokemon included should be from the first couple generations with cameos from the others and thus also allowing the storyline to perhaps be something like, our hero is...okay going to jump the shark here...a 30 year old Ash who after winning the League against Gary, fell into addiction and gambling and lost all his money and now lives in the gutter of a future sci-fi world...well it can go anywhere from here really. 

Great for Spongebob. Isn't it funny that all the animation studios are getting hits from everywhere and poor Dreamworks who try to replicate fail again and again. It's sad in its irony.

What live action pokemon movie?
  • Like 1

Thanks again for the numbers!!

Wow at SpongeBob! I think the post-Super Bowl weekend has now I officially become a date to release a major animated tentpole.

I really hate seeing movie flop, even if I don't like them, and I'm still trying to cope with JA and SS being massive failures, at least in North America.

Well if it makes you feel better Kingsman just might get a $35-40 million 4 day

Seriously, next weekend could top MLK's gross lol. 

50 Shades: $118.5 million/$135 million 

SpongeBob 2: $42 million/$51 million ($122 million) 

Kingsman: $33 million/$39.5 million

American Sniper: $27 million/$32.5 million ($329 million) 

February 2016 looks even bigger. Pets should do at least $130 million. Deadpool should at least get Ghost Rider numbers. How to Be Single should get either He's Just Not That Into You numbers or Vow numbers. Hail, Casear could do Monuments Men numbers. Ben-Hur could do Noah or 300 - Rise of an Empire numbers. Next February will repeat 2009 and 2012 where everything in the month becomes a solid hit. 

Once January starts getting an annual tentpole, only September will truly still be a box-office doldrums. And even then, this September looks unusually strong. Every weekend has something that could get over $20 million OW. 

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 1

Well if it makes you feel better Kingsman just might get a $35-40 million 4 day

Seriously, next weekend could top MLK's gross lol. 

50 Shades: $118.5 million/$135 million 

SpongeBob 2: $42 million/$51 million ($122 million) 

Kingsman: $33 million/$39.5 million

American Sniper: $27 million/$32.5 million ($329 million) 

February 2016 looks even bigger. Pets should do at least $130 million. Deadpool should at least get Ghost Rider numbers. How to Be Single should get either He's Just Not That Into You numbers or Vow numbers. Hail, Casear could do Monuments Men numbers. Ben-Hur could do Noah or 300 - Rise of an Empire numbers. Next February will repeat 2009 and 2012 where everything in the month becomes a solid hit. 

Once January starts getting an annual tentpole, only September will truly still be a box-office doldrums. And even then, this September looks unusually strong. Every weekend has something that could get over $20 million OW. 

Everest and Scorch Trials on the same weekend will be a big battle, I see both getting 30M+ OW.

Don't forget the Fifty Shades sequel will probably come out next February.

• Like 1