CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

57 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

So great marketing is enough to give you a great opening day, but if the movie is shit, word travels very fast nowadays.

Back in the '80s and '90s, you had a piece of crap movie, you put a trailer with a lot of explosions and it was Wednesday before people knew your movie was shit. But now what happens is, 10 minutes into the movie, people are tweeting 'This is shit, go see Vin Diesel.'  - Will Smith

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

JL will be lucky to hit 150 DOM unless WW really turns things around. And lol, who am I kidding this is clearly a sinking ship franchise. 

And you thought SS would challenge TDK...

giphy.gif

End of Watch was a brutal, damn good movie. Imagining that level of violence with some of these characters...damn. Should've gone all in with the Joker/Harley messed up relationship and had people feeling disturbed about it as they left the theatre. 

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

@Chewy remember when you said you couldn't believe that two $100M+ openers, from the same franchise to boot, were going to witness sub-2.0 multipliers this year?

7drHiqr.gif

:ohmygod:

• Like 1

Just now, K1stpierre said:

Holy shit that drop is ginormous. I can't remember the last time I've seen a huge drop off from FRI to SAT. Damn.

Twilight?

*checks*

$71,167,839

- / -

4,070 / $17,486

$71,167,839 / 1

$41,443,147

-41.8% / -

4,070 / $10,183

$112,610,986 / 2

Wow, even with 37m, that's still not as bad as BD Part 2's Fri-Sat drop! 

• Like 3

Just now, DealWithIt said:

End of Watch was a brutal, damn good movie. Imagining that level of violence with some of these characters...damn. Should've gone all in with the Joker/Harley messed up relationship and had people feeling disturbed about it as they left the theatre. 

They're trying to sell toys here fam

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Will Smith effect seems to be officially over & Margot Robbie isn't a draw (yet)... I know that's harsh but that's where we are at.

Box office draws are few and far between these days anyway.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Will Smith effect seems to be officially over & Margot Robbie isn't a draw (yet)... I know that's harsh but that's where we are at.

If you ignore that Harley steals the show, sure. Margot will blow up in popularity after this. 

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

ABSOLUTELY!  They don't take money away from the studios if they get most of the box office in the first week.   Just the opposite, in fact! 

Now that doesn't make the OW to Total ratio worthless, especially for trying to predict future gross for DC movies.  At the same time if this movie does "only" 250 to 275, I suspect that while the famous Zombieland gif about crying money would be a bit overstated, it wouldn't be THAT far from the truth.

That is, WB would be happy with the gross while absolutely knowing that this pace isn't sustainable in the long run.  A sort of "Two things can be equally true" thing at play. :)

That depends on if the rumored info in the Hollywood Reporter (which also spilled about supposed editing changes) that the studio think it needs $750-800m WW theatrical.  Which if true really makes me wonder about the reported budget, size of marketing and participation on the back end.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Twilight?

*checks*

$71,167,839

- / -

4,070 / $17,486

$71,167,839 / 1

$41,443,147

-41.8% / -

4,070 / $10,183

$112,610,986 / 2

Wow, even with 37m, that's still not as bad as BD Part 2's Fri-Sat drop! 

God damn, so even twilight had a better drop. I wonder if this will rank in the top 5 worst FRI to SAT drops. I mean really we're looking at around a 50% drop here.

• Like 1

Just now, Chewy said:

They're trying to sell toys here fam

Oh I know. Thought about adding that to the end of what I said. Just with Ayer at the helm, I can't help but play the what if game had this gone the hard R rating route.