grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

5 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

I can’t deny the legs weren’t that great but it wasn’t horrendous like the average horror movie.

2.155 is pretty much like an average horror movie, even horror movie sequel no ?

Insidious: The Last Key Uni. $67,560,690 3,150 $29,581,355 3,116 1/5/2018 2.283894
Insidious Chapter 3 Focus $52,218,558 3,014 $22,692,741 3,002 6/5/2015 2.301113
Insidious Chapter 2 FD $83,586,447 3,155 $40,272,103 3,049 ######## 2.075542
Insidious FD $54,009,150 2,419 $13,271,464 2,408 4/1/2011 4.06957

234 movie openned 50M or above of those only 11 had a worst multiplier than Godzilla:

Watchmen WB 1.947136
Fifty Shades of Grey Uni. 1.950973
Valentine's Day WB (NL) 1.963816
Paranormal Activity 3 Par. 1.978931
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice WB 1.990034
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 Sum. 2.036508
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2 LG/S 2.072231
The Twilight Saga: New Moon Sum. 2.076627
Halloween (2018) Uni. 2.090039
X-Men Origins: Wolverine Fox 2.114829
Hulk Uni. 2.127484

Many of those being sequels unlike Godzilla.

13 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Ahh so Godzilla 2014 must be the original Star Wars the Last Jedi? 😂

It had Days of Future Past coming out right after it, followed by Maleficient. Kong: Skull Island, which had much better reception, dropped down from Godzilla everywhere including domestically except for China, where it blew up enough to make more in total than Godzilla 2014. Beauty and the Beast destroyed it’s legs.

66% second weekend drop and 61% third weekend because of DOFP and Maleficent? Seems a bit extreme, especially since the poorly recieved TASM2 didn't drop more than 53% in the weekends that Godzilla and DOFP opened. And Maleficent doesn't even target the same audience, but whatever....

WW, Kong may have dropped everywhere except China, but China was still big enough to make it outgross Godzilla, and I'm pretty sure that's what WB cares about. Kong likely wouldn't have dropped everywhere if Godzilla had gotten good enough reception on its own right. And how did BATB destroy its legs? At least DOM it didn't.... it dropped 53% second weekend against a 174M opener, for God's sake (nearly double that of what DOFP opened to in 3 days), and then had a 2.76x multiplier, which isn't phenomenal but is certainly fairly decent for a franchise monster movie stuck in between two huge blockbusters (Logan and BATB).

10 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Either way staying on topic, I think there’s enough hype for Godzilla: King of the Monsters that could not only have it experience a good OW despite opening less than Godzilla 2014, but it could affect Aladdin especially since whereas that movie is getting good buzz, Aladdin isn’t. 

Godzilla2 reaction So Far is positive.The first didn't have good leg.But it won't influence much godzilla2 imo

Edited by SliverS

20 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

66% second weekend drop and 61% third weekend because of DOFP and Maleficent? Seems a bit extreme, especially since the poorly recieved TASM2 didn't drop more than 53% in the weekends that Godzilla and DOFP opened. And Maleficent doesn't even target the same audience, but whatever....

WW, Kong may have dropped everywhere except China, but China was still big enough to make it outgross Godzilla, and I'm pretty sure that's what WB cares about. Kong likely wouldn't have dropped everywhere if Godzilla had gotten good enough reception on its own right. And how did BATB destroy its legs? At least DOM it didn't.... it dropped 53% second weekend against a 174M opener, for God's sake (nearly double that of what DOFP opened to in 3 days), and then had a 2.76x multiplier, which isn't phenomenal but is certainly fairly decent for a franchise monster movie stuck in between two huge blockbusters (Logan and BATB).

Spider-Man had more of the children demo which Godzilla kinda lacked and had no blockbuster of its size or bigger in the weekend after it came out, of course it was gonna have a 50% drop(s). Days of Future Past had more hype than Godzilla and was the focus of many late night shows, magazines like EW, had a star assemble (Jennifer Lawrence at the peak of her career and Hugh Jackman hoy off a good Wolverine film) as it’s cast, more marketing exposure, etc. Godzilla appealed to the kind of audience that will later go on to see Kong, Rampage, and The Meg, but it also attracted people that were hyped to see Bryan Cranston after Breaking Bad; people who probably never seen a Godzilla film before. Hence the big opening weekend, and ‘embarrassing’ legs that followed it and failed to look good compared to it. I’m going to blame the writing for not making a better film that could’ve resulted in better legs but the past is the past. 

Kong: Skull Island had the novelty of having King Kong, more iconic than Godzilla, and a more recognizable cast featuring Loki, Nick Fury, the future Captain Marvel, and John Goodman. Unfortunately it was stuck between 2 of 2017’s most anticipated films and it was the film that “needed to pay the sins of Godzilla.” When word of mouth got out that it was a much better and entertaining film, it resulted in better legs, but by then Beauty and the Beast was dominating the WW box office.

Edited by JGAR4LIFE

I smell box office disaster for these reasons:

Release date- it was bad idea to release it on Memorial Day. BO data shows that films fare poorly on this weekend. There's way too much competition. It's going to be a crowded hot sweaty summer.

Early buzz- they shouldn't have released those images when the film is early in development. The film is being trashed on social networks for its portrayal of Genie, Aladdin and the style of the film.

Guy Ritchie- Disney hired the wrong director for this film, but i hope he succeeds.

Audience fatigue- Like what i said earlier, it's too crowded and audiences might get tired of seeing blockbuster after blockbuster or save money to go see bigger titles like Avengers 4, the lion king, toy story 4, detective pikachu, and Godzilla 2.

3 minutes ago, Heat Vision said:

Is safe to say that this film and Dumbo will struggle. I'm still looking forward to Lion King, Little Mermaid and Mulan remakes though.

Dumbo isn't facing that much competition. It comes out 2 weeks after captain marvel and there doesn't seem to be any competition until Avengers end game arrives in late April. I think it'll have a solid run.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, movieboner said:

I smell box office disaster for these reasons:

Release date- it was bad idea to release it on Memorial Day. BO data shows that films fare poorly on this weekend. There's way too much competition. It's going to be a crowded hot sweaty summer.

Early buzz- they shouldn't have released those images when the film is early in development. The film is being trashed on social networks for its portrayal of Genie, Aladdin and the style of the film.

Guy Ritchie- Disney hired the wrong director for this film, but i hope he succeeds.

Audience fatigue- Like what i said earlier, it's too crowded and audiences might get tired of seeing blockbuster after blockbuster or save money to go see bigger titles like Avengers 4, the lion king, toy story 4, detective pikachu, and Godzilla 2.

Memorial Day isn't causing movies to fail.  That's just a loose correlation based on a few films.

And what exactly comprises a failure?

And early twitter buzz? We can write a book on what's going on with that. I do agree, though, that even if the negative press isn't warranted, it has an effect. That's just the world and times we are living. It's not the film's fault but it's the film's problem. Plus. people don't read the articles.

The Shay looks at this...

Prince of Persia vibe intensifies...

AAARGH prepare to die you infidels, we're all back to 2010 now where it all started & the Shay is once again gonna let ungodly forum fire rain upon your Arabian hating troll mugs, like back then in the good old days!!!... Prince of Persia forever!!

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The pics are fine and Aladdin's gonna make bank due to similar reasons as Beauty and the Beast

But Lion King will quite literally be King, dumbfounding everyone who might think how can people be invested with a movie that has no humans. 

Edited by Yandereprime101189