baumer

Weekend #s STB 59.6M, Pets 29.3M, GB and LO 21.6M, IA5 21M

Star Trek Beyond opened pretty close to where I thought it would land heading into the weekend (mid-50s). It's a solid opening after the lukewarm reception to Into Darkness, but the road ahead should be rough with the back-to-back releases of Jason Bourne and Suicide Squad. Even though it's not a dud by any means, I do think that if a fourth film with this cast ends up happening, it will have to be with a much smaller budget in light of the increasing decline in box office performance.

The Secret Life of Pets is still kicking ass. Its gross and hold are about in line with those of Inside Out in its third weekend, which bodes well for its prospects of surpassing $350 million domestically.

Ghostbusters had an okay hold by summer tentpole standards. We'll see how it stabilizes from here, but it should be able to at least surpass $125 million.

Lights Out had a stellar opening. James Wan's producer credit and the striking imagery in the ad campaign both helped it to stand out and fill a genre void. Legs will be weak based on the weekend multiplier, but it's already a hit against its meager budget.

Ice Age opened disastrously. To put its performance into context, the estimate is barely ahead of the second weekend gross of the previous film (and well behind the second weekend grosses of the other three films - and that's without adjusting for inflation). The franchise has clearly run its course, and the continued strength of The Secret Life of Pets took a chunk out of it too. Furthermore, with how huge the biggest family-friendly films have been this year, there's probably some level of fatigue setting in.

• Like 2

Weren't people predicting a much smaller budget after Star Trek into Darkness did what it did? Glad to see that prediction worked out well for ya all.

It still has a reasonable shot at 200M Domestic. It's going to be just fine. This franchise is a merchandising juggernaut. 

1 minute ago, Webslinger said:

Ice Age opened disastrously. To put its performance into context, the estimate is barely ahead of the second weekend gross of the previous film (and well behind the second weekend grosses of the other three films - and that's without adjusting for inflation). The franchise has clearly run its course, and the continued strength of The Secret Life of Pets took a chunk out of it too. Furthermore, with how huge the biggest family-friendly films have been this year, there's probably some level of fatigue setting in.

Kinda make you appreciate how Disney can score 3 animation hits (JB is practically an animation) before the summer is over. Four in a single year, if Moana is successful.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Excellent. Curious to see how crowded my showing is in a few hours.

I wouldn't read too much into it, it's like this for almost every major blockbuster on OW, especially space themed ones. But they are especially disorganized. Why the fuck do they have the concessions and tickets sales at the same window? Slows everything down to a crawl.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DAR said:

Looking at the audience scores for STID I think we need to hold back on the myth it was poorly received.

Opinions change though. It'd be like me using all the RT/MC/CS stuff for Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory from 2005 to try and pass off that it's really well liked when it's clear that it's not.

8 minutes ago, Phil in the Blank said:

Weren't people predicting a much smaller budget after Star Trek into Darkness did what it did? Glad to see that prediction worked out well for ya all.

It still has a reasonable shot at 200M Domestic. It's going to be just fine. This franchise is a merchandising juggernaut. 

There is a reason why it costed so much. They did PLENTY of reshoots. Some studios actually care and invest lot of money to turn a crap into something decent or possibly great in order to avoid embarassment for themselves and the filmmakers. It also helps to have a good producer who can fight for more money to make things much better. Fox can learn a thing or two from paramount.

To the person who last week claimed Ghostbusters was on the same level as Back to the Future, I can't agree with you. Just saw the latter on the big screen for the first time and it was so much more crowded than the other classics I've seen except for Raiders, and that was packed because it was Fathers Day.

Yes, Back to the Future was significantly more crowded than Jurassic freaking Park. I'm convinced that a reboot would still be huge financially; definitely bigger than Ghostbusters. I don't want it to happen and it won't happen but if it did... It would make some serious shit.