kayumanggi

THE SUICIDE SQUAD | August 6 2021 | James Gunn writing and directing

56 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The fact of the matter is, sometimes people just don't care. No matter how much time and effort you put into a project, if the public isn't interested even after all your efforts, it's best to just take the L and move on. It happened with In the Heights, and it's likely happening here too.

Had we gotten this back in 2016, maybe things would be different. It would have been just half a year after Deadpool too.

No one asked for a new Suicide Squad movie..

WB messed up the 2016 one by literally asking a trailer company to edit it and make it "fun"..

Despite 26% RT score, Fans embraced it and propelled to over 750 million.. 

Now WB has 96% RT score for a movie filled with dick/cum/juvenile jokes and extreme unnecessary gore which will turn off most of the audiences.. 

The fanbase is completely divided.. DC mainly has a mature audience which likes a bit more serious tone movies like Nolan trilogy/MoS/BvS/ Joker/WW/ZSJL  .. (Aquaman mainly an exception but even then it had Jason Momoa who has this brooding presence)

With TSS, you are  not appealing to marvel fans (who like soft family friendly comedy).. you are not appealing to most DC fans...

Only appealing to critics who get to watch it for free.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • ...wtf 3
  • Disbelief 1

15 minutes ago, Sanjay83 said:

That’s nonsense. 

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The fact of the matter is, sometimes people just don't care. No matter how much time and effort you put into a project, if the public isn't interested even after all your efforts, it's best to just take the L and move on. It happened with In the Heights, and it's likely happening here too.

Audiences not showing up for two of the best reviewed wide releases of the summer, a shame. 

13 minutes ago, Sanjay83 said:

WB messed up the 2016 one by literally asking a trailer company to edit it and make it "fun"..

Now WB has 96% RT score for a movie filled with dick/cum/juvenile jokes and extreme unnecessary gore which will turn off most of the audiences.. 

The fanbase is completely divided.. DC mainly has a mature audience which likes a bit more serious tone movies like Nolan trilogy/MoS/BvS/ Joker/WW/ZSJL  .. (Aquaman mainly an exception but even then it had Jason Momoa who has this brooding presence)

With TSS, you are  not appealing to marvel fans (who like soft family friendly comedy).. you are not appealing to most DC fans...

You lost me here. With Deadpool's success it's clear people do like juvinielle humour and gore. After all there has been a serious lack of adult themed comedies since Hollywood pretended to go woke. We went from films like The Hangover and Ted dominating the box office to literally no comedies being released

Also DC fans and narvel fans are THE SAME PEOPLE. You're either a comic book fan or you're not. TSS's failure will come down to a terrible predecessor, and a pandemic, not gore and humour, Jesus 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chicago said:

You lost me here. With Deadpool's success it's clear people do like juvinielle humour and gore. After all there has been a serious lack of adult themed comedies since Hollywood pretended to go woke. We went from films like The Hangover and Ted dominating the box office to literally no comedies being released

Also DC fans and narvel fans are THE SAME PEOPLE. You're either a comic book fan or you're not. TSS's failure will come down to a terrible predecessor, and a pandemic, not gore and humour, Jesus 

DC fans and marvel fans are not the same people..!!! if you cannot discern your audience then you are doomed to fail..

All recent well reviewed DC movies have been major failures : BoP/Shazam and now TSS because DC audience is very different from Marvel ones...

WB doesnt seem to get it.. and is doomed to keep failing..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

58 minutes ago, Sanjay83 said:

Hi Grace!

Also, it’s not “filled” with anything of the sort, trust me, I’ve actually seen it.

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Was thinking about why I didn't laugh much at the jokes even though I think they are well done... And it occurred to me that may just be because of the audience. I saw it on a huge screen in the evening but There were only 3 people in the cinema. Laughter really requires other people to work. I think if you saw this with a busy audience then there would be laughs left right and centre. 

28 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Was thinking about why I didn't laugh much at the jokes even though I think they are well done... And it occurred to me that may just be because of the audience. I saw it on a huge screen in the evening but There were only 3 people in the cinema. Laughter really requires other people to work. I think if you saw this with a busy audience then there would be laughs left right and centre. 

Yeh I saw it with a sold out crowd (first of the pandemic era) and it was full of laughs. But other people don’t make me laugh or not laugh. If you find something funny, you laugh regardless. 

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh I saw it with a sold out crowd (first of the pandemic era) and it was full of laughs. But other people don’t make me laugh or not laugh. If you find something funny, you laugh regardless. 

It helps with comedies though, sometimes more than any other genre. The busiest I've ever seen a screen (not cinema) was 22 jump Street, people were sitting on the floor. The moment Tatum discovered Jonah hill had slept with the cap's daughter was epic in cinemas, literal uproar of laughter and added to the experience 

1 hour ago, Sanjay83 said:

I mean, maybe Joker and TDKT were intended for "mature" audiences but WW/MOS/BvS/ZSJL? Those were superhero movies for everyone.

A 9 year old can enjoy those films just as much as a 35 year old.

And you can't claim DCEU is for mature adults while ignoring Aquaman/Shazam/JL/WW84.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Sanjay83 said:

DC fans and marvel fans are not the same people..!!! if you cannot discern your audience then you are doomed to fail..

All recent well reviewed DC movies have been major failures : BoP/Shazam and now TSS because DC audience is very different from Marvel ones...

WB doesnt seem to get it.. and is doomed to keep failing..

The average movie goer couldn't tell you which characters are DC or Marvel. They are the same people, spare a very limited few with hardcore fandom. People can love both TDK trilogy and the MCU.

You conveniently left out Aquaman, DC's most Marvel like movie which made over 1b delivered DC their highest grossing movie of all time.

I do however think DC should focus on the grittier side more for contrast but they are harder to pull off.

People always forget Joker grossed $1bn+ in 2019 (without China). Joker is a bigger hit than any Logan or Deadpool, or most other Superhero films with China deducted tbh. The films don’t have to be related or “in a universe”. It’s DC and WB. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

People always forget Joker grossed $1bn+ in 2019 (without China). Joker is a bigger hit than any Logan or Deadpool, or most other Superhero films with China deducted tbh. The films don’t have to be related or “in a universe”. It’s DC and WB. 

I think the strong point of an interconnected universe is that it pushes people to see movies with characters that they aren't necessarily interested in watching because they feel that it might influence characters that they are interested in. The Joker obviously has a massive fanbase, so he doesn't need help, but if people thought TSS plot might influence the Joker, and might be necessary to fully understand what happens in Joker 2, then maybe more people would be giving it a chance.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Chicago said:

The average movie goer couldn't tell you which characters are DC or Marvel

I don't think that's as true as you think it is. People have been watching Justice League cartoons and the like since they were children, and Marvel is the biggest franchise in the world. People would sure as hell notice if Superman showed up in the Avengers, or Thor in Justice League.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I prefer them being unconnected if anything, it allows them to play with different tones. As much as I love the MCU, it has to be said that they are mostly tonally similar, and they have to be because it’s the same universe. Whereas the forthcoming dark and gritty The Batman sounds like it’s worlds apart from the bright and colourful The Suicide Squad, ditto for Joker. The Batman or Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker existing in the same shared universe as a film where a group of supervillains battle a giant starfish would just not work. It’s why I’m really glad that they didn’t try to awkwardly shoehorn Man of Steel into the Nolan trilogy “universe”.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

I think the strong point of an interconnected universe is that it pushes people to see movies with characters that they aren't necessarily interested in watching because they feel that it might influence characters that they are interested in. 

Yeah Shang Chi will flop like Snake Eyes if it were not for being part of MCU, and Marvel knows it and showed Abomination and Wong in the trailers; even the special previews spoke about the connection to Ironman via the Ten Rings organization. Shang Chi on a standalone basis will honestly flop.

12 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

I think the strong point of an interconnected universe is that it pushes people to see movies with characters that they aren't necessarily interested in watching because they feel that it might influence characters that they are interested in. The Joker obviously has a massive fanbase, so he doesn't need help, but if people thought TSS plot might influence the Joker, and might be necessary to fully understand what happens in Joker 2, then maybe more people would be giving it a chance.

Yeh, without getting in to a fanboy wars thread, I’m all for films that stand alone.

I’m over shared universes. It’s becoming “required reading” at this point. 

TSS works as a stand alone thankfully. 

Americans (who are interested in this film) are you going to the cinema tonight or watching at home? 

Edited by Krissykins

When executed properly the shared universe concept fills seats and provides a unique movie going experience (Endgame).

But it's not easy to pull off. But in theory a Justice League franchise could have the same success as the MCU.

And outside of Batman and the Joker most of the DC Universe is begging for a shared universe.

Yeah Flash, WW, Aquaman and Superman solo movies are great but ultimately people want to see them interact. 

But it comes down to execution. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

You’ll know when you see it.

Suicide Squad members have a bomb in their head that can be blown up at any time. It’s hard to avoid an R.

If that’s the set up, you want to see heads blown up lol. 

They still blew a head up in the first one and that was PG-13. So, going in, I expect at least one or two people's heads to turn into confetti while others die in battle.

Still looking forward to it. It's more a minor surprise it's R than anything else.

4 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

This would be a completely different film without the R rating. It’s not a relatively soft R rating like BoP, it earns it and I’d say it needs it. Also, let’s not start saying R rated films can’t be successful when Deadpool, Logan and Joker categorically prove otherwise. Not to mention that one of the biggest complaints about the first SS movie was that it was a PG13. The R rating isn’t holding this back.

Oh I'm not saying an R-rated comic book movie can't be successful, The R-rating is not the issue with the film.

It's the world circumstances. I'm still seeing it.

• Like 1