abra

Monday #s Pets 11.7M | FD 2.6M | TLoT 2.5M

49 minutes ago, Baumer said:

I didn't like Pets at all. And my assertion that he could have run similar to Inside Out has nothing to do with how much it fell or held on Monday. I just think that audiences seem to like it enough and it had a very very good hold on Saturday and they typically soft off on Sunday so that is what I'm basing it on. I don't think you can judge any movie based on what it drops or where it holds on its first Monday. The second weekend drop is more telling. If it drops less than 50% then it probably has a chance to do over a three multiplier.

The key factor here is that Pets looks way more mainstream and family attainable than IO.

IO might be better (for me, it was the best film of 2016), but Pets could deliver great numbers through the Summer. I am also confident it will have over three multiplier

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, stripe said:

The key factor here is that Pets looks way more mainstream and family attainable than IO.

IO might be better (for me, it was the best film of 2016), but Pets could deliver great numbers through the Summer. I am also confident it will have over three multiplier

Huge difference between more than a 3 multiplier and the near 4 multiplier that IO had though.

• Like 1

Why would be TJB considered an animation? 

If it is, then it makes the 6 animations combined dom OVER 6 CBMs combined dom really likely :

DORY > CW by 90-100m

ZOOTOPIA > BVS by 12m

TJB = DP or < by 1-2m

PETS > or = SS  most likely

MOANA > or = DS most likely

KFP3 < APOC by 12m

Without TJB, DP would be bigger than the #6 animation by what...250m? Then, say, MOANA would need a 100m lead over DS, PETS would need a 50m lead over SS and DORY a 100m lead over CW to counter that 250m.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Why would be TJB considered an animation? 

It meets a technical definition for animation, with the scenery and animal characters (everything except Mowgli) being generated frame-by-frame by computer animation. That being said, because of how photorealistic it is I think many or even most people are perceiving it as live-action.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 1

How low is Ice Age gonna go?

Pets/Dory have cornered the market and will combine for 40 mil that weekend. 

We've seen sequels this year target families and offer nothing new. Those sequels then pulled in a fraction of the last film's gross. 

Star Trek will target any audience above the age of 12 that weekend too. 

I think 30 mil opening and 100-110 sounds about right to me. 

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

It meets a technical definition for animation, with the scenery and animal characters (everything except Mowgli) being generated frame-by-frame by computer animation.

Yes, those lines between live-action and animation are getting blurred.

If you look at TGD the animated scenery is amazingly realistic. If I didn't know that I was watching a Pixar film I wouldn't realize it's animated.

If instead of the animated kid, they had used a real one, it would have been like TJB - "live action".

Or if TJB had a photo-realistic animated Mowgli, it would have clearly been an animation film.