Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

1 hour ago, Ororo Munroe said:

I'm not sure if you're being willfully obtuse or not but again, the issue is that this Joker resembles violent men we see in real life and if some see this movie as making such men sympathetic, that's a valid criticism. 

The movie is a work of fiction. If you’re afraid that it will inspire people to commit acts of violence, then you’re contributing to the narrative of the people who use movies and video games as a scapegoat. It’s just like when people spread that debunked rumor that the Aurora shooter identified as the Joker. It places the blame on the wrong thing. 

19 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The movie is a work of fiction. If you’re afraid that it will inspire people to commit acts of violence, then you’re contributing to the narrative of the people who use movies and video games as a scapegoat. It’s just like when people spread that debunked rumor that the Aurora shooter identified as the Joker. It places the blame on the wrong thing. 

Good lord, maybe you are obtuse. 

My point isn't about being afraid that this movie will inspire people to commit violence but about why this movie is receiving criticism that other movies in the genre have not. I'm not even on the "this movie is dangerous" train but that isn't to say the narrative this movie pushes isn't problematic. Todd Phillips opened the door to all kinds of political critique when he decided to portray Joker as a loser neglected by society. You want to be daring or edgy or try to make some political statement with a movie, well, you gotta take the bad with the good. 

21 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

My point isn't about being afraid that this movie will inspire people to commit violence but about why this movie is receiving criticism that other movies in the genre have not. I'm not even on the "this movie is dangerous" train but that isn't to say the narrative this movie pushes isn't problematic. Todd Phillips opened the door to all kinds of political critique when he decided to portray Joker as a loser neglected by society. You want to be daring or edgy or try to make some political statement with a movie, well, you gotta take the bad with the good. 

Didn’t this whole conversation start because of the news that people were afraid the movie would inspire violence? 

1 hour ago, cax16 said:

Hopefully no one from Gotham is inspired to do the bad things that Arthur Fleck does in this movie.............

I wonder if this film had just been about a disturbed comedian named Arthur Fleck who goes on a rampage but does not become The Joker there would be quite the fuss about this movie.

Though other movies with violence have created a fuss "CLockwork Orange" "Taxi Driver", etc.

I have to watch "KIng of Comedy" agiand before The Joker opens. Looks as if there is an awful lot of Rupert Pupkin in Arthur Fleck.

Simple. This film is violent in a way other CBM have not been.  CLear it is a lot closer to movies like "Taxi Driver" "King of Comedy" and "Falling Down" (though Falling Down is nowhere near as good as the other 2" then to your typical comic book movie.

And it's not like the Joker as a loser is new. Alan Moore did that in "Killing Joke".

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

In today's world, violence can strike anywhere. 

A few thousand peoples working in their offices in NYC got killed not that long ago...…...

Welcome to the real world, pal. 

Thanks pal. Didn't realize violence had become so normalized. Next time I see guy in full in military gear, I won't freak out because that's the real world we live in.

Just because it happens, doesnt mean I have to like it. But then again I am Canadian and not American where violence has become a normal thing.

48 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Didn’t this whole conversation start because of the news that people were afraid the movie would inspire violence? 

Ok? Is that what I was arguing? No.

7 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Simple. This film is violent in a way other CBM have not been.  CLear it is a lot closer to movies like "Taxi Driver" "King of Comedy" and "Falling Down" (though Falling Down is nowhere near as good as the other 2" then to your typical comic book movie.

And it's not like the Joker as a loser is new. Alan Moore did that in "Killing Joke".

What's your point? 

We live in a society lmao.

What narrative does it push? That it is wrong for society to neglect people who are "losers"? To show that such callousness can lead to further wrongs? Jesus christ. You realize there are people in this world who have severe mental disorders like one arthur Fleck and are completely disregarded by society? Is this not a story one should make and spread awareness for?

Oh wait. The discourse is already that the severely mentally ill are a threat to society.

2 minutes ago, The Chad DC said:

We live in a society lmao.

What narrative does it push? That it is wrong for society to neglect people who are "losers"? To show that such callousness can lead to further wrongs? Jesus christ. You realize there are people in this world who have severe mental disorders like one arthur Fleck and are completely disregarded by society? Is this not a story one should make and spread awareness for?

Oh wait. The discourse is already that the severely mentally ill are a threat to society.

Lol What nonsense. 

If you can't figure out why pushing the above narrative with a character like Joker could be problematic and lead to plenty of criticism, I don't know what to tell you. 

3 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Lol What nonsense. 

If you can't figure out why pushing the above narrative with a character like Joker could be problematic and lead to plenty of criticism, I don't know what to tell you. 

What nonsense lmao.

I've studied criminality and mental illness for years. You realize mental illness is criminalized? You realize people don't react kindly to those who receive the mental illness defence? Just to name a few because i know you're just ignore this now.

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about.

And who should we push it with? There is no evidence and there will never be that the character Joker causes violence.

You must also think that GTA5 = real life violence too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Chad DC said:

What nonsense lmao.

I've studied criminality and mental illness for years. You realize mental illness is criminalized? You realize people don't react kindly to those who receive the mental illness defence? Just to name a few because i know you're just ignore this now.

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about.

And who should we push it with? There is no evidence and there will never be that the character Joker causes violence.

You must also think that GTA5 = real life violence too.

What I realize is that there are plenty of misconceptions about mental illness. That it is the automatic defence for white men who terrorize is one of the reasons this movie is receiving criticism. The idea that it's spreading awareness via a character like Joker is laughable. The irony is apparently lost on you. 

18 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

What I realize is that there are plenty of misconceptions about mental illness. That it is the automatic defence for white men who terrorize is one of the reasons this movie is receiving criticism. The idea that it's spreading awareness via a character like Joker is laughable. The irony is apparently lost on you. 

Please expand on that first sentence. And the second sentence is, and i say this as a POC, racist and sexist. White men does not just equal incel domestic terrorists.

Honestly the discourse that you are repeating here around white men, mental illness, and domestic terrorism is very assumptive and with great tunnel vision. Some people are hateful and deserve no sympathy. Others are mentally ill and react violently as a result. These people can be also very hateful, but to dehumanize them as just "white men" doing "white men" stuff is problematic (and one of things the movie addresses).

I suggest you spend time around white men with severe mental illness and who commit violence. Are they hateful and danergous? Sometimes. Are they incredibly ill? Yes. But people can still commit awful acts with mental illness, and still be human. I have been around enough ex-criminals, ex-hateful incels, and ex-Neo Nazis, and I can tell you that people can change. Not all white men are incel terrorists. Even the ones that are, can change because they are human that were put in awful situations.

So why does it bleeping matter who addresses these social issues? Would you rather the white male Santa do it? The king of Christmas coming this October. Joker isn't the first movie to address the callousness of society with white men and won't be the last. The joker has the same impact on violence that John wick has on people getting headshots in real life. Zero.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hades said:

Lords Feige to oversee failed/failing Disney properties like The Muppets, Pirates franchise,ABC, ESPN, Disney parks,  Marvel tv, Marvel comics, Fox studios, etc because why the hell not?

They think announcing Kevin Fiege will stop the bleeding. It won’t ..

13 hours ago, The Chad DC said:

Please expand on that first sentence. And the second sentence is, and i say this as a POC, racist and sexist. White men does not just equal incel domestic terrorists.

Honestly the discourse that you are repeating here around white men, mental illness, and domestic terrorism is very assumptive and with great tunnel vision. Some people are hateful and deserve no sympathy. Others are mentally ill and react violently as a result. These people can be also very hateful, but to dehumanize them as just "white men" doing "white men" stuff is problematic (and one of things the movie addresses).

I suggest you spend time around white men with severe mental illness and who commit violence. Are they hateful and danergous? Sometimes. Are they incredibly ill? Yes. But people can still commit awful acts with mental illness, and still be human. I have been around enough ex-criminals, ex-hateful incels, and ex-Neo Nazis, and I can tell you that people can change. Not all white men are incel terrorists. Even the ones that are, can change because they are human that were put in awful situations.

So why does it bleeping matter who addresses these social issues? Would you rather the white male Santa do it? The king of Christmas coming this October. Joker isn't the first movie to address the callousness of society with white men and won't be the last. The joker has the same impact on violence that John wick has on people getting headshots in real life. Zero.

I wasn't going to respond to this but I must say that "not all white men..." gave me chuckle. Thanks. 

15 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

So now apparently the track is that by reporting on warnings of a potential massacres, the media wants to cause a mass shooting to...hurt Jokers reception? Seriously? People think the media wants civilians to die so that Joker looks bad?????

Either "journalists" who caused this controversy are ugly stupid and don't unterstand what they are doing, or they are just horrible human beings and psychos who want to get someone killed to cause another controversy for clicks. Maybe both. But definitely nothing else. All they do is spread panic and histeria, most of them didn't even see the movie, 99.99% of the world didn't see the movie.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 3