CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

BvS should've been a event that EVERYONE has to see. Instead it's a ok film that maybe you should see in a matinee or wait for Redbox.

Also it's not worth rewatching unless you were so confused by the plotting and character motivations that you need to see it again to figure out what you missed but not in a inception way where you know it's this genius film.

Edited by eddyxx
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, iJackSparrow said:

A well received BvS would gross to $200m+. Hell, it'd make more money than anything but TFA domestically, it could even beat that WW. Not sure how this is even up for debate.

giphy.gif

tumblr_mawgwijzr71qh1g19o1_500.gif

BvS could have won 10 Oscars and it still wouldn't have made even 70% of what TFA made WW. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, eddyxx said:

BvS should've been a event that EVERYONE has to see. Instead it's a ok film that maybe you should see ina matinee or wait for Redbox.

You think a movie opening with 170M (give or take 1-2M) isn't an event? Oh boy.

• Like 1

Just now, CJohn said:

I don't agree. I think with good reviews it would have reached 180-185M OW but it wouldn't have touched 200M. It is just my opinion, of course.

You talk about good reviews like an isolated event, and it isn't how it works imho. Good reviews for an even film like this, especially when it has to prove something like this one had after MoS mixed reception don't start in the same weekend the film is released. It starts with early tweets from credible sources that turn into articles that turns into rumors of how great the film is at least one month before the film it's released. The positivity for a film with positive reviews usually start long before the film is even released, provoking a tide of positivity endorsed by positive reviews, which generates more good will, more people willing to check it out and multiple viewings. BvS could be that. It isn't.

1 minute ago, iJackSparrow said:

You talk about good reviews like an isolated event, and it isn't how it works imho. Good reviews for an even film like this, especially when it has to prove something like this one had after MoS mixed reception don't start in the same weekend the film is released. It starts with early tweets from credible sources that turn into articles that turns into rumors of how great the film is at least one month before the film it's released. The positivity for a film with positive reviews usually start long before the film is even released, provoking a tide of positivity endorsed by positive reviews, which generates more good will, more people willing to check it out and multiple viewings. BvS could be that. It isn't.

I don't agree. That is all I have to say. At most it would have done 180-185M. 

Wait, folks here aren't convinced that Rogue One is by far the most legitimate contender at 200M OW in the 2016 calendar? It has "Star Wars" in the title + it has Darth Vader in it. All it needs is good reviews, and good marketing for Vader's part, and 200M is guaranteed. No, it's not gonna touch TFA's record (that won't happen until at the very least Avatar 2; SW8 will not provide a true challenge imho), but it is a legit 200M OW club contender.

Civil War needs extremely strong WOM for 200M to even be in consideration, but it's not impossible. I thought BVS doing 200M was very likely, and since that didn't happen, I can't be sure of anything.

I'm talking about the film itself.

I really can't speak for America.

Here, almost all of my friends went to see it and a few are still planning on do it. Even people that have never seen a Batman or a Superman movie in life.

You should not walk out of a film starring Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman for the first time going "eh, it was alright, not nearly as bad as ppl said. Yeah it's flawed but it was OK"

Ppl should be leaving saying " WOW I gotta see that again. RIGHT NOW"

Thats what I mean by saying it's not a event. It's merely.......OK.

its hilarious reading a thread when you don't have a bone in the dog fight  (am i getting this expression right? sometimes the french in me peaks out her nose?) 

you guys are too much ....

i'm off to the cinema gonna watch 10 cloverfield something , i even considered watching triple 9 yesterday then as i took my membership card out to swipe for a ticket i saw the stub for triple 9 coz i don't throw them away and i lol hard becoz i tots forgot i had seen the movie it was that memorable

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Wait, folks here aren't convinced that Rogue One is by far the most legitimate contender at 200M OW in the 2016 calendar? It has "Star Wars" in the title + it has Darth Vader in it. All it needs is good reviews, and good marketing for Vader's part, and 200M is guaranteed. No, it's not gonna touch TFA's record (that won't happen until at the very least Avatar 2; SW8 will not provide a true challenge imho), but it is a legit 200M OW club contender.

Civil War needs extremely strong WOM for 200M to even be in consideration, but it's not impossible. I thought BVS doing 200M was very likely, and since that didn't happen, I can't be sure of anything.

I think Civil War has a far better chance to open with 200M than Rogue One.

My predictions right now (which at least for Rogue One, will very likely change):

Civil War - 202/550

Rogue One - 142/415

You should not walk out of a film starring Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman for the first time going "eh, it was alright, not nearly as bad as ppl said. Yeah it's flawed but it was OK"

Ppl should be leaving saying " WOW I gotta see that again. RIGHT NOW"

Thats what I mean by saying it's not a event. It's merely.......OK.

Well, I walked out of the movie theater like that, just like many other people. The fact that you didn't is your problem.

59 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I'd almost forgotten how heavy-handed Tomorrowland is with it's moralising. 

:sadben:

I really (yes, really) liked that movie until its forcefeeding of things I am already aware of and roll with got out of hand and bordered onto ridiculousness. There is nothing wrong with making a change or try to create a better world, but you shoudn't do it with a sledgehammer agenda.

Odd the detractors all show up suddenly.

Numbers are great at but honestly Affleck has Clooney-esque baggage. Shame about that. I thought he did a great job objectively speaking.

CW and Rogue are your next 200M OW milestones. Write it down. The mouse house has a blueprint for success. IMO.