AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

What would be the point in hiding her away if she was already a skilled and trained Jedi? Couldn't she protect herself in that case? Don't disagree with you about Sydow's role though.

From her flashbacks it looks like she was around 5 years old when Luke had to left her, AFTER Ben Kenobi turned to the dark side by Snape's influence. Remember, jedis start training as younglings, Anakin was considered too old for jedi training and he was barely an 8 years old kid back then. I've a theory that before idolizing Darth Vader, Kylo probably loved his uncle to death, but was jealous that his daughter was more powerful than he was, and that was probably the thing that Snoke used to seduce him to the dark side: jealousy of a jedi more powerful than him, if not Luke, probably Rey herself. I don't even think that's her real name, and Ben probably thought that he had killed her when he attacked Luke's students. 

One could argue that Luke would never do that to his own child, but put youselves on his shoes for a second: a very powerful menace is hunting down jedis and just seduced a very powerful jedi to their cause, they killed all his students and is been probably hunted for around 15 years more or less. I think Luke's plan was to let her daughter grow up in a place away of the war, with no memories that she was a Skywalker for her own safety. She might think she was alone, but Max von Sydow's character was probably keeping her safe maybe without her even knowing it. 

• Like 3

I really wanted to like this but it felt flat to me. Some enjoyable moments but overall not the hype fest the critics are making it out to be. I was expecting to be blown away and have a lot of fun just based on what I heard and that inflated rotten tomatoes score.

It felt more like an Avengers film to me than a Star Wars film....well the 2nd Avengers film was a disappointment, Avengers 1 is still the best movie theater experience I've ever had.

Honestly I enjoyed JJ's last 2 Star Trek movies over this one.

I was also disappointed with the music. Even the prequels had better music IMO.

As far as rankings for me, ESB, ANH, ROTJ/ROTS and I would put this one over AOTC & TPM.

Things I loved: BB8 & Rey.

I can't get over how disappointed I am

[emoji19] [emoji20]

• Like 2

1 minute ago, iJackSparrow said:

From her flashbacks it looks like she was around 5 years old when Luke had to left her, AFTER Ben Kenobi turned to the dark side by Snape's influence. Remember, jedis start training as younglings, Anakin was considered too old for jedi training and he was barely an 8 years old kid back then. I've a theory that before idolizing Darth Vader, Kylo probably loved his uncle to death, but was jealous that his daughter was more powerful than he was, and that was probably the thing that Snoke used to seduce him to the dark side: jealousy of a jedi more powerful than him, if not Luke, probably Rey herself. I don't even think that's her real name, and Ben probably thought that he had killed her when he attacked Luke's students. 

One could argue that Luke would never do that to his own child, but put youselves on his shoes for a second: a very powerful menace is hunting down jedis and just seduced a very powerful jedi to their cause, they killed all his students and is been probably hunted for around 15 years more or less. I think Luke's plan was to let her daughter grow up in a place away of the war, with no memories that she was a Skywalker for her own safety. She might think she was alone, but Max von Sydow's character was probably keeping her safe maybe without her even knowing it. 

I like your theories, I can see them being very accurate. I forgot Jedi training started so young. So he may not have even needed to do much to make her forget things. Again, not like we remember a lot from 4 or 5. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

Because he doesn't want her involved in Jedi stuff anymore? Since he feels responsible for Ben Solo turning dark, killing all the students he was supposed to protect and hence ruining everyone's lives, I think he wanted his daughter kept away from both the force and himself. 

Actually I think it's sort of the other way around.

The beauty of Rey's arc in the film is that her quest went from waiting her whole life for her family to comeback only to realize when she got the lightsaber and by Maz advice that deep inside she already knows that her family won't be coming back for her, but Luke might be the answer she has been seeking her whole life. I think that when she was fighting with Kylo Ren and had a moment of clarity when he said that he could teach her the ways of the force, that's where she remembered that Luke IS her father. She is not there to be trained by him, she's there and probably very hurt and resentful of his father for leaving her behind like that. I do think that Luke wanted her to find him and that's why the map even exists, that's why he did a drastic measure like programming R2-D2 to only turn on again if Rey was around. But I don't think that Rey will accept the burden easily, I actually see that scene of her handing him his lightsaber like her saying that she doesn't want to be part of any of this. I actually think she will be the one reluctant to get training, not him to train her. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iJackSparrow said:

Actually I think it's sort of the other way around.

The beauty of Rey's arc in the film is that her quest went from waiting her whole life for her family to comeback only to realize when she got the lightsaber and by Maz advice that deep inside she already knows that her family won't be coming back for her, but Luke might be the answer she has been seeking her whole life. I think that when she was fighting with Kylo Ren and had a moment of clarity when he said that he could teach her the ways of the force, that's where she remembered that Luke IS her father. She is not there to be trained by him, she's there and probably very hurt and resentful of his father for leaving her behind like that. I do think that Luke wanted her to find him and that's why the map even exists, that's why he did a drastic measure like programming R2-D2 to only turn on again if Rey was around. But I don't think that Rey will accept the burden easily, I actually see that scene of her handing him his lightsaber like her saying that she doesn't want to be part of any of this. I actually think she will be the one reluctant to get training, not him to train her. 

In the least scene in the movie if look at Rey's eye and Luke's eye it looks like they both about to cry.  I doubt each would cry if they never met each other.

1 minute ago, Darth Dexter of Hoth said:

In the least scene in the movie if look at Rey's eye and Luke's eye it looks like they both about to cry.  I doubt each would cry if they never met each other.

Rey's expression looks like pain and anger for his father lefting her behind. She clearly has tears in her eyes, but it felt like she was handing him his lightsaber, which I thought it was very meaningful. It'll be very interesting to see how their relationship develops in Episode VIII and how many time will have passed between the two episodes.

This film made me want to start collecting Marvel's Star Wars comics REAL bad, since they are all now considered canon. But I'll have to wait a little bit because between Black Friday madness and Rolling Stones tickets and travelling to watch Star Wars in IMAX, I've spend more than I'd like to spend this month. Hopefully they'll make a promotion on their Marvel app eventually. 

12 hours ago, DMan7 said:

Ohhh man if only I had a dollar for everytime I heard someone say that about a character in a movie.

Yep.   I can't be the only person who has watched a lot of movies around here.   When a movie kills off an important character, they give it some extra weight to milk a few tears from the audience.    When a character dies off camera....most of the time that means they did not die.   This is not me making that up...that's how it works in movies.   I couldn't help noticing that we don't get a real good look at how Han was wounded and we never see him die.   And Han Solo of all characters is going to die off camera? 

Like I said, I've seen a lot of movies and that rings alarm bells for me.   Wouldn't they play Han's death scene up more than that if he's really going to die?

11 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Also, you're delusional if you still think Han is alive.

I should probably clarify in case it wasn't clear.   I'm not saying anything definite either way.   I'm pointing out the real details which usually accompany the "Gotcha!   He didn't die!" thing in movies.

If others are 100% convinced, that's fine...I'm leaving the option open personally.

The final scene is easily my favorite in the film, and possibly one of my all time favs in the franchise. Their looks to each other run the gamut of emotions in a matter of seconds and it made me a little teary eyed. However if she ends up not being Luke's that scene will lose most of its impact for me. It's so amazing because it feels like a father and daughter connecting on a profound level. I feel like when she sees him she instantly knows/remembers who he is. She just wants him to be proud of her as she presents him with his lightsaber, and he is overcome with pride with what she's already accomplished. Meanwhile, both are elated to even finally be having this reunion and seeing each other in the first place. The sweeping 360 spinning pan right afterwards is also glorious. 

Anyways,  that's what I got out of that scene but maybe I'm totally nuts. :lol:

• Like 4

Han coming back as a non-ghost after being stabbed by a lightsaber and falling thousands of feet would be really stupid.

But then, I'd never put it past blockbuster filmmakers to do something stupid.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2

Just now, Hatebox said:

Han coming back as a non-ghost after being stabbed by a lightsaber and falling thousands of feet would be really stupid.

He would come back with this.  Because thats where the cup fell.

HG01.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

It's happened a lot in movies...especially when it happens like it did with Han...which is why you won't put it past them.     ...Just like I won't.   ;) 

1 hour ago, Harpospoke said:

Yep.   I can't be the only person who has watched a lot of movies around here.   When a movie kills off an important character, they give it some extra weight to milk a few tears from the audience.    When a character dies off camera....most of the time that means they did not die.   This is not me making that up...that's how it works in movies.   I couldn't help noticing that we don't get a real good look at how Han was wounded and we never see him die.   And Han Solo of all characters is going to die off camera? 

Like I said, I've seen a lot of movies and that rings alarm bells for me.   Wouldn't they play Han's death scene up more than that if he's really going to die?

I should probably clarify in case it wasn't clear.   I'm not saying anything definite either way.   I'm pointing out the real details which usually accompany the "Gotcha!   He didn't die!" thing in movies.

If others are 100% convinced, that's fine...I'm leaving the option open personally.

He fell like 100 feet and is like 70 years old. If the saber didn't kill him then the fall broke his hips. He's dead Jim.

Also if he was still alive, he got left for dead on a planet weapon that...exploded.

Edited by eddyxx
  • Like 3

On 12/16/2015, 2:02:49, Darth Rallax said:

This is especially weird considering how much shit Marvel gets for not killing off any of their characters. 

People don't know what they want. If Marvel ever killed Tony or Steve the fans would go into a frenzy.