grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

1 minute ago, Webslinger said:

I keep forgetting that Amy Adams had not been nominated for Best Actress prior to American Hustle. Must be the fact that I thought she should have been nominated (and won) for Enchanted in 2007... ;)

Quoted for truth.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VinceMichaudC said:
Need to know about Tarzan. We need a sequel

Actually, that's the last thing we need, another sequel to a bad movie that barely broke even.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 4

The Heat previews + OD was 1 + 12.7 = 13.7

GB previews  + OD looks like 3.4 + 13.6 = 17

Removing previews The Heat did 38.1 over the weekend (for a 39.1 ow).

Same ratio would give GB 40.8 + previews = 44.2 ow

14 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Not really great for Ghostbusters, the 500m+ WW Sony was hoping for seems like a longshot

Impossible without China, even if it manages to make 250m DOM, 250m WW is not happening.

Ghostbusters was good. I really enjoyed it. Anyone wanna guess how it did army theatre today :lol:

Ill preface that pretty much everything bombed today. But ghostbusters was just bad. Trust me, this doesn't have to do with my system being incorrect. Pets did 10.8M, Mike and Dave did 2.7M. BFG did 3.3M. Tarzan did 3M.

Ghostbusters had an opening day of... drumroll... 4.4M.

25 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Actually, that's the last thing we need, a sequel to a bad movie that barely broke even.

WOM suggests otherwise. If it's not your cup of tea by all means, that's fine - but your adjective does not reflect the reality of this film's run in the domestic market, and is thus poorly chosen.

Edited by VinceMichaudC
  • Like 2

On 15 July 2016 at 10:02 AM, DeeCee said:

Based on my Patented Australia:Domestic Weekend Comparison I'm completely ruling out anything over $50m.

We're scientists here. The system works. 

Ghostbusters at 10:05 was maybe 10% full.  Sadly I think that's being generous and this is one of Nashville's most popular theaters.

I would give it a C+ or a B-, I haven't decided.  The script was honestly VERY weak, and the cameos felt incredibly forced to me but in the end McKinnon saved it.  The cast in general could really do something great if they have the right material this just wasn't it.  It's not terrible by any means, it's just the only thing worse.  Mediocre.

• Like 1

I wonder if the failed coup in Turkey suppressed turnout in the US.  People being glued to their TVs and all.  Might see higher bumps on Sat if there was even a little effect.

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

I think it'll do well but $30M? The Conjuring movies were the exceptions, not the rules.

It's opening in a similar spot to Orphan 7 years ago. That was also a horror movie that arrived at a time when competition was especially intense (the second weekend of Harry Potter 6, the combined big start for G-Force and The Ugly Truth).

According to BO PRO Lights Out has bigger Facebook numbers than all horrors this year, excepting Conjuring. It's trailer views are also huge. I mean, the TV spots posted by WB yesterday alone account for more than 4m views. And it will likely get the same or even better reviews than the first Conjuring. 30m might seem much, but's it's perfect counter programming. At the very least I expect 20m and very good legs.  

Edited by James

So Ghostbusters will barely pass 100m? I expected it to be in the 150-200m range at worst :/

I'm a bit disappointed, the movie is apparently fine and people talked a lot about it, generating free promotion.

I guess we'll have to rely on its legs.

Edited by Fullbuster

18 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

So Ghostbusters will barely pass 100m? I expected it to be in the 150-200m range at worst :/

I'm a bit disappointed, the movie is apparently fine and people talked a lot about it, generating free promotion.

I guess we'll have to rely on its legs.

It should have good legs same as other Melissa McCarthy movies. 

• Like 2

Lol at the comment section of YouTube for Hilary's America trailer. I don't care what the movie is about, it looks like garbage, horribly "acted", cheap etc from a film standpoint.

"I hope this is bigger than Star Wars" was the comment that got me. Okay honey, you keep dreaming.