kayumanggi

JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM | 22 JUN 2018 | Universal | J.A. Bayona to direct | The Park is Closed | NOT THE FRANCHISE WARS THREAD

3 hours ago, BK007 said:

Didn't stop MCU from doing great. 

You can't judge JW: FK and the rest of those franchises on one scale and the beloved MCU & whatever on another. This film does absolutely nothing wrong that other popular franchises did not already do. 

Transformers & Pirates just went too far. Technically their 3rd outings were respectable if disappointing box office wise. 

Nothing is wrong with Star Wars really. It's just that no one wanted a stupid cash grab Solo and many of the other idiotic ideas being cooked up at Disney with regards to spin-offs. 

Can't speak for DC since I missed too many of their movies but as "shit" as posters on here want to claim the TF, POTC etc. franchises are, they were enjoyed by the GA much more than perhaps any of the DCU bar WW. 

Anyway, not the franchise wars thread, but spare me the hypocrisy. 

Not really sure why Star Wars is in here. Definitely need more of sample than Solo not breaking out. But, yeah, it applies to Transformer and Pirates. We won't really know how audiences truly responded to JWFK for a little while yet. Will be interesting to see how the next installment performs as I'm sure there's another planned. 

Anyone know if a director's been attached to the next one yet?

11 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Not really sure why Star Wars is in here. Definitely need more of sample than Solo not breaking out. But, yeah, it applies to Transformer and Pirates. We won't really know how audiences truly responded to JWFK for a little while yet. Will be interesting to see how the next installment performs as I'm sure there's another planned. 

Anyone know if a director's been attached to the next one yet?

Well Solo is a flat out bomb while Episode 9 woll

lilely go down quite a bit especially overseas. At least Pirates never had a bomb 

trevorrow is retrning tondirect wth him

and someone named Emily Carmichael writing. I’m fine with him directing but maybe they should bring David Koepp back to help write 

Edited by John Marston

5 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Metacritic:

JWFK - 52

DM3 - 49

C3 - 59

O8 - 61

Solo - 62

never good for any film to be close to dm3 in reception imo. found it to be utter trash. but then it did 1b+ ww and so will jwfk. 😄

3 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

A decent plot? Memorable characters that aren’t just stereotypes? 

Christ, even the lawyer in Jurassic Park had better characterisation than any of the cardboard cut outs in Fallen Kingdom...

The difference in quality between JP and FK is massive, FK is a mind numbing action film, JP is much more than that, and it deserves a sequel that doesn’t seem content to just do the bare minimum and appease modern audiences with nothing but “Oooooh dinosaurs!”.

Agree, even though I have even harsher words about FK. But you just can't compare FK to JP, it's the other league completely. Even JP3 is infinitely superior movie to FK.

I want to ask some questions to Trevorrow, Bayona and Universal execs: why do dinosaurs look like a pile of crap in both JW and JW:FK? Why decades old trilogy has much better visual effects than 2015-2018 movies with much bigger budget? Animatronics in JW:FK are on the level of Carnosaur movie series, they are so shitty, Stan Winston would have been ashamed if he had seen that shit. And creature VFX in JW:FK looks like a decade old video-game in some places. Indoraptor looks like he escaped from Asylum movie. That's just embarassing, it's unnacceptable for a movie with this budget. So does that mean both Trevorrow and Bayona are terrible directors? Or the real budget of both JW is much lower and Universal uses the franchise as money laundrey, so VFX is done by cheap 3rd world country companies? Or maybe both reasons? In any case, that's really sad.

Edited by Firepower
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I want to ask some questions to Trevorrow, Bayona and Universal execs: why do dinosaurs look like a pile of crap in both JW and JW:FK? Why decades old trilogy has much better visual effects than 2015-2018 movies with much bigger budget? Animatronics in JW:FK are on the level of Carnosaur movie series, they are so shitty, Stan Winston would have been ashamed if he had seen that shit. And creature VFX in JW:FK looks like a decade old video-game in some places. Indoraptror looks like he escaped from Asylum movie. That's just embarassing, it's unnacceptable for a movie with this budget. So does that mean both Trevorrow and Bayona are terrible directors? Or the real budget of both JW is much lower and Universal uses the franchise as money laundrey, so VFX is done by cheap 3rd world country companies? Or maybe both reasons? In any case, that's really sad.

Lol. I really doubt this 

20 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Didn't Lost World have a 3+ multiplier as well? 72/229, no? Actually, Jurassic Park III did 50/181 too. Looks like every JP flick gets a quality multiplier. 

That was a while ago... I mean by the same metric the original had a 7x multi I'm pretty sure? times have changed. also jp3 had a 5day opening. I do agree though, FK will have decent legs, for same reason as it will overperform everyones silly low predictions - it is not fan driven.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ranger Tree said:

You might not personally like the MCU movies and you are free to think the films are "piece of shit after piece of shit" (I don't even disagree with you) but that clearly is not how the audience responded to the movies as most of the audience enjoyed most of the MCU films. Not the case with certain other franchises like Pirates and Transformers which did have several films which were not well received. 

I don't mind the MCU, but I don't see much difference between any of the franchises listed in that post. 

It's just a double standard.

5 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

A decent plot? Memorable characters that aren’t just stereotypes? 

Christ, even the lawyer in Jurassic Park had better characterisation than any of the cardboard cut outs in Fallen Kingdom...

The difference in quality between JP and FK is massive, FK is a mind numbing action film, JP is much more than that, and it deserves a sequel that doesn’t seem content to just do the bare minimum and appease modern audiences with nothing but “Oooooh dinosaurs!”.

You may be right and we'll see it in effect with FK, but that would also be down to JW, which I assume (may be wrong) people think was received well. It did have solid legs for a record opener. People apparently hated TF2 and that still did well enough to beat the original by a wide margin and I think TF3 made quite a bit too. 

But, I suppose I have almost reached the full casual stage now. Most franchises blend together because there are now so many entries. I watched JP and didn't think it was great. Already forgotten 90% of the movie. I'm not putting down JP to defend FK, because in a year or so I'll probably forget everything that happened in this. To me, these movies are satisfying if they are watchable in the present. 

I would say I really enjoyed some of the MCU movies but can't remember what happens in most of them. There's just too many and they are similar. This goes for every franchise. 

4 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Nope. JP remains an incredibly lean piece of storytelling that perfectly balances awe and horror. It also knew that it needed compelling humans as well as cool dinosaurs, which is why it's the only universally liked entry in the whole series. 

I guess it just didn't resonate with me on that level. 

I'm not saying have no standards with blockbusters. But I don't feel the disparity in some absolutely trashed movies online is deserved when the standard of comparison is not much higher. Black Panther is a good example of this. Besides its significance in representation, the story is pretty bad, but that gets overlooked. However, I only realized this when I rewatched it for Infinity War, so it too served its entertainment purposes on the first go around.

3 hours ago, justvision said:

This. There are 3 major elements in a blockbuster movie, the first two apply to ALL movies: story, characters/characterization, and action/special effects. Most blockbusters do not have strong/believable/inspiring stories, therefore it is the tangible, relatable and memorable characters that elevate a blockbuster above mediocrity. E.g. Star Wars OT excelled in all three, Prequels mostly lacked in characters.

A blockbuster that is poor in story and characters but good in actions/SFx are like MTV or video montage, good for a viewing or two but lacks rewatchablity and ages poorly.

True, but I honestly feel only fanboys (not using it negatively) remember each movie distinctively. I used to be able to too and most of my friends would not, but having had other interests and priorities in life, it becomes really easy to equate most films of the franchise together for the GA.

Anyway, routing back to my original point, the hate FK seems to be getting seems to be OTT when pretty much the whole franchise has done the same. Maybe it's because I wasn't a fan of any of the prior movies, which is why I am able to say that I enjoyed this. Kind of like the active hate on the Last Jedi, when to me it was like every other SW movie before it. All the brouhaha for the same thing. 

5 minutes ago, incognitoo said:

Hush-hush, its time for you to go back to your bridge.

I second this.

Since he really only considered his own so called ”facts” more superior than our (what he assumes, lol) inferior opinions....we can’t take him seriously at all, no matter how desperately hard he tries to tell us otherwise. The same guy who hated Wonder Woman is very factual and is good at forcing them on our opinions........NOT.

A ”Firepower” that just ran out of fuel & engine.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1