kayumanggi

FIRST MAN | 10.12.18 | Universal | Damien Chazelle | Ryan Gosling | Neil Armstrong biopic

24 minutes ago, lilmac said:

https://deadline.com/2018/08/first-man-flag-controversy-damien-chazelle-response-1202455597/

Why am I not surprised. Hope there’s a boycott that depresses the boxoffice performance. Reminds me of the Man of Steel omission (truth, justice and...). A film showing one of the greatest feats of mankind and a stand-in for American exceptionalism. This is the kind of film that is red meat for us right wingers. ‘Oh they wouldn’t have seen this movie anyway’ is silly. 

If you're really that upset that a movie doesn't have a guy putting a flag in a giant space rock you want there to be a boycott, then you really need to get laid tbh

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Flag is a historical fact and the most iconic thing about moon landing telecast. who the fuck would be offended if the flag stayed in the movie? I can't with people's over sensitivity these days and rewriting history because of fad politics of the day. fuck this movie.

agree but i think the flags still in the movie, just the planting get's offscreened?

38 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Flag is a historical fact and the most iconic thing about moon landing telecast. who the fuck would be offended if the flag stayed in the movie? I can't with people's over sensitivity these days and rewriting history because of fad politics of the day. fuck this movie.

Planting the flag was a bit of a fumble and generally an awkward procedure. It's a fair enough cut if they want to focus on other aspects of the landing (which it sounds like they do, as @antovolk described, and he's actually seen the goddamn movie). Just watch the footage:

Unless you want then to actually rewrite history by making him plant the flag all lickety split or whatever, it seems totally logical to trim down that part of the moon landing. Not showing that one aspect isn't rewriting history, and I think at this stage that it's pretty clear that they do show the flag in the film considering how many people who have, y'know, seen it have said as much.

Anyway, Armstrong's speech is far and away the most iconic part of the landing. Not them putting a flag down. One small step for man and all that. Kinda rich of you to be getting all "fuck this movie" over a totally reasonable creative decision made by the filmmakers and then complaining about how oversensitive people are.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Or you coulda directed that energy into reading the past couple of pages of the thread where there are quotes from multiple people who've actually seen the movie about the actual reasons the planting isn't in it. Fuck your ignorance and your flaunting of it. 

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Or you coulda directed that energy into reading the past couple of pages of the thread where there are quotes from multiple people who've actually seen the movie about the actual reasons the planting isn't in it. Fuck your ignorance and your flaunting of it. 

Thank you Jake, you sum the last pages in one tiny (BUT HUGE IN MEANING) comment.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Frozen said:

No one is going to boycott it except right-wing snowflakes who would not have seen it to begin with.

You don't think right wing moviegoers would have been interested in this?  IMO, this would have been right in conservative's wheelhouse.

What would have kept them away?  Can't think of anything....except the intentional elimination of the iconic flag moment.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gamera said:

You don't think right wing moviegoers would have been interested in this?  IMO, this would have been right in conservative's wheelhouse.

What would have kept them away?  Can't think of anything....except the intentional elimination of the iconic flag moment.

Exactly, but you know Ryan Gosling is a stupid motherfucker. How he and the idiots who suggested it isn't flipping burgers at burger king is a crime.

Edited by diddykongracing128
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Gamera said:

I think Transformers and Marvel movies are more the kind of movie this audience likes.

19 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Russians do it better.

Hail Yuri.

i actually read a biography of Laika, the dog they shot into space, a few months ago. was actually pretty interesting. i'd see a laika movie. First Dog.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Wait who ever said they would be offended if the American flag was shown in a movie about the first moonlanding, who are you talking about ?

The "news" is about people offended that the flag planting was not featured in the movie, not about anyone is offended by the flag being present in the movie.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gamera said:

The movie is a drama and an action film aimed at a general audience. I’m sure they didn’t consider the feelings of conservative snowflakes when deciding  rather or not to have the flag planted or just in the background. 

3 hours ago, Gamera said:

Haven't seen this yet but I'm gonna guess that Damien Chazelle didn't set out to make a film pandering to the American Sniper crowd.

19 hours ago, diddykongracing128 said:

First Man cutting out the flag is absolutely stupid and just more evidence of Hollywood stupidly pandering to overseas. They won't give a shit about this. China won't get it since it isn't filled with Fast cars, explosions or big robots. They can't really process anything more complex than that. And Americans are going to boycott this. womp womp.

Woof

• Like 1