CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

Good number. Considering this movie was marketed much more heavily to the teenage midnight crowd than most superhero movies, and the fact that everyone is off school and it is the middle of summer, I think that the preview to weekend IM might be lower than people think. I'm not quite talking Twilight or anything levels, but pretty much the same weekend IM as BvS despite being a more "original" property. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, James said:

I just saw a comment here predicting 125m for OW. LOL WUT? This is a not a sequel. It should hold better than BvS/CW for the weekend.

Based on its drop in SK (-37%), and its projected drop in Portugal, it's playing like a sequel more than an original. Those are only two markets of course. I think $125M is way too low, but I won't knock someone for thinking its going to drop. I think $140M is where its headed. 

Edited by Nova

Here are some comps for Friday grosses including previews.

SUMMER:

CA:CW: $61.9m

Apocalypse: $66.6m (lol)

GOTG: $70.5m

JW: $90.8m

NOT SUMMER:

BvS: $60.4m

Deadpool: $76.4m (But not a summer/Holiday opening)

Mid 60s seems about right, IMO.

From Deadline

Already we’re hearing from tracking sources that early matinees figures are looking like Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice. Remember that movie, which previewed on Holy Thursday and opened on Good Friday, chalked up an $81.56M first day and a three-day of $166M. BvS ranks as Warner Bros. second highest opening weekend for a film at the B.O., right behind its all-time champ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 which cleared $169.1M in July 2011.

Given that BvS opened on Good Friday, this is insanely encouraging.

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Good number. Considering this movie was marketed much more heavily to the teenage midnight crowd than most superhero movies, and the fact that everyone is off school and it is the middle of summer, I think that the preview to weekend IM might be lower than people think. I'm not quite talking Twilight or anything levels, but pretty much the same weekend IM as BvS despite being a more "original" property. 

I agree and Friday will be T-Mobile inflated.  

BvS and TDKR both had around a 6x preview number despite one being original and in March and the other in sequel in summer (and with other issues).  It will interesting to where SS lands.

OD will be over 70m. Mark my words. There is no point in comparing it to BvS, AoU or CW. Deadpool is a much better comparisson. That and it also has a T-Mobile promo. Deadpool's preview/OD ratio would put it at almost 76m. That might be too much, but 70m will happen.

• Like 1

Some quick comps:

If it follows:

BvS it does 125 mill OW

Civil War:  147

Deadpool:  240 

GOTG:  160

My guess is 140

• Like 6