kayumanggi

JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM | 22 JUN 2018 | Universal | J.A. Bayona to direct | The Park is Closed | NOT THE FRANCHISE WARS THREAD

I actually didn't mind the lack of T-Rex in JP3 - it showed the movie wasn't in thrall to fan service. And the new stuff we got, eg. the 'birdcage', was often quite good. I would happily never see raptors again in this franchise.

Edited by Hatebox

7 hours ago, Brainbug said:

The second half i loved even more.

I didn't know there are so many fans of Asylum and Uwe Boll movies.

7 hours ago, Brainbug said:

The movie looks phenomenal, the cinematography and the use of light and shadows is amazing.

And those amazing creature effects on the level of 8 year old video-game!

Edited by Firepower

38 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I didn't know there are so many fans of Asylum and Uwe Boll movies.

And those amazing creature effects on the level of 8 year old video-game!

Nevermind him, his whole “review” is “the script is awful, the story is dumb, the actors mediocre but hey Dinos” . The movie is getting torn apart everywhere on the internet and that will definately not help it in the U.S , maybe universal should have had a worldwide opening.

Its a terrible movie by most objective measures, but sometimes those movies are entertaining and somehow none of the bad things matter. This is one of those.

Its not a rare thing among big blockbuster movies, but some do it better than others, some do it by accident, some try and fail, and some dont intend to be bad, but accidentally are. This seems like a deliberate attempt that works.

29 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Nevermind him, his whole “review” is “the script is awful, the story is dumb, the actors mediocre but hey Dinos” . The movie is getting torn apart everywhere on the internet and that will definately not help it in the U.S , maybe universal should have had a worldwide opening.

Well, I just hope they'll drop Trevorrow off the ship before it's too late (actually I think it's too late). Let's see how much it's gonna drop from the first JW.

15 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Its a terrible movie by most objective measures, but sometimes those movies are entertaining and somehow none of the bad things matter. This is one of those.

Its not a rare thing among big blockbuster movies, but some do it better than others, some do it by accident, some try and fail, and some dont intend to be bad, but accidentally are. This seems like a deliberate attempt that works.

That's basically Resident Evil franchise, but Jurasic Park never was guilty pleasure bad movie, it was genuinely great movie, one of the best movies ever. Sequels weren't perfect, but they didn't cross that line either. JW:FK, especially its second half, just screams C/D-movie, not even B-movie, that's just embarrassing. People in charge of this frachise completely forgot what Jurassic Park is and why it was great.

Edited by Firepower

6 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Well, I just hope they'll drop Trevorrow off the ship before it's too late (actually I think it's too late). Let's see how much it's gonna drop from the first JW.

That's basically Resident Evil franchise, but Jurasic Park never was guilty pleasure bad movie, it was genuinely great movie, one of the best movies ever. Sequels weren't perfect, but they didn't cross that line either. JW:FK, especially its second half, just screams C-D movie, not even B-movie, that's just embarrassing. People in charge of this frachise completely forgot what Jurassic Park is and why it was great.

True, but you cant blame them when most massive movies (WW anyway) are just as bad if not worse. F&F, Transformers, even TFA all either terrible, excessively fan-service driven, or just plain dumb, and yet the return is $$$$$$$$$$$.

24 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

True, but you cant blame them when most massive movies (WW anyway) are just as bad if not worse. F&F, Transformers, even TFA all either terrible, excessively fan-service driven, or just plain dumb, and yet the return is $$$$$$$$$$$.

Yeap, but if JW movies will be getting worse and worse, then they'll probably face its first big underperfomance/maybe even flop very soon, just like Transformers and SW. I think F&F is the only franchise where they keep making terrible movies, but people still show up and BO grosses don't drop much, even increase, no matter of quality. That's basically a miracle, people watch every F&F movie just because of kind of tradition. Every other franchise depends on quality of its movies, F&F doesn't.

Edited by Firepower

Only Star Wars seems genuinely quality driven (or dependant), mainly because its a western phenomenon. Anything big in Asia and China specifically can be as abortionally awful as possible, it will still make bank.

The JP franchise isnt quite in the fully safe zone, so cant afford to be absolute garbage. I dont think this is that bad yet, it still has loveability.

Edited by GirafficPark
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

27 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Only Star Wars seems genuinely quality driven, mainly because its a western phenomenon. Anything big in Asia and China specifically can be as abortionally awful as possible, it will still make bank.

The JP franchise isnt quite in the fully safe zone, so cant afford to be absolute garbage. I dont think this is that bad yet, it still has loveability.

lol

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Only Star Wars seems genuinely quality driven, mainly because its a western phenomenon. Anything big in Asia and China specifically can be as abortionally awful as possible, it will still make bank.

DM3, C grade film imo beat a far superior Coco Dom, not in China.

Coco v DM3 China  $190 v $160

Coco v DM3 Dom : $210 v $265

RPO, one of the more creative and well made films this year, did best in China ($222) and under-performed dom ($136).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

China's Top 10 in 2017 had a more diverse range of films than North America's Top 10. You could argue that Star Wars isn't focused on quality but rather nostalgia which is why it's done so well in traditional markets but has failed in other regions where there is no affinity for the Original Trilogy. 

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, A2k Rex said:

JW1 had a line "they are dinosaurs, wow enough". As long as they make cool dinos that star other flaws will be tolerated. Creature feature films are in short supply.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, A2k Rex said:

DM3, C grade film imo beat a far superior Coco Dom, not in China.

Coco v DM3 China  $190 v $160

Coco v DM3 Dom : $210 v $265

RPO, one of the more creative and well made films this year, did best in China ($222) and under-performed dom ($136).

Yeah, and F&F and Transformers did what now?  Warcraft, Great wall etc? Sure china might like some good movies, but holy hell they love the garbage.

RPO did well because its what they want, it just happens not to be a bad movie. Sure it proves that appealing to china doesnt have to mean making crap, but making crap is a lot easier and still makes the money.

Edited by GirafficPark

3 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

China's Top 10 in 2017 had a more diverse range of films than North America's Top 10. You could argue that Star Wars isn't focused on quality but rather nostalgia which is why it's done so well in traditional markets but has failed in other regions where there is no affinity for the Original Trilogy. 

Star wars is quality dependant (which might be a better word than driven). Other franchises can be as bad as they like, china will bail them out, Star Wars doesn't have that luxury.

Star Wars is too old for china to care. Nostalgia or not they dont care about a movies that are 7+ down the line, and they aren't interested in the older movies because they arent what they want.