CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

Honestly I don't get the VFX backlash here. I think it looks fine and the characters feel like they are underwater to me. It's not Avatar good, but I'm not going to expect that and Marshall's take is more fanciful compared to Cameron's more realistic approach. I have doubts of the film's quality, but I disagree with it looking like Halle's swimming in air.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hatebox said:

All Disney live-action remakes have been mediocre to bad but yeah, this will surely be the one that’s finally amazing. 

Aladdin was very entertaining and improved over the animated one in some ways. And I say that as an adamant “hater” of the live action remakes. 

On 2/13/2023 at 5:22 PM, WittyUsername said:

People have been griping about the lack of originality in Hollywood at least since the 2000s, but probably even earlier than that. It’s not a particularly recent complaint. I remember when District 9 came out (I was in middle school at the time), and one of the things it was praised for was being an original sci-fi movie. 

Hell, you can read people complaining about the lack of originality in Hollywood in the 1920's.  It has, quite litereally, been a gripe with Hollywood for a century.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m not interested in this movie, but I don’t see a need to roast the CGI. Does every movie that isn’t Avatar need to face these complaints? 

Ever since Halle Bailey's casting was announced, an unexpected LEGION of people suddenly had lots and lots of opinions and concern for The Little Mermaid

Ariel Disney GIF - Ariel Disney Annoyed - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Eric the Conqueror said:

Honestly I don't get the VFX backlash here. I think it looks fine and the characters feel like they are underwater to me. It's not Avatar good, but I'm not going to expect that and Marshall's take is more fanciful compared to Cameron's more realistic approach. I have doubts of the film's quality, but I disagree with it looking like Halle's swimming in air.

It's not so much a VFX thing but rather something I saw brought up in an A2 VFX reaction video with one of thr guys from WETA, which is basically that when you aren't really underwater but try to act like you are, you end up overacting because it's extremely hard to imitate the natural resistance from water.

That said I don't think it looks worse than most other water stuff like Aquaman, it's mostly fine, the only reason it looks worse than them if anything is because Avatar 2 exists now as a (mostly unreachable) bar, whereas before there wasn't really anything to set the gold standard for underwater stuff. But I don't think the GA will be anywhere near as picky in their comparisons.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

When people saw the second Aladdin teaser, they complained (rightfully so) how Smith looked as the genie. They saw the pics which were not so bad but laughed at the genie in the teaser. That was a legit complaint. Looked a HELLUVA lot better in the full trailer but the sting still hurt until the movie came out.

For this, I am not sure what people are complaining about. Color pallet? Darkness/lightness? These are technical things that even depend on the screen you are watching. Seems a bit of hyperbole to state the vfx look horrible based on that.

Gotta remember two things. One-we are living in a world where hating on something is the norm. Two-visually speaking, Avatar has an unfair and unfortunate monopoly of sorts over the tech and visuals it uses.

Oh, I forget a third thing. It's fashionable to hate anything Disney related.

Edited by jedijake
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JustLurking said:

It's not so much a VFX thing but rather something I saw brought up in an A2 VFX reaction video with one of thr guys from WETA, which is basically that when you aren't really underwater but try to act like you are, you end up overacting because it's extremely hard to imitate the natural resistance from water.

That said I don't think it looks worse than most other water stuff like Aquaman, it's mostly fine, the only reason it looks worse than them if anything is because Avatar 2 exists now as a (mostly unreachable) bar, whereas before there wasn't really anything to set the gold standard for underwater stuff. But I don't think the GA will be anywhere near as picky in their comparisons.

THE ABYSS. Jimmy C strikes again!

22 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

IMO, not best to judge the VFX based on a compressed/sub-1080p/not proper frame rate/not even fullscreen Twitter spot.

It already looks way smoother in 1080p, so I'm quite confused, why nobody bothered to post the cleaned up not Twitter compressed version.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

I would love somebody to do a Jungle Book movie that goes back to the original Kipling stories which are a LOT darker then the Disney version.

That’s what Andy Serkis tried to do. It didn’t work out too well. 

Anyway, as far as the live action remakes are concerned, this looks slightly more inspired than most of the others, from what little we’ve seen of it, but that’s faint praise. 

14 hours ago, Poseidon said:

It already looks way smoother in 1080p, so I'm quite confused, why nobody bothered to post the cleaned up not Twitter compressed version.

Why are all the comments to this "I loved the part where ariel said" plus some dumb quote. I dont get it. Am I missing something here?