kayumanggi

JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM | 22 JUN 2018 | Universal | J.A. Bayona to direct | The Park is Closed | NOT THE FRANCHISE WARS THREAD

17 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Love your enthusiasm for it. Really do. 

If I could only let go of the Spielberg films I’d be ok with much of the idiocy on display in this movie.

Pretty overwhelming display of idiocy on display in Lost World. That said, Spielberg plays most of the big action/suspense beats so well that I didn't mind all that much.

19 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Love your enthusiasm for it. Really do. 

If I could only let go of the Spielberg films I’d be ok with much of the idiocy on display in this movie. But the fact is that what’s bad in it just shouldn’t be bad. I can’t understand why the writing is so sub-standard when everyone else on the production brings their A-game. It’s unforgivable really. 

25 years ago JP changed everything. Not just visual effects, but the quality of the film. It’s literally the definition of a great summer blockbuster. It’s shadow this film can’t shake for me.  

I cant say I didn’t kind of enjoy it though. What’s good in it is well worth the ticket price. It just should be so much better. 

I think those hating on it feel it’s a kind of insult to Jurassic Park - which I sort of get as I felt that same pain in the execution of a lot of this. Taken on its own though it’s a fun ride - no question. 

Im totally biased. Dinosaurs were my childhood and Jurassic Park and The Lost World were the most important movies for me for years (JP is still, TLW i now really like, but cant love anymore). It was always my biggest dream to see a completed Jurassic Park on the big screen, thats why i love JW so much. And Fallen Kingdom might be as dumb as JW (mabye even dumber), but i just dont care at all. This franchise makes me completely unable to think objectively about it. I just adore them (except JP3, that can go burn in hell).

• Like 5

Hugely helps that, for good reason, Jurassic Park is the only cinematic dino brand that anyone trusts. And, as of now, the only monster/creature brand that plays to this kind of enormous audience. Now, if played correctly, I could see Kong v. Godzilla being something close to $1B+ earner. But, as of now, JP is really it. Nothing comes close at the box office or in brand recognition.

But, again, glad to see Godzilla did $200M+ and Kong did $170M. Very interested to see how the next Godzilla does next summer. I think Dougherty is by far the best director choice yet of any of the new Godzillas. Hell, I'd have loved to see him on a JP movie as well. Love his imagination and has done impressively with creature design and pleasing a crowd with Trick of Treat and Krampus. Seems to understand and thrive as genre filmmaker.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Hugely helps that, for good reason, Jurassic Park is the only cinematic dino brand that anyone trusts. And, as of now, the only monster/creature brand that plays to this kind of enormous audience. Now, if played correctly, I could see Kong v. Godzilla being something close to $1B+ earner. But, as of now, JP is really it. Nothing comes close at the box office or in brand recognition.

But, again, glad to see Godzilla did $200M+ and Kong did $170M. Very interested to see how the next Godzilla does next summer. I think Dougherty is by far the best director choice yet of any of the new Godzillas. Hell, I'd have loved to see him on a JP movie as well. Love his imagination and has done impressively with creature design and pleasing a crowd with Trick of Treat and Krampus. Seems to understand and thrive as genre filmmaker.

Everything about this post is great.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

You're absolutely correct in that Jurassic Park really is the ONLY cinematic dinosaur brand which is a big help and gives it freedom to do new things and expand beyond just a theme park.

I personally think the Godzilla franchise can be a big earner as well. Long ago the Godzilla 1998 film was tracking for a MASSIVE opening before people realized how bad it was. So the audience is certainly there. Godzilla can fit in both the dinosaur and giant monster genre. I do believe both Godzilla 2 and 3 can be big $$$ earners especially overseas all they need to do is just up the monster action as that seemed to be the only main issue with Godzilla 2014.

Quite frankly as much as i love dinosaurs and kaiju I am happy there are only just a very few dinosaur and kaiju cinematic franchises rather than an overload of franchises if that makes sense. It's easier on my wallet anyways LOL

• Like 1

Finally, Universal launched the Jurassic World sequel Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom in 48 overseas markets this weekend, two weeks ahead of the film's domestic debut, where it grossed an estimated $151.1 million. The film topped the charts in all 48 markets and included the studio's largest openings all-time in Hong Kong ($4.3m) and South Korea ($27.2m). Additional openings included $19.9 million in the UK & Ireland as well as France ($10m), Spain ($9.5m), Germany ($9.1m), Taiwan ($8.4m), Russia ($8m), India ($7.9m), Indonesia ($5.2m), Thailand ($4.7m), Italy ($4.5m), Malaysia ($4.1m), Philippines ($4m), Singapore ($2.9m) and Netherlands ($2.6m). The film will hit theaters in North America on June 22 and will continue to roll-out in in 21 more overseas territories over the next month, including China on June 15, Australia and Brazil on June 21, Mexico on June 22 and Japan on July 13.

• Like 1

So, I watched it. And moreover I watched it in a cinema (I watched JuWo at home back then). :o)

As with many blockbusters, my opinion on this movie is in conflict with itself. I don't like the mixture of seriousness on one hand and silliness on the other very much. Some of the "dramatic" scenes are simply thwarted by the comic relief ones which is putting me off. Also, in my opinion this is just a kinda rip-off of JuPa 2 (like JuWo was a kinda rip-off of JuPa or episode 7 of episode 4) - and I find that lazy in terms of screenwriting sessions. And once again this movie is simply hollywood blockbuster painting by numbers. Tick. Tick. Tick. "You forgot a box there Colin!""Woah, thank you Derek, I nearly would have miss that!" Tick.

But on the other hand, I found myself very entertained. The CGI and action is top-notch, the pacing is great and the before mentioned "dramatic" scenes are working very well when not interrupted by comic relief. It felt like there is something at stake here (and no, I don't mean the mental health of the viewer). Also, as a bonus: the child (Tick.) wasn't obnoxious for a change. But then again the stereotype computer nerd (Tick.) effin' was. And last but not least: there are some great comeuppance scenes included and a nice twist that came out of nowhere for a change (though adding not much to the plot besides concerning the end of the movie). All-in-all, the last 45 minutes or so were a great tour de force (including one scene that was sheer nightmare inducing terror). Did I mention the nice nod to an iconic Kubrick scene?

Ah, eff it, I like this movie.

So the target audience will get what they're expecting (and then some) and the "haters" will get something to ramble about (which they'll do anyways). As for me, I'll definately watch it again on home video or streaming. And buy the BD when the price has lowered.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Greater Sacramento Area Seat Report: T-11 Days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

15.88%

Total Seats Sold Today:      76

.2040x as many tickets sold as Infinity War 11 days before release. (IW had 19 more days of pre-sales)

.5209x as many tickets sold as Black Panther 11 days before release (BP had 16 more days of pre-sales) 

.5719x as many tickets sold as Deadpool 2  11 days before release (DP2 had one plus more days of pre-sales) 

.4718x as many tickets sold as Solo 11 days before release pre-sales (Solo had 20 days of pre-sales compared to JW:FK's 22 days of presales)

• Like 2

Yes if a new franchise came out today with dinosaurs as a major part it will be constantly compared to Jurassic Park. So the franchise has one hook that will very likely never go away even if it's appeal diminishes somewhat over time if Universals keeps regularly making Jurassic World films. 

I do wish they put someone other than Colin Trevorrow in charge of the direction of the franchise though.

4 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

We'll see. I think this will struggle to make 350 M. Or maybe even 300 M. I just find it uneventful.

If the OW DOM is anywhere near $150M+, I can't imagine a movie having just over 2.0 multiplier with summer days and the 4th of July soon after it's release to boost sales as well.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

If the OW DOM is anywhere near $150M+, I can't imagine a movie having just over 2.0 multiplier with summer days and the 4th of July soon after it's release to boost sales as well.

True.

I really don’t see this being frontloaded as say....a Twilight sequel or BvS cause it’s not those films. JW:FK has so far better critical reception than those.

So i don’t really think what kayumanggi is saying will be true.....just basing alone on his thoughts because he was disappointed in it. No offence but it just doesn’t work like that.

However, it needs to be above 59% to not land in the ”rotten”-territory or far below. Only TLW & JP3 are considered two of the lowest in the JP-franchise.

I mean...TF2 is critically panned and some of the most hated blockbusters in the past decade...but that one did fine with a strong $402M DOM.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

8 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

True.

I really don’t see this being frontloaded as say....a Twilight sequel or BvS cause it’s not those films. JW:FK has so far better critical reception than those.

So i don’t really think what kayumanggi is saying will be true.....just basing alone on his thoughts because he was disappointed in it. No offence but it just doesn’t work like that.

However, it needs to be above 59% to not land in the ”rotten”-territory or far below. Only TLW & JP3 are considered two of the lowest in the JP-franchise.

People dont really care whether films are rotten or not, the GA especially doesnt. Whether or not the film will have a bad, mediocre, good or huge OW entirely depends on the demand for this film among the GA. Whether or not it will have bad or good legs also depends on that.

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

People dont really care whether films are rotten or not, the GA especially doesnt. Whether or not the film will have a bad, mediocre, good or huge OW entirely depends on the demand for this film among the GA. Whether or not it will have bad or good legs also depends on that.

Very true. That’s probably why the POTC: DMC was a breakout-film with $423M back in 2006....despite mixed reception from critics. And Transformers 2 got to $402M even with that 19% on RT. Classic example of critic-proof blockbusters.

37 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Very true. That’s probably why the POTC: DMC was a breakout-film with $423M back in 2006....despite mixed reception from critics. And Transformers 2 got to $402M even with that 19% on RT. Classic example of critic-proof blockbusters.

They were critic-proof until GA started vomiting after watching them. If you feed your audience piece of shit after piece of shit, they'll stop watching them, sooner or later. That's what happened with Transformers, Pirates, Star Wars, DCEU and many other franchises. Average Joe is patient, but even his patience has its limits. JW:FK was a colossal piece of shit, so I won't be surprised if JW3 will drop like a rock from it and let's see how this one will drop from the first JW.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1