Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

11 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Even if you love DC, and love those films, Nolan had final say, not DC. If you're going to discount Fox and Sony, then you can't turn a blind eye to that Dark Knight was Nolan's baby, not DC or WBs.

Not only Nolan's baby, the WB regime in power was different then.  The president then (Alan Horn who also oversaw the Potters and LOTR) is now the president for Disney and they lost other major players in the 2011-13 turnover.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Harpospoke said:

I know the Hulk is a big guy, but is he the "kitchen sink" all by himself?

It looks like Marvel is doing what I'd hoped they would do.   Use the characters.   Don't follow any rigid formula where there are "Avengers movies" and "solo movies".    Mix and match I say.   Keeps it fresh.

Well, it's not just the Hulk though. They also decided to sneak in a whole Hulk movie in the middle of this Thor movie, and from a storyline that's generally very well liked by the fans. I thought it was very smart of them to be honest since they just won't make a Hulk movie. There's also the whole cast, have you seen that? A lot of fan favorites(hi Karl Urban, hi Jeff Goldblum), a lot of stars(Cate :wub:) and so on. it just feels like they decided to try to make this movie an event as much as possible spurred on by JL. Just like Civil War turned out the way it did because of BVS...

I agree wholeheartedly with you about using their whole list of characters as much as possible, just like DCU is doing(:ph34r:). I like that.

Hot take: AOS is the only "good" Marvel/DC comic book show on TV right now.

Jessica Jones had a really good main storyline that was bogged down by shitty subplots.

The last few episodes of Daredevil were a fucking disgrace and might be some of the worst stuff in the MCU.

The most recent season of The Flash was trash.

The rest............ :redcapes: 

14 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Well, it's not just the Hulk though. They also decided to sneak in a whole Hulk movie in the middle of this Thor movie, and from a storyline that's generally very well liked by the fans. I thought it was very smart of them to be honest since they just won't make a Hulk movie. There's also the whole cast, have you seen that? A lot of fan favorites(hi Karl Urban, hi Jeff Goldblum), a lot of stars(Cate :wub:) and so on. it just feels like they decided to try to make this movie an event as much as possible spurred on by JL. Just like Civil War turned out the way it did because of BVS...

I agree wholeheartedly with you about using their whole list of characters as much as possible, just like DCU is doing(:ph34r:). I like that.

Marvel have been using great supporting casts with top notch actors form the first movies.  So much so there are complaints that some of them get wasted.  Jeff Bridges, Tommy Lee Jones, Anthony Hopkins, William Hurt, Stanley Tucci etc.  There's also been Robert Redford, Glenn Close, del Toro etc.   Hell, look at Dr. Strange's cast.

• Like 1

I love Marvel Ultimate Alliance because of the ridiculous amount of characters but I felt the X-Men games had the tighter stories. Either way, we need another RPG team up and soon.

Back to film for a second, if we are going to say "The Dark Knight trilogy is only Nolan and not WB"  or that the WB regime was different then, then we should also say that the DCEU is now different because Johns has creative control and not Snyder

• Like 2

• Community Manager
3 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

Comics - DC by a wide margin.

Based on what I've read in terms of reading up on Marvel vs. DC comics, it's a pity Marvel took what was working for them in the sixties/seventies (stories where the characters were allowed to develop, grounded in real time) was abandoned by the nineties and it basically became DC.

(Interesting read: http://zak-site.com/Great-American-Novel/marvel_time.html)

On TV: Arrow/The Flash/Legends of Tomorrow are good shows and all but they are starting to run into the same problem I think comics have: lack of real stakes. I feel like death doesn't matter anymore on those shows.

At least in the MCU, death still matters (Coulson not withstanding) even in it's TV shows.

10 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I love Marvel Ultimate Alliance because of the ridiculous amount of characters but I felt the X-Men games had the tighter stories. Either way, we need another RPG team up and soon.

Back to film for a second, if we are going to say "The Dark Knight trilogy is only Nolan and not WB"  or that the WB regime was different then, then we should also say that the DCEU is now different because Johns has creative control and not Snyder

X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse was such a good game, Gosh. By far the best Marvel game.

• Like 1

Speaking of death, looking back on it..  I really think they should have killed off Nick Fury in Winter Soldier. My theater was STUNNED but in a good way. In a way where everyone was like "damn that's sad, get 'em Cap!" but then Fury pops back up.  It didn't ruin the movie or anything but I'd like to see some more emotional weight added to these missions. Nobody cares about Quiksilver, unfortunately.

I think to make Thanos a legitimate threat he needs to drop some bodies.

• Like 1