CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Deadpool took the genre 5 steps forward then BvS took it 10 steps back.

Take out the pervy sex jokes, and the more extreme violence, Deadpool is a refreshing take on the genre. 

1 minute ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

I'm more than aiming for the Super Epic Saturday and Sunday for that matter.. I'm sticking by this and not budging 1 bit..

You can certainly can fight all day. 

5 minutes ago, Noctis said:

An Avengers movie opening this high would be good for me considering the meh response to AoU. So there is no need to be disappointed with this number.

Well if this increases like IM3 Saturday we could be looking to near 60 million Saturday.

I have doubts about that but we shall see. 

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

BKB, give it up. The only chance your club has (if it ever had one to begin with) is if CW does, like, 100M on Saturday. Just be a man and take the Goddamn loss already, will ya?

He will never do that. He has lost it :lol: He is predicting this to absolutely destroy Star Wars in Saturday and Sunday lol.

It is still gonna do 180M+ OW so whatever. 

• Like 1

For those who care, Grace Randolph tweeted out that neither Marvel fatigue or The Jungle Book are to blame for this 'low' opening - the embargo lift a month in advance + international release 1st are, which are leading to less of a rush factor for audiences since, given it's good, they can watch it later down the line.

4 hours ago, HeyItsMoses said:

Yup.

@chasmmi, @WrathOfHan, @The Panda Knight, @ThatOneGuy, @firedeep, @grey ghost, @Kalo, @movieman, @Treetrunk Special, @Dexter of Suburbia, @Empire, @Simionski, @JJ-8, @Jake Gittes, @Jayhawk, @#ED, @Exxdee, @kayumanggi, @Mike Hunt, and @Alpha...what the fuck were you guys thinking? lol

Now, I can't wait to see the look on the people's faces that are predicting over $300m for Suicide Squad...

Don't know why you included me since this is opening in live with my OW prediction. My final total was always based on it having great legs. 

18 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

I'm more than aiming for the Super Epic Saturday and Sunday for that matter.. I'm sticking by this and not budging 1 bit..

So much for Spidey and BP boosting the grosses. :rofl:

I still see 170m as the low end for OW. That's totally fine, even if it's far less than I thought going into the weekend. A month ago, there were many that doubted it would get around IM3 OW/DOM total. At the very least, it should get there.

34 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

For those who care, Grace Randolph tweeted out that neither Marvel fatigue or The Jungle Book are to blame for this 'low' opening - the embargo lift a month in advance + international release 1st are, which are leading to less of a rush factor for audiences since, given it's good, they can watch it later down the line.

I don't really get that.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Total bullshit since opening an MCU film 2 weeks ahead of time from US has yet to hurt them.

I'm wondering how big of an effect Cinqo de Mayo was this year.  It may have kept previews from maxing out in the South, at least.  Not sure if that would suppress the Friday gross at all, though.

7 minutes ago, John Doe said:

So where did Spider-Man's appeal go? He can no longer get asses in the seats. 

Second reboot in less than 10 years since SM3 didn't really help. Not to mention his appeal probably went down the Avi Arad shitter known as:

Spider-Man upside down on the side of the OsCorp tower with the film's title, credits and release date below.

That's as close to an explanation as I can give you.

5 minutes ago, The47th said:

I don't really get that.

Basically, it's her way to say that Marvel should just go for day-and-date global releases already, as it avoids a smaller rush factor and another factor she pointed out, which is piracy. Not that bad of a pair of points, tbh here. Though it is questionable that she called it a 'low opening', yet sung BVS all the praises for the smaller 166M opening. Well, more so the global 400M+ opening, but still. Let's just not go there, both movies did good on their OW's (great, even).

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JMorphin said:

I'm wondering how big of an effect Cinqo de Mayo was this year.  It may have kept previews from maxing out in the South, at least.  Not sure if that would suppress the Friday gross at all, though.

Probably had the same effect as Flag Day. 

7 minutes ago, John Doe said:

So where did Spider-Man's appeal go? He can no longer get asses in the seats. 

So this opens 70% higher than Winter Soldier and you are assuming that Spiderman didn't bring people in?

• Like 7