Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

52 minutes ago, Zatt was right said:

I find their takes on the superhero genre harmless. With that said, I can’t really separate his shit takes on why he is an old white dude that can’t really take criticism on the lack of strong women on his films. I can see a pattern, and it’s bullshit.

Except he has a lot of films that have strong and/or complex female characters?

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

we can tell scorsese's not a feminist because he never had an epic girl power scene of all the ladies from his films teaming up to beat the bad guys.

that scene always gets the dudebros pressed.

that moment was as forced as Tony, Steve and Thor conveniently landing next to each other after the explosion so they can have an epic trio fight against Thanos yay!! 

Edited by RealLyre
word

11 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

my favorite moments in Taxi Driver was when he let his complex one dimensional female characters be reduced to sex objects who only exist to motivate Travis into not acting like a piece of shit. 

Edited by RealLyre

20 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

all of them are white and mostly supporting. it's laughable that you'd think this could pass as representation. 

What does white or not have to do with the statement ? I quoted and yes mostly supporting (most role will be), the comparison bar was with the Marvel Studio output.........

12 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I’ve seen most of Scorcese films. Complex? Maybe, sometimes. But strong? IDK about that. Stone and Robbie characters aren’t what I’d call strong. Let alone stuff from Departed or Gangs of New York.

4 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

my favorite moments in Taxi Driver was when he let his complex one dimensional female characters be reduced to sex objects who only exist to motivate Travis into not acting like a piece of shit. 

Would you say there is any MCU film worse than Taxi Driver?

51 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

you really like those old white men don't you? at least Marvel directors have some sort of diversity.

Also Martin Scorsese once signed a petition calling for the release of a convicted pedophile from prison, if you think those type of people's opinions should have more value on Hollywood issues over people who actually try to let people of color find jobs in Hollywood then you're probably part of the problem. 

Do you realize that all this has absolutely nothing to do with a quality of a movie, right?

Just now, Barnack said:

What does white or not have to do with the statement ? I quoted and yes mostly supporting (most role will be), the comparison bar was with the Marvel Studio output.........

yes because it was the default to have white men as the leads in most blockbusters for decades, Marvel Studios (& Disney :wub:) are at least trying to change that..

5 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Would you say there is any MCU film worse than Taxi Driver?

not really? plenty of the early ones were subpar but I'd say Captain Marvel and like half of Phase 3 (+GotG) are on par (if not better) than Taxi Driver (which despite how Scorsese treats his non-travis characters and his blatant racism in some scenes, it's the only Scorsese film that I liked (out of the ones I've seen)).

13 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Do you realize that all this has absolutely nothing to do with a quality of a movie, right?

yes but I wasn't talking about the quality of movies? there are more than enough great films with stereotypical casts. it wouldn't hurt to have some more great films with more diverse representation, and to try to claim that it isn't what real cinema is supposed to be only makes you sound pitiful.

I don't really have much of an investment in this whole "Marty vs. Marvel" saga but I do think his comments about how theaters have become overrun with "amusement park" movies is pretty funny. I'm gonna assume that he hasn't stepped foot in pretty much any U.S. multiplex theater that has opened since 1998 cause he would know that the overall difference between a theme park and a movie theater isn't nearly as divided as it used to be.

17 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

yes because it was the default to have white men as the leads in most blockbusters for decades, Marvel Studios (& Disney :wub:) are at least trying to change that..

I can guarantee to you that Disney and Marvel don’t give two shits about diversity.  Their films have diverse casts because they’ve learned it boosts ticket sales, and that’s the beginning and end of their reasoning.  Not saying that diversity isn’t good (it is, unequivocally), but it’s hard to praise them for it when their version of diversity is having an “exclusively gay moment” in Beauty and the Beast (hint: it’s barely there) or having the only explicitly gay character in a Marvel movie be the director casting himself in a one scene role that can easily be re-edited for China.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I don't really have much of an investment in this whole "Marty vs. Marvel" saga but I do think his comments about how theaters have become overrun with "amusement park" movies is pretty funny. I'm gonna assume that he hasn't stepped foot in pretty much any U.S. multiplex theater that has opened since 1998 cause he would know that the overall difference between a theme park and a movie theater isn't nearly as divided as it used to be.

i saw it on twitter yesterday and can't be bothered to find it but Kurosawa said the same goddamn thing about jurassic park in the 90s (sidebar: that must've stung spielberg, who's a big Kurosawa stan). it never changes.

the point is we're gonna see a lot of old man directors asked for marvel takes from lazy journalists because they know it'll grab them a day of discourse and outrage clicks. pray for Clint Eastwood on the richard jewell press tour.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

yes but I wasn't talking about the quality of movies? there are more than enough great films with stereotypical casts. it wouldn't hurt to have some more great films with more diverse representation, and to try to claim that it isn't what real cinema is supposed to be only makes you sound pitiful.

If movie's story requires more diversity/representation, then sure. If it doesn't, then why would it be there? That was the whole Marty's point if you read the actual article beyond its headline. Forced diversity for the sake of diversity is never a good thing and often cringe worthy.

14 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

I'd say Captain Marvel and like half of Phase 3 (+GotG) are on par (if not better) than Taxi Driver

I'm still waiting for a punchline...

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

the point is we're gonna see a lot of old man directors asked for marvel takes from lazy journalists because they know it'll grab them a day of discourse and outrage clicks. pray for Clint Eastwood on the richard jewell press tour.

Clint about to bring back that chair to pretend it's Marvel and give it a talk down.