#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

Wonder if Dope will get to 10M and screw everyone up in the BSG.

Movies Like "Jobs" or "When the Game stands tall" did around the same number in August and failed to cross the 10m-mark with a higher theater count. So I'm not sure about that. Dope obviously has the critics, though.

This year might be even worse from a box office standpoint: Terminator 5 and Magic Mike 2.

At least we should have some strong holdovers with Inside Out and Jurassic World, and Ted 2 will be in its second weekend to help as well.

Edited by Mango
  • Like 1

Movies Like "Jobs" or "When the Game stands tall" did around the same number in August and failed to cross the 10m-mark with a higher theater count. So I'm not sure about that. Dope obviously has the critics, though.

But what about the urban audience?  :ph34r:

This year might be even worse from a box office standpoint: Terminator 5 and Magic Mike 2.

Both will do better than the 30M Tammy did over the 5 day period. That was a ridiculously empty 4th of July weekend. Hollywood had no tentpoles to put there. I felt Marvel should have delayed Captain America 2 and released it over the 4th of July holiday, perfect marriage of character, concept and the holiday period.

• Like 3

So far this summer I've seen: Ultron, Fury Road, San Andreas and Spy.

Ultron was a massive disappointment joining the ranks of TDKR, BOTFA, DH2, AWE, DOTM...only those movies had 2 or more streak before disappointing me. (Hobbit 1 debatable). Fury Road was excellent. San Andreas is my type of movie but I don't think I put it above even 2012. Spy was actually pretty funny.

2014 was great and it did very averagely. My three most anticipated movies of the year, Edge of Tomorrow, Dawn of the Apes and HTTYD2, I pretty much loved them on first watch. EOT holds up, Dragon 2 less so (maybe because I watched the first again too, back to back) and I have yet to see Dawn again. Godzilla, 22JS, DOFP were also enjoyable. edit: And it seems to be damn rare that my most anticipated movies all meet (at the time all definitely exceeded) expectations. 

2013 was a major piece of shit and it's the record holder for summer isn't it? Iron Man 3, Man of Steel, This is the End...I don't even remember what else came out. MU was far from Pixar's top echelons, STID (lol at the acronym) was superb on first watch in the cinema and a bloody mess second time round...I liked White House Down though it doesn't hold up too well either. Oh, Furious 6, terrible. Epic, majorly disappointing. Didn't even bother with Hangover 3. etc.

Edited by BK007
  • Like 1

Both will do better than the 30M Tammy did over the 5 day period. That was a ridiculously empty 4th of July weekend. Hollywood had no tentpoles to put there. I felt Marvel should have delayed Captain America 2 and released it over the 4th of July holiday, perfect marriage of character, concept and the holiday period.

Yeah, maybe could have reached 300 in that spot.

The difference is this year we will have a bunch of strong holdovers that will give a pretty good variety of films to choose from.

Terminator 5 - 38m (48m 5 day)

Magic Mike 2 - 35m (43m 5 day

Ted 2 - 31m

Jurassic world - 30m

Inside out - 23.5m

Last year only Tammy and transformers made over 20m...

• Like 1

It enrages me that they didn't release Cap in Germany on May 7, Japan on August 6 and Italy on September 8 remind the Axis that ole Cap and the USA remained supreme

Too soon?  :ph34r:

Edited by DAR
  • Like 3

But Transformers' 4th of July Weekend was its second weekend. I think Terminator 5 will beat TF4's second weekend. And MM2 will beat Tammy. Plus probably some decent holdovers.

Speaking of last year, just oook at everything that moved: 50 Shades, Minions, Spongebob, Fast 7, Jupiter, JURASSIC WORLD, Home, Seventh Son, Paddington, Kingsman, Taken 3? , Project Almanac, and I think Bond was originally 2014 too.

Only things that have moved this year: London Has Fallen, BVS, Assasins Creed, Kung Fu Panda 3, Kitchen Sink, Dirty Grandpa, Monster Trucks, Warcraft, Finding Dory, and Jungle Book.

2015 lost some good titles, but hey its freed up the market to allow other movies to make breathe and flourish. But with 2014 there was nothing strong enough to compensate for the losses. F7 left July and Jurassic World left June so that was money left on the table. 2014 was just horrid, but when you consider everything that was taken out, plus the fact that most everything else just didnt a thing to make it stick out, its no wonder why. Luckily we shouldnt suffer that bad again.

• Like 1