WrathOfHan

DEADPOOL WEEKEND THREAD | Deadpool 152.193 actual. Daily breakdown on page 159

I thought it could go to $45m yesterday, but people thought that I was crazy for saying $40m. But this is bigger than I've ever imagined, this is almost $50m first day. I don't think Fox will go stupid and make everything rated R when it comes to the X-Men franchise, but I do think that Bryan Singer has his name on a golden ticket, and the X-Men franchise just got reborn with Deadpool. After Apocalypse fails, hopefully they'll just go with the X-Men from Deadpool's timeline and call it a day. 

American Sniper was more shocking than this, but this is still pretty damn shocking. Audiences are extremely unpredictable with how receptive they are to meta-humor and we've seen similar kinds of internet-fanboy driven films disappoint at the box office, as well as other R-rated superhero films. If you expected it to break out you were thinking purely with your heart.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Question parents' judgment if you must, but I'd still rather they leave the final decision to them rather than what the MPAA deems "acceptable", since every child is different.

There is nothing wrong with having MPAA ratings, but their system of judgement is a bit messed up. Apparently all you have to do get an R rating is having repeated uses of the word "fuck." So point your finger at their judgement from time to time. Not the entire organization.

And it's gotten even nuttier with television. It boggles the mind how 2 Broke Girls is able to air at 8:30 on CBS when that show drops an average of like 3 rape jokes per episode.

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

American Sniper was more shocking than this, but this is still pretty damn shocking. Audiences are extremely unpredictable with how receptive they are to meta-humor and we've seen similar kinds of internet-fanboy driven films disappoint at the box office, as well as other R-rated superhero films. If you expected it to break out you were thinking purely with your heart.

I think I had oddly thought this was going to break records starting this past Sunday.

• Like 1

Might I be the only person who thinks that this weekend doesn't forever change Box Office outlook? I mean, Deadpool doesn't mean we are entering some new golden age of comic book movies; we're already in the middle of one. I also don't think it means much more to the R rating than a new record.

If there's one thing that Deadpool will drastically change, it's that studios will realize that to create a break out successful comic book movie, they need "something different". Deadpool has showed us this. Guardians showed us this, even Winter Soldier to a slight extent. Heck, TASM2 showed that audiences don't want more of the same.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Jessie said:

Nah, american sniper was much more shocking than this, it made 89m dollars and I doubt anyone predicted over half that.

WEEELLLL.... I completely get you there, and I do agree that AS's are probably more shocking at the end of the day, but I can make a few arguments for DP being in ever lesser circumstances here. AS's star, Bradley Cooper, had come off of a ton of big hits throughout the years, like Guardians Of The Galaxy (yeah he didn't show his face, but everybody knows he played Rocket Raccoon), The Hangover trilogy and American Hustle. Although I'm not American, I am aware of the Chris Kyle story (not even thanks to the movie), and I'm pretty sure that Kyle was a bigger deal for the American people than Deadpool. And it also helped that the Oscar nominations dropped on the week of AS's wide release, which busted out a strong slate of noms for the movie, including Best Actor for Cooper and Best Picture. And yeah, Oscar buzz never really pushed movies THAT much, but it still helps. Plus, the almost non existant competition only benefitted.

Deadpool's main star, Ryan Reynolds, came off a ton of flops, including a few major ones within the comic book genre like Green Lantern. He played the role before in the abomination known as X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and he did a good job acting wise, but what was done w/character was too much for anything Deadpool from Fox to be 100% trusted at any point, whereas I think that anybody could trust Clint Eastwood for anything ever. Not to mention that DP was seen as a rather not too known comic book character, and the grass humor could prove too much for non-die hard fans to enjoy. On top of that, Deadpool DID have on-paper competition in Zoolander 2, the sequel to a much well liked box office success of a comedy. And while you could make an argument for The Wedding Ringer, it's not quite the same as a sequel to arguably one of the most beloved comedies of the 2000s.

I'm just saying: there are arguments for Deadpool being in the same area of shock as American Sniper. AS is probably still the bigger sleeper, no doubt, but let's not forget that that still didn't open w/over $100M.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Might I be the only person who thinks that this weekend doesn't forever change Box Office outlook? I mean, Deadpool doesn't mean we are entering some new golden age of comic book movies; we're already in the middle of one. I also don't think it means much more to the R rating than a new record.

If there's one thing that Deadpool will drastically change, it's that studios will realize that to create a break out successful comic book movie, they need "something different". Deadpool has showed us this. Guardians showed us this, even Winter Soldier to a slight extent. Heck, TASM2 showed that audiences don't want more of the same.

Agree with all of this.

• Like 1

Having seen sometime try to show Terminator 2 to their 8 year old I think I understand why the MPAA cares about profanity more than we wished they did. It's about the ability to imitate and if the kid repeats that at school or to other kids it embarrasses their parents.

The solution I suppose would be to stop caring so much when kids swear but that's not going to happen anytime soon

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I wouldn't be so sure. The marketing and buzz for this has been out of this world prior to release, along with the fact we're seeing more quirky comic properties break out. Deadpool came at the right place at the right time. The meta humor towards comicbook films is more receptive due to the domination of comicbook films. Deadpool himself was nowhere near as niche as people made him out to be. The character has been gaining more and more prominence over the years. Before this film, I think people could make a case he was more popular than the Xmen themselves. After this weekend, it looks even more clear. 

Perhaos some of us were driven to think this big with our hearts, but I think one could have made a strong case for this on an objective level.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

Having seen sometime try to show Terminator 2 to their 8 year old I think I understand why the MPAA cares about profanity more than we wished they did. It's about the ability to imitate and if the kid repeats that at school or to other kids it embarrasses their parents.

The solution I suppose would be to stop caring so much when kids swear but that's not going to happen anytime soon

I saw Terminator 2 when I was six. Whats wrong with that?

• Like 1

I would show a kid Terminator 2 but I wouldn't show him Deadpool. Its probably my American puritan roots but

Spoiler

there is like a 5 minute montage sex scene in the movie that is just not appropriate for children

4 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I saw Terminator 2 when I was six. Whats wrong with that?

Can't speak for your parents, but generally they don't want their kids saying bad words in public. I assume that's the MPAA's justification anyway.

Of course there's also the moments of brutal violence but that can more easily be fast-forwarded through or eye-shielded.

Edited by tribefan695

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

Can't speak for your parents, but generally they don't want their kids saying bad words in public. I assume that's the MPAA's justification anyway.

Of course there's also the moments of brutal violence but that can more easily be fast-forwarded through or eye-shielded.

I watched all of Arnold's movies as a kid in the early 90s and never ever sweared. Thats more on the parents then the movie. If you're a kid, you're going to hear swear words every day if not from movies than from other kids in school who have worst parents than you do.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TrendyWiz7 said:

I wouldn't be so sure. The marketing and buzz for this has been out of this world prior to release, along with the fact we're seeing more quirky comic properties break out. Deadpool came at the right place at the right time. The meta humor towards comicbook films is more receptive due to the domination of comicbook films. Deadpool himself was nowhere near as niche as people made him out to be. The character has been gaining more and more prominence over the years. Before this film, I think people could make a case he was more popular than the Xmen themselves. After this weekend, it looks even more clear. 

Perhaos some of us were driven to think this big with our hearts, but I think one could have made a strong case for this on an objective level.

Over the last year CB films really hadn't done that great. Avengers disappointed at the box office and while Ant-Man had decent legs it was still the lowest-grossing Marvel film in some time. And then of course there was Fantastic Four...

All the things you're saying about Deadpool make sense in hindsight, but before at least the start of reviews coming in it still looked like a studio desperately trying to make something out of a side character to hedge their bets on their main franchise

4 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Deadpool 2 will drop by 60%.

No more Green Lantern jokes, no more X men Jokes, no more meta Jokes about Reynolds' career.

It was fun while it lasted.

Still a win.   Magic happens so rarely in film.   700-ish movies a year and almost none of them are magical.    DP doing it once is a lot better than most movies which do it zero times.

4 hours ago, MrPink said:

Time for Apocalypse to do some reshoots. Or digitally insert Deadpool into every scene.

DZHPeVe.gif

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

What makes Zoolander's numbers even sadder is that half of it's OW is probably from teenagers sneaking into Deadpool.

:D

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

There is nothing wrong with having MPAA ratings, but their system of judgement is a bit messed up. Apparently all you have to do get an R rating is having repeated uses of the word "fuck." So point your finger at their judgement from time to time. Not the entire organization.

That is kinda silly.    Supposedly you can say "fuck" a certain number of times...any more than that and it gets bumped up in rating.    O...kay....   Once or twice is ok for kids to hear?

5 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I watched all of Arnold's movies as a kid in the early 90s and never ever sweared. Thats more on the parents then the movie. If you're a kid, you're going to hear swear words every day if not from movies than from other kids in school who have worst parents than you do.

Well, like I said, every child is different. I don't know how much truth there is to kids picking up swear words from movies but that's how the American public perceives it and that's what the MPAA bases their ratings on.

• Like 1