abra

Monday #s Pets 11.7M | FD 2.6M | TLoT 2.5M

1 hour ago, HeyItsMoses said:

So this could be the 6th film to beat BvS. Awesome! 

Just 4 more to go! :D

You and I are the only members of that club.  It likely ends up at #10 still for the year, but there is still a shot.  

If Pets holds up that puts BvS at #7 and need 3 more.  Rogue One is a lock, so that puts it at #8.  I think Suicide Squad, Fantastic Beasts and Moana are the best shots but going to need some help and the schedule gets really crowded.  

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

You and I are the only members of that club.  It likely ends up at #10 still for the year, but there is still a shot.  

If Pets holds up that puts BvS at #7 and need 3 more.  Rogue One is a lock, so that puts it at #8.  I think Suicide Squad, Fantastic Beasts and Moana are the best shots but going to need some help and the schedule gets really crowded.  

Is it possible to end up even outside of the top 10 in the calendar year?

Edited by lab276

Good lord!!!!!!!  I'm not trying to throw water on it!!!!  I'm trying to give an honest opinion based upon real numbers.  I have not 1 cell in my body that is rooting for this movie to fail.  I'm the one guy who doesn't understand liking a particular studios typical offerings means you root for the other studio to bomb.  That kind of thinking doesn't even register to me.  I'm going to see Pets today with my whole family and am hoping to be entertained.  I laughed my but off at the previews and am cautiously optimistic.

The Disney in my name is carried over from a theme park website forum and has way more to do with parks than movies and BTW, a huge Universal Studios fan as well.

Im not some Disney fan loon.  There isn't even a Disney movie in my top 5, which are led by Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Good the Bad and the Ugly.  I'm just giving an honest assessment and even stated it could definitely show its not on a Minions trajectory with Wednesday through weekend numbers. How bout showing how our numbers are wrong instead of just belittling people who see it differently than you.  I respect your opinion and see the validity in it, but I can't see what it so outlandish or

bias in any of the numbers or projections I gave.

Edited by Planodisney
  • Like 7

I do want to say that the 58% drop isn't a good hold. And I don't think you can compare it to IO because others have stated that was coming off of an inflated Father's Day Sunday. 

Another thing to consider is that while SLOP is an original, it's been marketed for the past year or so, where people have been anxiously looking forward to it so the possibility that it could have been front loaded this weekend isn't out of the books. 

However I do think we need to look at numbers the next few days befor predicting what type of multiplier it has because it's only one day haha 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Baumer said:

SMH. 

Let's judge a film on a Monday number....the first Monday no less. Crazy.

2 hours ago, Baumer said:

Yep. Agreed. Great number. An IO run looks doable

:rotfl:

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 8

I've actually backtracked a bit after getting my first look at that Saturday hold for Pets.  For whatever reason I hadn't noticed that.  Yes IO Sunday was somewhat inflated but I think the Saturday hold for Pets more than makes up for that.

For me it's 50/50 which way it could go.

41 minutes ago, Baumer said:

SMH. 

Let's judge a film on a Monday number....the first Monday no less. Crazy.

As cannastop pointed out, you're the only one who did that. Most of us have said that it is preferable to wait for the next few days.

Also, I find it a bit strange that you're so defensive of a movie that you supposedly hate a lot.

Although we should be refrain from being overly optimistic, I think we can hope that this 59% drop is an indicator of big future drops. Minions, DM2, TS3 and IO all dropped less than that.

Edited by Quigley

38 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

If this holds well, it could go over Zootopia DOM as well. That'd be a pretty big surprise.

The bigger surprise is that they're both going to cross $300m dom easily. Would anyone from January predict that?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

The bigger surprise is that they're both going to cross $300m dom easily. Would anyone from January predict that?

Well, yeah, that's just shocking. But, I never thought a movie like SLOP had a real chance of grossing more than Zootopia. And, honestly, I don't expect it to either. But, man oh man, what a year for mainstream animation with Zootopia, Jungle Book, Dory and now SLOP.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Well, yeah, that's just shocking. But, I never thought a movie like SLOP had a real chance of grossing more than Zootopia. And, honestly, I don't expect it to either. But, man oh man, what a year for mainstream animation with Zootopia, Jungle Book, Dory and now SLOP.

Jungle Book is considered an animation? 

Chaz, don't expect Dory to rebound until this weekend.  Even IO which had incredible holds was hit hard that first week weekdays when Minions opened.  It then rebounded to a 35% drop the following weekend and sub 40 drop weekdays the following week.  It suffered near 50% drops everyday that first week.  I expect similar for Dory.  I think we have to see this weekend and dailies next week.

Edited by Planodisney

I didn't like Pets at all. And my assertion that he could have run similar to Inside Out has nothing to do with how much it fell or held on Monday. I just think that audiences seem to like it enough and it had a very very good hold on Saturday and they typically soft off on Sunday so that is what I'm basing it on. I don't think you can judge any movie based on what it drops or where it holds on its first Monday. The second weekend drop is more telling. If it drops less than 50% then it probably has a chance to do over a three multiplier.

1 hour ago, Baumer said:

SMH. Let's judge a film on a Monday number....the first Monday no less. Crazy.

Not anything knew. Yall judge and predict and prophesize films entire runs after the midnight numbers. 

• Like 5

I think we can safely say we don't have to worry about box office numbers of an animated film because there has been a saturation of quality films released before it.

If they're good, people will come!!!!

I honestly thought Zootopia, followed by Dorys massive numbers would effect Pets numbers.

Wow, was I ever wrong!!!!

If Pets gets to 300m, regardless of what the multi is, then that will be a huge win for Universal. It will make it the highest non-Disney original animated film.

It needs to cross Shrek 1's 268 million to achieve this milestone.

Minions had a 2.9 multi domestic but ended up the 10th highest grossing film of all time. That's thanks to its domestic total and OS performance. So while the multiplier is an important factor, I think the totals and OS and WW performances paint a better overall picture of a movie's failure or success. 

If it fails dom and succeeds OS or vice versa then there is something wrong. But if both totals exceed expectations, then it's a success regardless of the multi, which many people won't remember a year from now.