CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

4 hours ago, JustLurking said:

Why are all the comments to this "I loved the part where ariel said" plus some dumb quote. I dont get it. Am I missing something here?

I could be wrong but it started appearing when the Rings of Power came out and got Tolkien so wrong. People started saying things like "My favourite part was when Galadriel destroyed the Death Star."

• Haha 1

On 2/16/2023 at 11:24 AM, ChipDerby said:

Could be worse, the mermaids could all look like they're holding their breath, like another Disney film...

I watched the behind the scenes of that Disney film on Disney plus a few days ago and they did a lot of work filming underwater in that film. It wasn’t just cgi as @IronJimbo thinks.

6 hours ago, JustLurking said:

Why are all the comments to this "I loved the part where ariel said" plus some dumb quote. I dont get it. Am I missing something here?

1 hour ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

I could be wrong but it started appearing when the Rings of Power came out and got Tolkien so wrong. People started saying things like "My favourite part was when Galadriel destroyed the Death Star."

Also saw this with the first Indiana Jones trailer. I think that's supposed to be a racist dogwhistle from racists and alt-righters...but I don't know what the dogwhistle is supposed to represent here.

• Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 1

For anyone that saw Mary Poppins Returns: remember that underwater musical number? That was really vibrant and whimsical. Whoever directed that movie should have been asked to work on this.

3 hours ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

That running joke was only funny on Rings of Power videos because that show really felt like Alex Kurtzman's take on LOTR after seeing seasons 1 and 2 of Star Trek: Picard where they just completely missed the mark in style and sentiment.

I don't see anything especially wrong with this Mermaid movie(other than its not for me) and its kinda obvious most of the down-votes this is getting is from idiots upset over a black Mermaid and are adopting the gag.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ken said:

For anyone that saw Mary Poppins Returns: remember that underwater musical number? That was really vibrant and whimsical. Whoever directed that movie should have been asked to work on this.

So.....that was horribly sarcastic.

But truthfully, the underwater scenes in MPR were not that atrocious. There have been several different ways to do underwater scenes. We have that one. We also have Aquaman which weren't bad for the purpose it needed. Of course there's AWOW which is its own league. But even then, you have to really put all these through a fine toothed comb to find absolutely drastic differences. The only ones that really stood out as being dark were BPWF (I admit that was a weak point but they only had so long to work on it) and POTC:OST which, of course, Marshall also did.

2 hours ago, jedijake said:

So.....that was horribly sarcastic.

But truthfully, the underwater scenes in MPR were not that atrocious. There have been several different ways to do underwater scenes. We have that one. We also have Aquaman which weren't bad for the purpose it needed. Of course there's AWOW which is its own league. But even then, you have to really put all these through a fine toothed comb to find absolutely drastic differences. The only ones that really stood out as being dark were BPWF (I admit that was a weak point but they only had so long to work on it) and POTC:OST which, of course, Marshall also did.

Sorry that I was unclear: I was actually being honest about MPR. Only the second sentence was a joke, because it seemed funny to me how visually different they both were despite coming from the same director. (This is why I try to make more sincere posts than comedic ones, since I can't do it as effortlessly as others.)

Personally, I don't really have any particular strong feelings about how this film looks, mostly because very little of it has been revealed so far. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 12:08 PM, Ken said:

Real problem with MPR was that none of the songs were memorable.

On 2/16/2023 at 4:44 PM, WittyUsername said:

That’s what Andy Serkis tried to do. It didn’t work out too well. 

Anyway, as far as the live action remakes are concerned, this looks slightly more inspired than most of the others, from what little we’ve seen of it, but that’s faint praise. 

It's not so much the live action remakes are out and out bad, they are just so mediocre.

1 hour ago, Morieris said:

Kids?

Uh, yeah, I knew that was coming lol. But the question is do they really? And what kids?

But seriously though, pulling a double punch and having something at the kids choice and then something else at the oscars wouldn't be a bad thing.