Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

14 minutes ago, infamous5445 said:

The butthurt over Spider-man coming back is hilarious.

Not as funny as when the separation happened 😛

but both times people have been way overboard

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

But there isn’t decent space between them. Again, it’s three movies coming out in the span of less than two months. 

That's just how summer is. 3 in 2 months is not some massive crowding.

8 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

It may be, it may be. That’s still 2 years away, I won’t pretend that anything is for sure.       

But I’d rather see this 2021 CBM OW ranking: 

Batman

TSS

SM3

Thor4

DS2

Shang-Chi    

Than this one:   

Thor4

DS2

Batman

Shang-Chi

TSS     

I'd be surprised if Batman opened above SM3 which will have a cliffhanger rush, especially since Joker isn't really supposed to be connected to Batman.

8 minutes ago, Menor said:

I'd be surprised if Batman opened above SM3 which will have a cliffhanger rush, especially since Joker isn't really supposed to be connected to Batman.

I’d be surprised to see Batman open in the top 2 tbh, but my point was that the rankings are very secondary compared to SM3 existing at all.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Menor said:

That's just how summer is. 3 in 2 months is not some massive crowding.

Three superhero movies opening in less than two months will mean that at least one of these films will most likely be left in the dust, just like what happened to Shazam!

Anyway, I’m betting that the Matt Reeves Batman movie won’t be a huge hit. Batman as an IP took a massive hit in the past three years, and I don’t see what hook a Batman movie directed by someone like Matt Reeves could possibly have. Sure, Robert Pattinson is a good actor, but the general public only knows him as a sparkly vampire. Then again, people are talking quite a bit about The Lighthouse, so maybe that will help change at least some people’s perception of Pattinson. 

55 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Lol aliens from outer space. This is like saying thanos inspired people to destroy the planet. Delusional. Joker is much closer to what actually happens.

I'm not talking about the movie itself. I'm talking about the fact that air Force commercials were playing right before the movie in cinemas, the fact that Brie Larson was tweeting air Force propaganda and was in videos that fetishes the military as part of the movie's marketing campaign. The red carpet itself was mostly consisted air Force members posing for the public. If you think the air Force didn't use the movie (and Disney let them) to recruit younger people, then you're the delusional one here.

The movie itself is just hypocritical. It talks about ending wars when it fetishes the air Force too.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

The Batman could easily be top 2 if all goes well (great marketing, reviews, wom.) Don't underestimate how much interest there still is in Batman, especially another good solo Batman movie. 

It will open high but I'm expecting 150+ openings for both SM and Thor which will be tough for Batman to match, especially with BvS and JL tarnishing the brand somewhat.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, Menor said:

It will open high but I'm expecting 150+ openings for both SM and Thor which will be tough for Batman to match, especially with BvS and JL tarnishing the brand somewhat.

Joker and Aquaman are proof that the brand isn't tarnished. I think all three will manage 150 mil+ openings.

How does one define opening high in 2021? Opening below $150 million in 2021 seems pretty lackluster to me, especially if the movie has Thursday night previews that begin at 1:00 PM or something. TDK opened to $158 million in 2008, and that movie didn’t have 3D tickets or Thursday night previews.

Besides, Matt Reeves isn’t exactly a crowd pleasing director. 

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

Joker and Aquaman are proof that the brand isn't tarnished. I think all three will manage 150 mil+ openings.

I mean tarnished as in it's nowhere near as big as the TDK days, not that it won't do really well. And I don't think Joker really proves anything since its selling point is being a standalone character piece.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

18 minutes ago, Menor said:

I don't think it will be tough. It's Batman. Lol If the movie is well received, it's going to open big. 

12 minutes ago, Menor said:

I mean tarnished as in it's nowhere near as big as the TDK days, not that it won't do really well. And I don't think Joker really proves anything since its selling point is being a standalone character piece.

I would doubt any of these films would even reach 100 mil of TDK's DOM gross. And, yeah, being marketed as a standalone character piece can totally help a movie rake in a 80 mil+ OW.

40 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm not talking about the movie itself. I'm talking about the fact that air Force commercials were playing right before the movie in cinemas, the fact that Brie Larson was tweeting air Force propaganda and was in videos that fetishes the military as part of the movie's marketing campaign. The red carpet itself was mostly consisted air Force members posing for the public. If you think the air Force didn't use the movie (and Disney let them) to recruit younger people, then you're the delusional one here.

The movie itself is just hypocritical. It talks about ending wars when it fetishes the air Force too.

That part I agree with. The killing foreigners bit is delusional

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

Batman Begins didn’t open particularly big. 

Not exactly the same situation. The Batman brand was at its lowest back then. No one was really clamoring for another Batman movie. There is already plenty of hype for this upcoming movie and it will only increase with more great buzz.