grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

29 minutes ago, Menor said:

Switch the release dates I bet the RT scores will switch as well, the remakes were more of a novelty in 2017, but now that we're getting 3 a year critics are probably getting tired.

I thought we also getting 3 marvel films a year? Critics seem fine with them

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I thought we also getting 3 marvel films a year? Critics seem fine with them

Less variety in remakes than MCU, no matter how much some people try to claim that Winter Solider, Ragnarok, and Ant-Man & the Wasp are basically the same. Remake fatigue might become real in a way that superhero fatigue has failed to.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jedijake said:

Critics probably review movies based on risks, artistic value, and all of that "stuff". Sometimes audiences just want to have fun when they go to a theater. This is an example of that disconnect. We'll see who wins out.

If it's that simple, I am rooting for the critics.

If I do see this in theaters, I will definitely go in with an extremely critical mindset, and it's up to Disney, Ritchie, Massoud, and Scott to change it. I'm not satisfied with "at least it's not" or "good enough." This movie, as with other remakes, has to be better than the original, or else there's zero justification in making it.

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

9 minutes ago, I Am said:

This movie, as with other remakes, has to be better than the original, or else there's zero justification in making it.

Being entertained for two hours isn't justification enough?

Okay then.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, I Am said:

If I do see this in theaters, I will definitely go in with an extremely critical mindset, and it's up to Disney, Ritchie, Massoud, and Scott to change it. I'm not satisfied with "at least it's not" or "good enough." This movie, as with other remakes, has to be better than the original, or else there's zero justification in making it.

I strongly object... they are a wonderful update... period

TTVOMJ

I saw it Thursday night, on Previews - which I had never done, because they are like TWICE more expensive than a Friday showing in my country.

The movie was so good that I had to wait till Friday night to see it a second time before commenting...

but I'm still at a loss for words. I laughed a lot (mainly during the first half), I cried a lot (mainly during the second half) - and not a single second was wasted. The movie feels 1 hour long - not 2 hours.

I was right for everything I kept saying all these months:

1. The songs alone are worth seeing this 8 to 10 times. One time for each song, including the credits and the dance pieces. (I saw Alita 6 times, but it had no songs).

2. Aladdin and Alita are the two special movies of this great year. Add Ep. 9 for a solid TOP 3 - and all the others are way below. Endgame is not even in the first dozen.

3. Fuck the critics. Both of these movies will have EXCEPTIONAL word of mouth and the unconditional love of everyone who saw them. Any critic that goes against them is acting suicidal.

I was wrong only for one thing, so I did good to wait to see the movie first:

1. Turns out dude playing Jafar is neither ugly, nor gay, nor exceptionally untalented.

Well, he looks, probably, a bit of all three - but he is so pathetic he feels almost endearing. :) So I liked him, poor soul.

And another thing I was right for saying a couple of times:

4. They DID change Jafar's character CONSIDERABLY - to the point of being a totally different person to old Jafar. So the actor that was a terrible match for the old Jafar - is quite appropriate for the slimy careeristic worm we get here.

Our Guy did no wrong! The movie is all kinds of brave and innovative - and fails in none!

If you love your life - go see it on a BIG screen.

Thank the Shay later. 

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 1

Seems to be a pissing match between the critics and audience. As the audience score slowly edged up a couple of % points, the critics went down. It had been 60/90 now at the end of the day it's 57/92. 

What's the opposite of review bombing? 

The trailers made this look like a disaster, so color me very surprised that I actually enjoyed it. 

Naomi Scott is sensational. Speechless is easily one of the best songs to come from Disney and that's saying a lot. The scene where she sings the song is the highlight of the film. Jasmine's character really shone and is an easy improvement on the animated one.

Will Smith is a lot of fun and crazy charismatic, and Mena was meh as Aladdin. Jafar sucked. 

• Like 4

Will Smith's Genie makes this a scarier movie than almost any horror movie I've seen so far this year.  It's terrifying.  I feel bad for whichever kid that sees this movie and is scarred for life by whatever the hell that thing is.  Why the hell does he have abs?  Who greenlit this design and thought it was okay?  Any time he transforms back into a regular Will Smith body is one of the only times you feel like you can relax

Anyway, this was really bad lol.  It's the animated movie again but it does everything worse, which is more or less what I expected going in so I'm not surprised.  Every new addition doesn't serve the story in any meaningful way other than to pad the runtime.  Most of the musical numbers feel lifeless and pale in comparison to their animated counterparts.  And worst of all, it's a complete bore.  This didn't need to be 2+ hours long, especially when the original movie is 40 minutes shorter than this.

The day that Disney stops cheapening their own work by repackaging it in live action will be a great day.  Until then though, the original Aladdin is still a great movie and will probably be remembered for far longer than this movie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

15 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Will Smith's Genie makes this a scarier movie than almost any horror movie I've seen so far this year.  It's terrifying.  I feel bad for whichever kid that sees this movie and is scarred for life by whatever the hell that thing is.  Why the hell does he have abs?  Who greenlit this design and thought it was okay?  Any time he transforms back into a regular Will Smith body is one of the only times you feel like you can relax

Anyway, this was really bad lol.  It's the animated movie again but it does everything worse, which is more or less what I expected going in so I'm not surprised.  Every new addition doesn't serve the story in any meaningful way other than to pad the runtime.  Most of the musical numbers feel lifeless and pale in comparison to their animated counterparts.  And worst of all, it's a complete bore.  This didn't need to be 2+ hours long, especially when the original movie is 40 minutes shorter than this.

The day that Disney stops cheapening their own work by repackaging it in live action will be a great day.  Until then though, the original Aladdin is still a great movie and will probably be remembered for far longer than this movie.

I smell the fear (and not because of the cgi-ed genie) ...

(just joking) 

LOL, you can only read such "reactions" here...

while word on the street is PHENOMENAL!! I read thousands of comments: everyone who's already seen this says it is just as good or BETTER than the animated one!!

Who expected that??!!

So, whatever OW this gets - legs are gonna be crazy and the final success imminent!

37 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Just like audiences "loved" the "Beauty and the Beast" remake then everyone forgot about it six months later.

4 minutes ago, I Am said:

I'm not entertained by remakes that are hollow shells of original classics.

That's not what you said though.  You said, and I quote:

8 hours ago, I Am said:

You said it "has to be better than the original, or else there's zero justification in making it".  I gave a justification:  Namely being entertaining on its own terms.

Now if something is so bad that on its own terms, it's bad, then fair does.  TOG pretty much hates it for that reason, it appears.

But your first post I responded to seems to imply that if something is as good as the original or close to being as good as the original, it has no reason to exist.  

Personally, and this is just me talking, folks finding it entertaining on its own terms is justification enough for it to exist.

10 minutes ago, I Am said:

Just like audiences "loved" the "Beauty and the Beast" remake then everyone forgot about it six months later.

EXACLTY LOL. I didn’t fell for that one. 

And I feel really stupid for seeing this. 

• Like 1