Olive

Presales Tracking Thread(Maoyan, Taopiaopiao etc)

6 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

What is the local talk about Hobbs and Shaw? Will it break out like main line Furious movies?

Interest seems a lot lower than for the main films on Maoyan, and Vin Diesel's exclusion from this film will turn off some fans of the franchise. I'm guessing it will still perform very well for a spin-off but won't come anywhere close to the heights of F7 and F8. Likely a similar drop off that Bumblebee experienced from the peak of the Transformers films. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Detective Pikachu (10 days out)

Midnight - 168k

OD - 1.5m (+11.11%)  (18579 shows)

Sat - 489k

Sun - 345k

Hmm I dont know if it is a glitch or not but Sat/Sun PS did not move whatsoever from yesterday. But then again OD and Midnight PS moved so it must not have been a glitch? I think the likely reason is that no new Sat/Sun shows have been added and people are waiting for the new shows.

OD PS of some other movies

MI6             - 4.76 (36296 shows) (Final PS 48.69)

Bumblebee - 3.10 (41354 shows) (Final PS 27?)

SMH            - 1.857 (Final PS 36)

Alita             - 1.20 (13901 shows) (Final PS 33.5)

At this point I don't see the final PS exceeding high 20's to mid 30's. But it is still too early so I could be wrong. I thought Monday onwards PS would pop but nothing so far due to no significant increase in show count. Maybe the holidays and Endgame is still sucking all the attention. In which case we would see big increases over the last 4-5 days. 

Detective Pikachu (9 days out)

Midnight - 209k

OD - 1.8m (+20%)  (20814 shows)

Sat - 556k

Sun - 372k

Can’t post comparisons as I am on mobile. But no pop today either. I must say that the presales for the other days look somewhat weaker than some recent movies I have seen, but again no numbers on my mobile. 

I doubt we will see any acceleration for tomorrow and maybe the day after either. They are holidays and Endgame is still doing bonker presales and business. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, ZeeSoh said:

Midnight - 209k

Sat - 556k

Sun - 372k

Can’t post comparisons as I am on mobile. But no pop today either. I must say that the presales for the other days look somewhat weaker than some recent movies I have seen, but again no numbers on my mobile. 

I doubt we will see any acceleration for tomorrow and maybe the day after either. They are holidays and Endgame is still doing bonker presales and business. 

Thanks bro for the updates. Can’t give a reaction because I ran out of it today just wanted to say I appreciate you’re work 

On 4/30/2019 at 9:51 PM, ZeeSoh said:

Midnight - 209k

Sat - 556k

Sun - 372k

Detective Pikachu (8 days out)

Midnight - 209k

OD - 2.11m (+17.2%)  (20814 shows)

Sat - 556k

Sun - 372k

From the table below DP is close to Alita and Shazam in nearly every count. Alita finished with 33m in presales and Shazam finished at 24.5m in PS. If DP follows Alita, it will land at 35m+ PS and 30s if it follows Shazam. That seems good enough if your expectations are 100-125m in final gross but if expectations are close to 250-300m then it should be doing better. Now the low PS does not necessarily mean a low OW and a low gross. Aquaman for instance ended its PS run at 35m and went on to do nearly 100m in OW and 300m in final gross. So if DP manages such high ratings then it too can go that high. But Aquaman was more the exception than the norm. Norm would suggest a 50-60m opening weekend and 100-130m final total.

OD PS

Midnight PS

Sat PS

Sun PS

Show Count

Day of presale

MI6

6.5m

2.17m

1.31m

14th day

Ant Man 2

4.09m

1.69m

1.26m

7th day

Bumblebee

3.6m

1.87m

1.41m

17th day

SMH

3.0m

-

-

-

-

7h day

Alita

2.48m

1.08m

11th day

DP2

2.11m

11th day

Shazam

1.2m

3nd day

@Minnale101 @HouseOfTheSun I made a mistake comparing 8 day prior PS of DP to 9 day prior PS of other movies that i have corrected now. Looking at the correct data now shows that DP is lagging behind most of these movies in show count as well as PS for Sat/Sun/Midnight. It needs to pick up its pace. 

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Aquaman looked much more like a spectacle than DP does before it released

Aqua man didn’t start pre sales during the biggest Hollywood movie ever in China. 

I think there is still endgame effect right with holidays. I think it did 75 million Yesterday in China Labor Day 

with reviews dropping Friday morning China time. 

From friday onwards it should start really picking up 

Edited by Minnale101

1 minute ago, Minnale101 said:

Aqua man didn’t start pre sales during the biggest Hollywood movie ever in China. 

I think there is still endgame effect right with holidays. I think it did 75 million Yesterday in China Labor Day 

with reviews dropping Friday morning China time. 

From friday onwards it should start really picking up 

It will start picking up pretty much equal to most movies percentage wise when reviews drop and the movie nears. Spikes are normal. But it is starting at a relatively low base compared to what many expected. I think 130m is absolutely great for the movie in China but many will be disappointed by it if it doesn’t go to 250-300

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Detective Pikachu (8 days out)

Midnight - 209k

Sat - 556k

Sun - 372k

These are the Day -09 numbers, think you forgot to paste new ones?

3 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

It will start picking up pretty much equal to most movies percentage wise when reviews drop and the movie nears. Spikes are normal. But it is starting at a relatively low base compared to what many expected. I think 130m is absolutely great for the movie in China but many will be disappointed by it if it doesn’t go to 250-300

There were people in the detective pikachu thread saying movie would do 400-500 million WW total  last week after the endgame gigantic opening 

250-300 million just in China Would be insanity. 

It would have to get really good rating and long legs 

I think it's important to keep expectations in check. And not go over board which is what we are doing before. Would it be great if Pikachu did $200-$250M? Yes absolutely. But right now, its presales are not looking like its going to do that and trying to come up with different scenarios won't change what its presales are. The only thing to hope for is that it can get solid WOM and find a way to do $100M+ in China. If it can do that, it would be solid. 

Not every movie can be Venom and Aquaman. 

Lets just hope it isnt another Shazam! in china (or everywhere else for that matter :ph34r:)

Edited by Nova

I think this is just a case of unrealistic expectations. +100m like an average blockbuster is good for Pikachu, with an outside shot at +150-180m if it breaks out like some of the biggest HW movies.

No reason to expect an Aquaman/Venom breakout because they weren't expected either lol.