#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

So I am now in London Ontario. My brother is in line getting our tickets. He says the theater is busier than he has seen it in a long time. Granted he doesn't go to the movies nearly as much as I do but still for him to say that it's busy it's kind of funny. He also says the IMAX show that we were trying to see is sold out. Today is going to be a monster day for the movies.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

So depending upon the final splits - TFA's Fri-Sun (approx $190M) would be either third or fourth highest all time without incl previews. Either right in front of or right behind AOU.

You mean in front or right behind Ultron's weekend total including previews. Ultron was $163.5m without previews.

How can anyone think Avatar's DOM record is not toast? At this moment I simply cannot see a cume below 800M DOM. No way! Even dropping more than 50% during Christmas weekend, SW7 will be close to 500M... With a full Holiday week ahead.

And Star Wars films always have had solid late legs...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sagemode87 said:

I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but this movie doesn't deserve to beat Avatar. Unlike Star Wars, Avatar was built on pure word of mouth, almost no hype upon release. TFA is from a  franchise continuing from a 40 year legacy, hype was inevitable. What Avatar did is to be respected in my opinion. 

Who says nobody respects it?

yet, despite the fanbase you could argue Force Awakens had a brick wall to climb. It had to be great. It was under more scrutiny than perhaps any film in history. If it was disappointing it would not be predicted to be doing what it will probably do. In fact, the word would have been out earlier in the weekend and we would have already seen it slowing down. 

Nobody is saying Avatar wasn't good. It was. But it had the 3D factor that arguably worked in its favour as much as the 'Star Wars brand' worked for TFA in terms of attracting people to go and see it. 

It deserves this success as much as Avatar did. JJ delivered the impossible imo.