kayumanggi

THE SUICIDE SQUAD | August 6 2021 | James Gunn writing and directing

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

And it really drags in parts, definitely would be better if it was shorter.

Wow I’m surprised to read this. I thought it flew by and it didn’t have any slow moments. It was full steam ahead. 

1 hour ago, TigerPaw said:

I am watching it on IMAX on Friday, do you have idea why the RT score is so high?

Without going to spoiler territory, is there anything you felt specifically must have clicked with critics?

Because it’s hilarious. 

17 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Out of the 104 critic reviews with a score, 70 of them are a 4/5 or above.

Wow!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The GOAT said:

That seem like a list of things to put on the poster of the movie !, one big issue of the first suicide squad was the complete absence of not even evil characters, but there were not even just bad people in the squad at all.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Wow I’m surprised to read this. I thought it flew by and it didn’t have any slow moments. It was full steam ahead. 

Because it’s hilarious. 

Wow!

I felt there were parts of the middle section and the last act which were boring and did nothing at all for me. 😕

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

That seem like a list of things to put on the poster of the movie !, one big issue of the first suicide squad was the complete absence of not even evil characters, but just bad people in the squad at all.

Yeh she seemed to be quite offended by some of the stuff. Newsflash: the members of the Suicide squad aren’t all nice people! They’re criminals. 

7 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

It’s a testament to how absolutely brand damaging the first movie was that this might not even open to $30 million, despite the critical praise. 

Nah...  people want to look at any other reason than what's most logical.   Covid is once again dominating the news cycle here 24/7 and this movie is free on HBO Max.  

Someone like me wants to go see in imax but the regular joe and his family is watching this on HBO.  i'm almost certain of that. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Nah...  people want to look at any other reason than what's most logical.   Covid is once again dominating the news cycle here 24/7 and this movie is free on HBO Max.  

Someone like me wants to go see in imax but the regular joe and his family is watching this on HBO.  i'm almost certain of that. 

We'll see HBO Max numbers for TSS...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, exomassey said:

Hopefully the film creates good Will needed for the DC brand and WOM will be strong.

Since the 1st Justice League directed by Whedon,  DC has put out Aquaman, Shazam, Joker,  WW84,  ZSJL and now TSS.  

Only WW84 had mixed reviews.   What do you mean by "creates good will"?  

1 minute ago, Johnny Tran said:

JC just opened to almost 35m, I don’t see how we can bring covid into the conversation tbh.  Hbomax dual release is definitely an issue though but I agree with @WittyUsername, the first movie is what’s hurting this most. 

I think marketing was fine, I can respect people who think the trailers weren’t good but I thought they were fine but it’s pretty obvious that people don’t want to pay to see this and I can only attribute that to the two things I mentioned above. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, cax16 said:

JC just opened to almost 35m, I don’t see how we can bring covid into the conversation tbh.  

how can that be a direct comparison?  You have to already have Disney+ and then pay $29.99 after.  So the total is $36 and change. You might as well just go to the theater on a better screen and setup and make a day of it.  

HBO Max even if you didn't have HBO the most you can spend is $14.99.   Less than half the price of JC.   You can't beat "free" 

3 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Since the 1st Justice League directed by Whedon,  DC has put out Aquaman, Shazam, Joker,  WW84,  ZSJL and now TSS.  

Only WW84 had mixed reviews.   What do you mean by "creates good will"? 

Calm down.

I just think the DC brand could do even better than it already is. 

Apart from Aquaman and Joker, I don’t think anything else you listed ( you forget Birds of Prey), really clicked with audiences even though they have gotten strong critical reception.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Obviously these factors are part of it but delta concerns couldn’t justify opening, say, 30% below JC just last week. And Max couldn’t justify opening around the level of MK or C3 or whatever, and behind stuff like SJ2.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

how can that be a direct comparison?  You have to already have Disney+ and then pay $29.99 after.  So the total is $36 and change. You might as well just go to the theater on a better screen and setup and make a day of it.  

HBO Max even if you didn't have HBO the most you can spend is $14.99.   Less than half the price of JC.   You can't beat "free" 

I agree with you about the hbo factor but my point is that there’s still avenues for this to make more at the box office cause other movies have in the last few weeks.

I just don’t think this is a big covid issue, I’m sure it’s playing a small factor with some people but not large enough that it would hurt the box office. 

I’m very curious to see the hbomax numbers for this next week when Samba reports. 

9 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I think marketing was fine, I can respect people who think the trailers weren’t good but I thought they were fine but it’s pretty obvious that people don’t want to pay to see this and I can only attribute that to the two things I mentioned above. 

Yeah I’ve never followed that “bad trailers” argument, they were all pretty well received from what I could see, and I know Twitter can be it’s own little universe at times, but the first trailer in particular seemed to go down very well on there. If the trailers were as bad as some people are making out, it wouldn’t have been praised like it was.

• Like 1

I can’t lie, I’m pretty disappointed with the presales but I’ve been expecting this the last few months and the tracking thread has really kept expectations in check.

So for me I’m going into the weekend expecting a 20m opening weekend and 50m WW. I’m just excited to see the movie and hope it can help salvage The Suicide Squad brand if that’s possible.

All I’ve ever wanted is good movies that most people enjoy and this seems like it can be that. Now I just hope for more consistency going forward and more audience trust so the brand can grow. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I can’t lie, I’m pretty disappointed with the presales but I’ve been expecting this the last few months and the tracking thread has really kept expectations in check.

So for me I’m going into the weekend expecting a 20m opening weekend and 50m WW. I’m just excited to see the movie and hope it can help salvage The Suicide Squad brand if that’s possible.

All I’ve ever wanted is good movies that most people enjoy and this seems like it can be that. Now I just hope for more consistency going forward and more audience trust so the brand can grow. 

Exactly. 

Also even if it opens below expectations, it might have Greatest Showman legs lol. We don’t know yet so don’t worry.

The only thing on my mind might be how Gunn reacts to a soft opening weekend as he is pushing for people to buy tickets. He will probably think HBO Max screwed him over.