Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

When it comes down to it Phillips purposely made this film divisively. It won't be loved near as much as TDK, Batman Begins, EG, IW to many while others might think it's in a totally different league. To me suffering to watch something defeats the purpose of movies.

9 hours ago, Hades said:

This thread...:gold:

It all comes down to some  MCU fanboys being triggered by Todd and WB for making a well received DC film that is getting free publicity....right?

Well aren't you a good judge? And the Oscar goes to.... Why bring MCU vs DC? MCU has literally every movie with good reception. DC has also had those 3 recently why bring this bull shit. People are concerned about Joker for other reasons not some dumb reception. America has a very big problem when you are not safe anywhere, mass shooting happen. Guy gets rejected by a girl, what does he do? Kill her and many others in his school. And most of the times the reason given is they are mentally ill. I mean for fucks sake Murder is murder, stop blaming everything on fucking mental illness. It's crazy that only in America do Mass shooters suffer from mental illness, you don't find that reason in any other countries? So people are sceptical about it not some dumb bull shit of Marvel Vs DC has to happen every single time. Get out of here with your biases.

Edited by Nero

19 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

When it comes down to it Phillips purposely made this film divisively. It won't be loved near as much as TDK, Batman Begins, EG, IW to many while others might think it's in a totally different league. To me suffering to watch something defeats the purpose of movies.

:universal facepalm:
Can you please think twice before writing a post? :) 

10 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Imagine being so mad at a film you haven't even seen. And why do you think the movie will say nothing interesting? You haven't seen it yet. You aren't giving the movie a chance because you've decided to hate it from the moment it was introduced.

The Ruska Romani originated from India but are part of the Indo-European group. Someone like John Wick won't be considering Indian-American or Asian-American but Caucasian like almost all Indo-Europeans. At that point, you're gonna have to consider Persians Indian too (and pretty much all of them are considered white). 

Also, John Wick did kill innocent people. He was an assassin. Just because he doesn't do it in the movie (he did kill random guards and security in the first film). And the last point you made was already something I argued against. Because a movie doesn't look at the morality of his actions doesn't change much. Unless he's using water guns, and not real guns, it makes no difference. 

If Joker fails at social commentary and it's messages, then that's a fine criticism but if people assume Joker will start mass shootings without even having seen the movie, then that's delusional and that's no different than the right wing's comments on video games causing shootings. I wouldn't have said far-right (since that really isn't a far-right argument even) but it certainly is a similar point to the one conservatives have been making for years.

If it came to me I wouldn't use Wick as a defense but A Clockwork Orange since that's a well regarded movie that literally uses violence as a metaphor for free will. If people are fine with a movie that makes the audience empathise with rapist and murderer and asks if those acts are truly the worst form of evil, I don't see the problem here.

Imagine thinking I'm "so mad" because I have no interest in a Joker movie. Why would I give it a chance if nothing about it looks interesting to me? Why do I think it will say nothing interesting? Because Todd Phillips has never had anything interesting to say. 

Keep reaching with that Ruska Romani argument. As I said, there are many Romani people who don't look white nor would they be described as such. This hardly confirms Wick's whiteness. 

Of course you would like to argue that context doesn't matter. Lol Yeah, doesn't matter that domestic terrorists resemble someone more like this Joker than John Wick. Fact is, when a movie aims for social commentary, it's going to be judged differently than your normal action movie, as it should be. This is what Phillips wanted...he wanted to make a "real movie" and so he should have been prepared for all that comes with that. 

2 hours ago, Nero said:

Well aren't you a good judge? And the Oscar goes to.... Why bring MCU vs DC? MCU has literally every movie with good reception. DC has also had those 3 recently why bring this bull shit. People are concerned about Joker for other reasons not some dumb reception. America has a very big problem when you are not space anywhere, mass shooting happen. Guy gets rejected buy a girl, what does he do? Kill her and many others in his school. And most of the times the reason given is They are mentally ill. I mean for fucks sake Murder is murder, stop blaming everything on fucking mental illness. It's crazy that only in America do Mass shooters suffer from mental illness, you don't find that reason in any other countries? So people are sceptical about it not some dumb bull shit of Marvel Vs DC has to happen every single time. Get out of here with your biases.

So many fans were convinced that this was going to be some groundbreaking, game-changing movie... like nothing you've seen in the genre before! And now that it isn't getting universal praise, they can't handle it. They are doing their best to try trivialize even legitimate criticism and dismiss all critics, American critics anyway. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe

19 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Imagine thinking I'm "so mad" because I have no interest in a Joker movie. Why would I give it a chance if nothing about it looks interesting to me? Why do I think it will say nothing interesting? Because Todd Phillips has never had anything interesting to say. 

Keep reaching with that Ruska Romani argument. As I said, there are many Romani people who don't look white nor would they be described as such. This hardly confirms Wick's whiteness. 

Except you're comments don't seem to show that you have no interest but that you already hate the movie. Also, I guess Chernobyl wasn't interesting because Craig Mazin had nothing interesting to say before.

No Ruska Romani who looks like John Wick would be considered anything but Caucasian and I doubt John Wick would be considered either Asian (Ruska Romanis don't even come from the Far East side of Asia) or Indian the same way Persians aren't. And again, you are too caught up in these minor details that don't matter because you're main point is pretty empty.

Of course you would like to argue that context doesn't matter. Lol Yeah, doesn't matter that domestic terrorists resemble someone more like this Joker than John Wick. Fact is, when a movie aims for social commentary, it's going to be judged differently than your normal action movie, as it should be. This is what Phillips wanted...he wanted to make a "real movie" and now he can't handle all that comes with that.

So many fans were convinced that this was going to be some groundbreaking, game-changing movie... like nothing you've seen in the genre before! And now that it isn't getting universal praise, they can't handle it. They are doing their best to try trivialize even legitimate criticism and dismiss all critics, American critics anyway. 

Todd Philips told Phoenix that he wanted to make a real film, not us. Maybe it was a way to get Pheonix (who doesn't like franchise films) to make a movie. And domestic terrorists are mentally ill, like the Joker. How does that make the movie dangerous? How do you know the movie will incite those people to do more domestic terrorism? It doesn't seem to glamorise gunplay the same way a John Wick does. 

Most people haven't seen the movie to criticise the social commentary. Your point is that I am trying to trivialise critics but I'm not talking about critics who HAVE seen the film and neither is Philips. It's about people who haven't seen the film. Yes, there are people like Firepower who talk crap about people who have seen the film but Philips isn't talking about people who have seen the film. He's talking about people who haven't seen the film and are talking about how it it dangerous without even knowing how it works (ngl, those people sound a lot like yourself).

"Real" film or not, no movie comes with what Joker came with. Yeah, we got random people on Twitter talking about how The Irishman (a film that's more "real" than this) is a dangerous film. 

Edited by lorddemaxus

24 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Wait shouldn't you be mad at JW3 then, for casting Reeves in the role? Or do you think all non-whites look the same?

• Knock It Off 1

3 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

This is some.... ridiculously unprofessional ass shit right here

Here you again. Wouldn't it be great if no one was following this film and then you could just say false and incorrect stuff without anyone calling you out on your BS?

If you actually read articles where these quotes originate from then you would realize that this is part of Joaquin's method acting. Do you know how intense it is to play the Joker? Isn't incredible that Joaquin has the self-awareness to walk out when he doesn't feel right? Why are you calling it unprofessional for an actor to walk out because he feels he needs to take a break?

Joaquin is one of the most respected actors in the industry. Stop making up BS.

Edited by The Chad DC

43 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Except you're comments don't seem to show that you have no interest but that you already hate the movie. Also, I guess Chernobyl wasn't interesting because Craig Mazin had nothing interesting to say before.

No Ruska Romani who looks like John Wick would be considered anything but Caucasian and I doubt John Wick would be considered either Asian (Ruska Romanis don't even come from the Far East side of Asia) or Indian the same way Persians aren't. And again, you are too caught up in these minor details that don't matter because you're main point is pretty empty.

Todd Philips told Phoenix that he wanted to make a real film, not us. Maybe it was a way to get Pheonix (who doesn't like franchise films) to make a movie. And domestic terrorists are mentally ill, like the Joker. How does that make the movie dangerous? How do you know the movie will incite those people to do more domestic terrorism?

Most people haven't seen the movie to criticise the social commentary. Your point is that I am trying to trivialise critics but I'm not talking about critics who HAVE seen the film and neither is Philips. It's about people who haven't seen the film. Yes, there are people like Firepower who talk crap about people who have seen the film but Philips isn't talking about people who have seen the film. He's talking about people who haven't seen the film and are talking about how it it dangerous without even knowing how it works (ngl, those people sound a lot like yourself).

"Real" film or not, no movie comes with what Joker came with. Yeah, we got random people on Twitter talking about how The Irishman (a film that's more "real" than this) is a dangerous film. 

I don't hate this movie but you can keep insisting on that if you like. And Chernobyl at least looked interesting, it didn't look like an imitation of a miniseries we've seen before.  

So basically, you are saying Keanu looks white? Lol You are the only one caught up on it since you chose to highlight that one part of what I said about Phillips' recent comments.

You want to speculate that *maybe* Phillips didn't really mean that he wanted to make a real movie? Oh... 😂

I never said this movie is dangerous or will incite anyone. Stop projecting. The point is that a movie that share similarities to real life and wants to push some sort of social commentary will be critiqued differently than a movie like John Wick. 

I also never said you were trivializing critics. That was a general comment in response to another post. Not sure why you thought it was about you specifically.

Edited by Ororo Munroe

7 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

I don't hate this movie but you can keep insisting on that if you like. And Chernobyl at least looked interesting, it didn't look like an imitation of a miniseries we've seen before.  

You speak like you do hate this movie. TIL making homages means an imitation of other movies. 

So basically, you are saying Keanu looks white? Lol You are the only one caught up on it since you chose to highlight that one part of what I said about Phillips' recent comments.

What a weird whataboutism. Yeah, I talked about it because you brought it up in the first place. And yeah, John Wick does look white for a Ruska Romani. Is there a single East Asian Ruska Romani you know or heard of?

I never said this movie is dangerous or will incite anyone. Stop projecting. The point is that a movie that share similarities to real life and wants to push some sort of social commentary will be critiqued differently than a movie like John Wick. 

I never said you were trivializing critics. That was a general comment in response to another post. Not sure why you thought it was about you specifically.

But this was about Philips wasn't it? He wasn't trivialising critics. He was talking about people who haven't seen the movie yet and are calling the movie dangerous. WTF was even the point of your comment regarding Philips if you are talking about a completely different group of people. 

Edited by lorddemaxus

57 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Of course you would like to argue that context doesn't matter. Lol Yeah, doesn't matter that domestic terrorists resemble someone more like this Joker than John Wick. Fact is, when a movie aims for social commentary, it's going to be judged differently than your normal action movie, as it should be. This is what Phillips wanted...he wanted to make a "real movie" and so he should have been prepared for all that comes with that. 

So many fans were convinced that this was going to be some groundbreaking, game-changing movie... like nothing you've seen in the genre before! And now that it isn't getting universal praise, they can't handle it. They are doing their best to try trivialize even legitimate criticism and dismiss all critics, American critics anyway

Firstly, this is nothing that the CBM has seen before. To say otherwise is to be ignorant.

Secondly, why are we dismissing the American critics again? Clearly you understand the division between American and European critics on this film. Yet you only side with the American critics without bringing up the European ones who say this is an "interesting" film. That's makes everything your saying as worse than whatever you think supporters of this film are saying. You are ignoring a large portion of this film's critical response because you want all evidence that you cite to fit your narrative.

And don't now acknowledge that the European reviews are good but that this doesnt diminish your argument. You don't deserve an opinion if that is the case.

11 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

At that point, you're gonna have to consider Persians Indian too (and pretty much all of them are considered white

I don’t want to get sucked into whatever useless argument has enveloped the last pages, but I was skimming some posts and figured I’d mention that almost nobody would consider Persians white. I doubt that’s central to the main disagreement here, but it’s really not correct.

34 minutes ago, The Chad DC said:

Here you again. Wouldn't it be great if no one was following this film and then you could just say false and incorrect stuff without anyone calling you out on your BS?

If you actually read articles where these quotes originate from then you would realize that this is part of Joaquin's method acting. Do you know how intense it is to play the Joker? Isn't incredible that Joaquin has the self-awareness to walk out when he doesn't feel right? Why are you calling it unprofessional for an actor to walk out because he feels he needs to take a break?

Joaquin is one of the most respected actors in the industry. Stop making up BS.

Funny how there's so many actresses in the industry who are also great at their job that don't abuse their cast. Hell Heath Ledger didn't cause problems or pull stupid bullshit like Phoenix and Leto have become known for. Being an asshole "for teh artz" doesn't get you a pass for being an unprofessional shithead. People need to stop glorifilying unprofessional horseshit as being a deep savant.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

You speak like you do hate this movie. TIL making homages means an imitation of other movies. 

What a weird whataboutism. Yeah, I talked about it because you brought it up in the first place. And yeah, John Wick does look white for a Ruska Romani. Is there a single East Asian Ruska Romani you know or heard of?

But this was about Philips wasn't it? He wasn't trivialising critics. He was talking about people who haven't seen the movie yet and are calling the movie dangerous. WTF was even the point of your comment regarding Philips if you are talking about a completely different group of people. 

This is so dumb. No it's not whataboutism since you accused me of being caught up on it. You are the one insisting that John Wick is white. Keanu does not look white, nor does the movie confirm that Wick is white. 

I'm not sure if you really are this dense but my post about trivializing critics was about the fans. Read it again, carefully. My point about Phillips is about his inability to accept that his movie won't be viewed the same as a movie like John Wick. It's a dumb comparison that further proves that he should just stop talking. 

• ...wtf 1

7 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

I don’t want to get sucked into whatever useless argument has enveloped the last pages, but I was skimming some posts and figured I’d mention that almost nobody would consider Persians white. I doubt that’s central to the main disagreement here, but it’s really not correct.

i dunno bro looks pretty white to me.

1454589038-jake-gyllenhaal-prince-of-per

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

There are darker skinned Persians but they are Caucasian. They originate from the ancient Iranians who have the same traits that pretty much every Caucasian person has including skin colour. And Iranians are considered as white by the US government:

DEFINITION OF WHITE USED IN THE 2010 CENSUS According to OMB, “White” refers to a person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. The White racial category includes people who marked the “White” checkbox. It also includes respondents who reported entries such as Caucasian or White; European entries, such as Irish, German, and Polish; Middle Eastern entries, such as Arab, Lebanese, and Palestinian; and North African entries, such as Algerian, Moroccan, and Egyptian.

• Astonished 1

17 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

This is so dumb. No it's not whataboutism since you accused me of being caught up on it. You are the one insisting that John Wick is white. Keanu does not look white, nor does the movie confirm that Wick is white. 

But you were caught up on it. Also what race is he? Asian (as in the same part where Reeves originates from)? Because Ruska Romanis aren't Asian. They literally don't originate from East Asia.

I'm not sure if you really are this dense but my post about trivializing critics was about the fans. Read it again, carefully. My point about Phillips is about his inability to accept that his movie won't be viewed the same as a movie like John Wick. It's a dumb comparison that further proves that he should just stop talking. 

No, it wasn't about John Wick. It was about Joker not being viewed the same as any other movie that features violence. He talks about John Wick because that's a recent movie that glamorises violence. And he means viewed by people who HAVEN'T seen the movie. He is talking about the people who have called the movie dangerous without having seen the movie. You're entirely argument isn't a rebuttal to what Philips said. It has nothing to do with what he said.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1