AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

Funny thing...Kylo actually did find out Luke's location when he was probing Rey's mind.  the island in the ocean.  He just doesn't know what that is.  Oh, Kylo, you messed up emo-child.

When in Rey's vision, Luke puts his hand on R-2...was that somehow triggering R-2 to wait for Rey before revealing he had the rest of the map?  It just seems like a lot was set up for Rey.  The ship making into the hands of the junk dealer, the piece of the map ending up on Jakku...I don't think all that is coincidence.  Han said if he could track the ship, others could as well.  There are just a lot of little hints in there, but maybe I'm reading too much into this.  I need to go hang out on Reddit for awhile where reading too much into things is what they do.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2015 at 2:41 AM, The Futurist said:

I think the flashback scenes have been shot already and will be in EP8 without Johnson's input in it.

Lots of things have already been decided IMO.

JJ, Kasdan, Kennedy,Johnson, the Lucasfilm Comitte laid out the story arcs for every important character for the current trilogy, so people shouldn't think too much about Johnson s involvement in this, this is not how a huge franchise like Star Wars works.

I actually like the theory going around that Rey is Obi-Wan's granddaughter. It would be less obvious than having her be Luke's son and the hint is already in the movie since they have the same accent and they had Ewan McGregor record the voice that says "Rey" during her lightsaber vision.

Edited by Darth Homer

ABrams wasn't involved with LOST after the pilot. 

Speaking of Artoo, there's an EW interview with Abrams, Kasdan, and Arndt talking about how/why he woke up, and the decision to hold off on his (and Luke's) reveal. 

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/20/jj-abrams-answers-burning-question-about-r2-d2-star-wars-force-awakens

• Like 8

• Community Manager
16 minutes ago, Darth Homer said:

Hopefully they do have an explanation for Rey acting like an already trained Jedi that will satisfy everyone. But then Lost was supposed to be planned out from the start and we know how that show turned out . . .

I actually like the theory going around that Rey is Obi-Wan's granddaughter. It would be less obvious than having her be Luke's son and the hint is already in the movie since they have the same accent and they had Ewan McGregor record the voice that says "Rey" during her lightsaber vision.

Lost worked out pretty well but I mean Abrams is wonderful at setting up stories and then leaving for other people to pick up the pieces.

Just now, Darth Water Bottle said:

Oh, that's interesting. I know everyone has jumped to the obvious conclusion that Rey is Luke's daughter. Makes sense, is probably right. I, on the other hand, will take the conclusion that she's secretly the Emperor's daughter we never knew he had (and why would we, it's not like we knew the Emperor's life in the OT).

Well I didn't say that she is the Emperor's daughter considering the time when  he died and she still alive.  However, bringing that up, she MAY be the Emperor's granddaughter or something.  Family members exiled or fleeing when Empire collapsed to escape persecution.

• Like 1

The contradiction here is that Rey was never trained in Jedi or Sith style of fighting.  Unless in the movie that person's arm that dragged her away trained her, but I don't think he was a Sith or anything like that to know how to fight.  Unless she learned how to fight from that stranger with a staff.  Still have many questions to answer on that.

Just now, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Pretty sure the person holding her hand/arm in the flashback was Lor San Tekka (Max Von Sydow's character).

Thats an interesting theory.  You could be right.  Just weird to see her living by herself and feeling abandoned scavenging for survival.

Just now, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Pretty sure the person holding her hand/arm in the flashback was Lor San Tekka (Max Von Sydow's character).

Could be reference to Obi Wan watching Luke.  This old character watching Rey.  Obi Wan never did teach Luke while growing up.  Only after they were fleeing.  And in the beginning credits they did say old ally.

1 hour ago, sabrecmc said:

Funny thing...Kylo actually did find out Luke's location when he was probing Rey's mind.  the island in the ocean.  He just doesn't know what that is.  Oh, Kylo, you messed up emo-child.

When in Rey's vision, Luke puts his hand on R-2...was that somehow triggering R-2 to wait for Rey before revealing he had the rest of the map?  It just seems like a lot was set up for Rey.  The ship making into the hands of the junk dealer, the piece of the map ending up on Jakku...I don't think all that is coincidence.  Han said if he could track the ship, others could as well.  There are just a lot of little hints in there, but maybe I'm reading too much into this.  I need to go hang out on Reddit for awhile where reading too much into things is what they do.

I am thinking Luke sold to the junk yard or owned it. The guy that works there could have been fooled in thinking it was there for the first order. 

• Like 1

star-wars-7-the-force-awakens-drew-struz

GRADE = B+ (4/5 STARS)

Wow, that was intense. The sequel I waited for over 30 years and I enjoyed the movie because I went in with guarded expectations. Yes it’s basically a soft reboot/remix of the Original Trilogy. It basically takes the story beat for beat from “A New Hope” storyline. There were also homages and shots from “Empire” and “Jedi” in it as well. I thought it did what it needed to do. Reintroduced Star Wars to the next generation as the original Trilogy and Prequels did for their respective generations. As the movie went along I kept going, “OK, Where’s Luke”. But the movie focused on his search, (Search for Spock?, lol). The entire story was about finding him as explained in the crawl. Based on the last shot of the film, Daisy/Rey is most likely Luke’s daughter, I mean his look completely gave it away. Han and Leia knew who she was but they had to play along for her saftey. This is why Han playfully offered her a Job. A theory could basically be Luke hid her on Jakku so that Kylo and the First Order wouldn’t find her. Basically Luke did for her what Obi and Yoda did for him and Leia. So 30 years later, the Force is still trying to grow but the Darkside has risen and Luke building his new Jedi Order was ambushed. There is an imbalance in the Force based on Kylo aka Ben Solo turning Dark. Like Yoda before him Luke goes into Exile. “The Force Awakens” in his child, Anakin's Grandchild so that balance can be restored again. Her coming to give him the lightsaber was the Force’s way to let Luke know the fight must continue.

I thought Finn argueably had the best story arc of the entire new cast even though his ending was on some Neo “Matrix Reloaded” sh!t. Outside of that I thought he was a very good character. Stormtroopers have been clones and then they were regular recruits. But with Finn we see something completely different to go inside the mind of Stormtrooper. He was kidnapped as a child. The Jedi also take childern very young. Now if you looked at all the symbolisms the debate even after the movie is wither Finn is force sensitive. In My opinion there was clues he was. Stormtroopers don’t have a conscience. Kylo sensed Finn’s awakening to the Force when he didn’t want to kill at the village. Finn also was able to adapt very quickly to certain things as the movie went along. No way Finn gets that hit on Kylo and sticks with him with the saber in that battle if he wasn’t force sensitive. I just think he needs to be trained. With Luke academy being destoryed, he will need new students. As for him being in a coma, I believe that is also may be proof of his force sensitivity. A regular human would of died after that Kylo strike to the back. I feel the title deals with Rey and Finn awakening in different ways. As well as Kylo turn to the Darkside.

I thought John did good in the role. Him and Han seemed to have the best lines that got the most response from the crowds. Sure he had humor but it wasn’t too goofy and it actually made me feel he had the best chemistry with the rest of the cast. As for the bait and switch with Rey and the lightsaber, not surprised because she’s most likely a Skywalker. Unless Finn is related to a Skywalkers/Solo’s there is no way he would be the main character from the “Episodes”. This is “The Skywalker Saga”, that’s not going to change. There’s no way Rey isn’t Anakin’s Granddaughter. There’s symbolism with her getting and using the Saber to stop Ben Solo aka Kylo.  Basically it was a battle of the Skywalker Grandchildern.  Also when she had the flashback “Vision” after touching the Saber. You heard Luke, Obi and Yoda’s voices. That’s a clear sign that she’s a Skywalker. There’s an outside chance she’s Obi’s relative but I doubt it. In all Star Wars films it’s a “GROUP” of heroes not one person. Rey, Finn and Poe are the new Big 3. There is a chance he’s going to eventually become her love interest. At first they were playful like friends but that bond turned into Love as the movie went along. I think their relationship develops further in the future films. But he started out scared but as the film went on he showed his courage going up against Vader’s grandson and even getting a huge hit on him.

[IMG]

Han, Han, Han. Well Harrison finally got want he wanted. He wanted Han to originally die in "Jedi" but George said no, lol. You kinda knew it was coming as he started to walk on the bridge. Also when he said “Ben”, that’s exactly what Luke said right before Obi was killed by Vader in “Hope”. Of course showing the light turn to Dark was symbolisim. I did enjoy the homages to the original trilogy as well as the EU with Han and Leia’s son turning Darkside just like Jaycon Solo did (Luke’s son in the EU was named Ben Skywalker). Han’s Death was tough but again you kinda saw it coming as soon as he got to the bridge (Homage to Empire Strikes Back with Vader and Luke as well). Han Solo took on the mentor role of this film. This was basically his movie. Luke will mentor in Episode VIII. Kylo killing Han is the opposite of Luke redeeming Vader. Thus the light turning dark. JJ really did a great job of tying everything into Lucas story. Well with Kasden help, I’m sure that’s why. Kylo/Adam Driver did very well playing Vader’s grandson (SKYwalker SoLO). Dare I say his performance was what Hayden’s in the Prequels should have been with Vader Character. He felt he’s the crown prince of the Force.

Snoke manipulated him ala Palpatine and Vader which cause him to turn on Luke and destroy his new Jedi Order. That’s when I’m guessing Rey had to be hid, she must have been very young. Kylo was a spoiled brat just like Anakin was. He felt entitled. Him turning Darkside clearly messed up Han and Leia’s relationship. Han even said to Leia, “He has that Vader in him”. Luke like Yoda before him went into exile when he failed his newphew Young Ben Solo and the new Jedi Order that was destroyed. As for Force power levels. Both Kylo and Rey were basically still learning. Kylo was obviously further ahead than Rey was. Poe was cool as the cocky pilot, it felt like he fit right into the universe. But he disappeared for awhile and popped back up, lol. Action solid, Adventure was great. It hit all the right notes overall. The First Order was again just The Empire Remix. It’s just a splintered group that has roots from the Empire. They even built “Starkiller” aka Death Star III. 

[IMG]

The issues I had was Captain Phasma were completely underused which makes me wonder will her part expand in future films. But they hyped her up but she didn’t really do much to me. Did she fire any shots? I mean I thought she was going to be ruthless. I liked Lupita character but I thought she was going to be in it a little longer. They wasted “The Raid” Guys on the Han Freight Ship scene but I’m happy they got shine being in the film. General Hux was basically another Tarkin from “A New Hope” just younger. Snoke aka The New Emperor was cool once you found it was a projection and he wasn’t that big, lol. Could he be Plagiesus? We will see. It seemed The Starkiller Base aka Death Star III blew up way to easily at the end. Knights of Ren we only got a flashback when I think they should of shown Luke Jedi Order Massacre. Several new planets were introduced but All the enviroments used in the movie were call backs to previous planets from the original trilogy. It was definitely a shock ending. I waited 30 years to see Luke 30 seconds, lol.  But I wasn't upset because artistically it worked. It made Luke like he was litterally a God-like figure of the Force. And he is being the only Son of Anakin. So overall the Luke on the mountain top ending actually worked to me. I was mad not seeing Luke at all but that look on his face said so much without saying anything.

BB-8 was like R2’s little brother, liked him a lot. R2 part seemed to come in very conviently but it was great seeing him and 3PO again acting up. Leia part was short but it did the job, you can tell her son turning Dark took a toll on her. It was cool seeing her in the attack room making plans on the new Death Star. Throwback to "Hope, Empire and Jedi" with scene. I liked the new characters a lot. I just thought they all fit well in theStar Wars world. Overall I give it about a B+ grade, 4/5. Leaving the movie though I have to admit that I gained more respect for Lucas. He could of easily rehashed the original films forever but he chose to take some risk and make different Star Wars films with the prequels even if the execution wasn’t the best. JJ did a great job and I give him two very big thumbs up. He didn’t reinvent the wheel, he just recreated Lucas’s world for modern audiences. This film JJ did a Love Letter to George Lucas just like he did a Spielberg Love letter with “Super 8”.

So I can't say “Episode VII” really brings anything that new to the table creatively. Most of the themes and storylines did in fact draw from the “Extended Universe” afterall. If you’ve been a fan of the franchise than you knew the Nostalgia was all over the place in this film. Basically JJ pulled a “Jurassic World” which brought us back to the feeling of the originals while introducing new characters to the universe. I mean JJ even re-did actual scenes from the original trilogy. Reguardless of that The film works and the flaws don’t ruin overall. I'd say he still knocked it out of the park being the first Director since George 10 years after "Sith". Millions of people just entered the fanbase from this film. I was also pleased to see my friends who aren't as big of Star Wars fans saying they will buy all the films after seeing this. Overall as a lifelong Star Wars fan, it did what it needed to do. So Props to JJ and Kathleen for keeping the legacy going with this transistion. Also props to Disney for letting Lucasfilm do the film they wanted to do. It's early for ranking but from first viewing I definitely don’t put it above the original trilogy. Right now I feel it’s better than Prequels though I need to see it again cause “Revenge of the Sith” is right there. 

[IMG]

I also loved the Score.   Not any "Duel of Fates" type themes but still some good themes.  Loved the last theme:

• Like 3

8 hours ago, eddyxx said:

Something I just thought about but I don't know why it happened in the film. During the battle against Finn, Kylo keeps pounding on his chest. Why?

This is what I was thinking about every time he did it.

wolf-of-wall-street-matthew-mcconaughey-

So, if you're injured and possibly about to pass out, one thing you can do is hit the wound. It's not healthy, but the shock of the pain will probably keep you from passing out. That's what I figured he was doing. Temporary recharge, in hopes that he wins and then gets to some medical help.

3 hours ago, Salacious Tree Crumb said:

Poe is Han, Finn is Leia, Rey is Luke, Luke is Finn, Poe is Leia, Rey is Han, Leia is Han, and Luke is Poe. Glad we got that all cleared up.

Yeah, it really felt like they had batons of the OT characters and were passing them off between scenes. "Okay, right now I'm Leia and you're Luke, but in the next scene, I'll be Han, and you be Leia."

Putting aside the issues of Rey being able to match it in a lightsaber duel with Kylo (which for the record, I feel is plausible), My God did I love the light sabre battles in this one. The Prequels just felt like choreographed dancing while TFA just felt so much more....brutal.

This

tumblr_mva3m3yQNg1sjzbuao1_400.gif 

Vs

ForceAwakens1.gif

So much more brutal, More emotional, more engaging, more betterererer.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, eddyxx said:

He fell like 100 feet and is like 70 years old. If the saber didn't kill him then the fall broke his hips. He's dead Jim.

Also if he was still alive, he got left for dead on a planet weapon that...exploded.

Once again I'm getting the feeling I'm the only person who has seen a lot of movies here.   Overcoming impossible odds to cheat death is a staple of movie making.     If a character dies off camera, the red flag should automatically go up if you have seen a lot of movies.

8 hours ago, Baumer Fett said:

Han is dead.  Ford won't play him again and this isn't James Bond.  No one can play Solo but Ford.

That should be the main point.   If Ford doesn't want to play him any more, he's dead.   Citing the stuff in the movie is not convincing at all.

24 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

Once again I'm getting the feeling I'm the only person who has seen a lot of movies here.   Overcoming impossible odds to cheat death is a staple of movie making.     If a character dies off camera, the red flag should automatically go up if you have seen a lot of movies.

Citing the stuff in the movie is not convincing at all.

Okay, I was just assuming you were kinda joking earlier, but I can see you are for reals with this.

Han took a lightsaber to the gut, fell down a pit and then the PLANET BLEW UP.

I totally understand the basics of, "if you don't see them die, they didn't really die" but come on, you see him take the lightsaber to the gut. Has anyone in the 6 previous movies survived an injury like that? 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Darth Rallax said:

Okay, I was just assuming you were kinda joking earlier, but I can see you are for reals with this.

Han took a lightsaber to the gut, fell down a pit and then the PLANET BLEW UP.

I totally understand the basics of, "if you don't see them die, they didn't really die" but come on, you see him take the lightsaber to the gut. Has anyone in the 6 previous movies survived an injury like that? 

I guess I'm the only one who has seen this happen countless times in countless movies.    I mean....we even had Poe "die off camera" in this same movie.  I have to assume everyone is emotionally attached to the sadness of seeing Han "die" at this point and are being willfully blind to the red flags we've all seen many times before.

3 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Han Solo is dead. Harrison Ford killed him. 

That one I'll buy.   If Ford really doesn't want to play him, Han will stay "dead".

I think they had him "die" off camera to leave the option open if Ford could be convinced to come back.