kayumanggi

CATS | DIGITAL FUR TECH TO LOSE 113.2M IN LITTER BOX | December 20, 2019 | #ReleaseTheButtholeCut

9 hours ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Shocker: a large number of people who happen to frequently stan for CBMs, action blockbusters, horror films, and predominantly male-centric entertainment (in other words, NOT the demographic that made CATS the musical theater phenomenon it was), are already predicting this film to be a clusterfuck and a flop...without having seen a single frame of film.

I don't know shit about broadway and musical theatre in general but I've watched a lot of movie musicals, both new and old, to the point that I'm always interested whenever a new one is getting made but with CATS I seriously don't get the appeal. Not just the movie, the theatre version too. Everytime I see a clip like the one posted a few posts earlier all I'm thinking is how is this ridiculous mess such a huge hit for decades?

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

But it's offset by the fact that we're gonna see a two foot tall CGI cat-person James Corden. H*ck no

But..but... taylor swift! Jason Durelo! uhh, Judie Dench!

On the other hand, James Cordon is first name listed in the cinemacon leaked footage.

Yeah, you have a point.

Just now, TMP said:

But..but... taylor swift! Jason Durelo! uhh, Judie Dench!

On the other hand, James Cordon is first name listed in the cinemacon leaked footage.

Yeah, you have a point.

Then again, Into the Woods was the only thing he's done that I found him to be tolerable. Maybe cheesy musicals is his exception to the rule.

But on the other hand, Jason DeRulo's one of the worst "musicians" on the pop charts right now...this is just a mess.

5 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

But on the other hand, Jason DeRulo's one of the worst "musicians" on the pop charts right now...this is just a mess.

Yes, but Derulo's badness is what makes his casting interesting!! Cordon's not even bad in an interesting way, he's just really boring and unfunny

Interview with the choreographer

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-cats-andy-blankenbuehler-choreographer-20190406-story.html

"I mean the original London and Broadway production of “Cats” scaled-up everything. But since you were seeing the cat right in front of you, or the human playing the cat right in front of you, it maybe wasn't as impactful as this movie is going to be. When you see these cats dance through a dining room where the table is 10 feet high, it's unbelievable. It's really beautiful.

And the other thing that the original production of “Cats” didn't do is it never left a single environment. It all took place in this one rubbish heap. The film of “Cats” goes all over this part of London. So it goes into people's houses, it goes into cars, it goes into pubs, it's all over the place. And just to see many varied pieces of scenery and props come in contact completely the wrong scale of what you think a person should look like, it's really amazing.

It was also great to see on film that for example, a wide shot of a single cat running through a dining room is totally amazing. And then sometimes a close-up of a cat with something like a hairbrush is also equally amazing. So there was a lot of visual learning to be done in the piece. And choreographically of course it was so much fun. I mean to dance on a staircase as a cat, it's astounding."

"Each of the cats is doing a number to sort of explain themselves, so to speak. And the tribe doesn't necessarily stay together the whole time. In the original Broadway production, the tribe all stayed together. And in the film, a lot of cats come and go, and they each bring their own unique set of challenges."

"She [Taylor Swift] was a perfect example of somebody who's totally game to dive in. Whenever I had a break she'd be like, “Can I come to your office so we can dance in the mirror?” She went above and beyond to push herself. And her number is just tremendous in the show."

"You know, Judi Dench isn't going to be dancing the Jellicle Ball, but what Judi Dench knows is how to make a poignant moment make you cry."

• Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Joel M said:

I don't know shit about broadway and musical theatre in general but I've watched a lot of movie musicals, both new and old, to the point that I'm always interested whenever a new one is getting made but with CATS I seriously don't get the appeal. Not just the movie, the theatre version too. Everytime I see a clip like the one posted a few posts earlier all I'm thinking is how is this ridiculous mess such a huge hit for decades?

It is called different taste...different things appealing to different people. You know what? Some people actually don't get the appeal of horror films or CBMs or whatever film genre is currently in vogue. Many of those films are also considered ridiculous messes, and many people can't fathom how in the heck movies about flying heroes fighting flying villains over possession of a glowy thingie that will save or destroy the world can be such huge hits for so long...and they are not wrong or right. It is just subjective taste.

CATS is not your thing, and a film like this is not the thing of many a fanboy who would rather watch "cool" things like intergalactic battles and fantasy worlds. That's all good. 

However, I am not going to base my assessment of a film I have not even watched a second of footage from on its source material, which is not any more ridiculous that the funnybooks with bright colored-spandex tights and horribly contrived plots and dialohues  that all these awesome CBMs are based on.

• Disbelief 1

7 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

As a long-time lover of cats and musicals, sitting through the musical Cats is maybe one of the worst things I've had to endure in my life.  Wonder how well this movie can replicate that experience.

Hope you're excited for all those Dutch angles of the mo-cap cats doing ballet.