Fullbuster

Will Movie Theaters still exist in 10 or 15 years?

I know that's not something many of you don't want to think about but given how fast this global economy is changing it's a legitimate debate that can be very interesting, what do you think? What kind of innovation could bring down movie theaters?

For example virtual movie theaters in virtual reality could be a serious threat, allowing to enjoy it from home.

Yes they will still exist. Just like they exist right now despite online streaming, pirating has become increasingly easier due to high broadband internet and higher quality pirate streams etc... However just like it is now admissions would be lower but with increased ticket prices it will compensate for the lower admissions thereby evening things out to having similar or greater box office grosses than past years.

Theaters will be around but they've turned into Walmart. Dumbass people come on in and don't care about other people unfortunately. But people still like to see a movie, not everyone has Netflix, or Internet for that matter. It just depends digital could take over but not real soon. Then again not everyone has Internet or Netflix. I live out in the country, I could tell you that my Internet connection sucks. 

Movie theatres can provide something that home theatres never ever can: The communal experience.

Even 50 or 100 people in a theatre gives an experience that simply can't be replicated with a half dozen of your friends in a living room.

Also (some/many) people just like going out.  Home kitchens are better than ever.  Cookbooks are easier to follow than ever.  Getting good food to cook is simpler than ever.  People still like to eat at fancy restaurants.  Or even not-so-fancy ones.

Going out for an 'experience' is part and parcel of, well, everything.

I've been hearing about the death of the movie theatre/film for decades.  And I haven't seen one whit of evidence to suggest that it's going to happen any time soon.

Now it might certainly change.  The age of the multiplex might be replaced by a smaller dinner-and-a-movie experience like the Alamo Drafthouse or Studio Movie Grill. 

But still exist?  Well, theatrical stage productions still exist (and are probably thriving) despite decades of assualt from other avenues.  And they range from community theatres to mulit-million dollar broadway productions.  If stage theatres still exist after all this time with so many other options why wouldn't movie theatres?

• Like 11

To put things a different way:

TV was going to kill movie theaters.  It didn't.

Cable was going to kill movie theaters.  It didn't.

VCRs were going to kill movie theaters.  They didn't.

Piracy was going to kill movie theaters.  It didn't.

Home theaters were going to kill movie theaters.  They didn't.

DVD was going to kill movie theaters.  It didn't.

The internet (and by extension streaming) was going to kill movie theaters.  It didn't.

The movie theater has survived 100 years of new entertainment options being thrown at it.  The movie theater has survived economic upheaval and literal World Wars.  The movie theater has certainly changed over the decades, but at its heart it exists because it fulfills a need:  Many people like to be entertained in groups. 

Virtual reality will add a new wrinkle for entertainment options, yes.  It'll provide something that movie theaters can't.  But unless one really thinks we're all gonna plug ourselves in VR rigs 24/7, going out and having the group experience is something that people are going to want.  At least for the foreseeable future.

What actually gets shown in movie theaters will absolutely change as society's whims change.  But going away?  Especially in such a short time frame?  Not a chance in hell.

• Like 24

28 minutes ago, Porthos said:

To put things a different way:

TV was going to kill movie theaters.  It didn't.

Cable was going to kill movie theaters.  It didn't.

VCRs were going to kill movie theaters.  They didn't.

Piracy was going to kill movie theaters.  It didn't.

Home theaters were going to kill movie theaters.  They didn't.

DVD was going to kill movie theaters.  It didn't.

The internet (and by extension streaming) was going to kill movie theaters.  It didn't.

The movie theater has survived 100 years of new entertainment options being thrown at it.  The movie theater has survived economic upheaval and literal World Wars.  The movie theater has certainly changed over the decades, but at its heart it exists because it fulfills a need:  Many people like to be entertained in groups. 

Virtual reality will add a new wrinkle for entertainment options, yes.  It'll provide something that movie theaters can't.  But unless one really thinks we're all gonna plug ourselves in VR rigs 24/7, going out and having the group experience is something that people are going to want.  At least for the foreseeable future.

What actually gets shown in movie theaters will absolutely change as society's whims change.  But going away?  Especially in such a short time frame?  Not a chance in hell.

:bravo:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bishop54 said:

They better be, though a ticket will cost $30 and popcorn $12. 

More like a ticket will still cost $12 and popcorn will cost $30.:rolleyes:

Movie prices have actually been pretty stable here in Canada, not counting the surcharges for 3D, D-BOX, reserved seating and VIP 19+, but concession prices are rising steadily. More than $5 for a pop, over $6 for a small popcorn and butter is an extra $1.19. I don't feel the least bit guilty about bringing a small backpack and stopping at a dollar store or 7-11 (theaters really need a version of slurpees, they actually last until near the end of movie)

I think we'd get Release Day Home Rentals for 50$, special equipment, whatever that plan was, before we get VR movies...either way, theaters are not going anywhere.

9 minutes ago, Incarnadine said:

and butter is an extra $1.19

Wow, really? We just have butter pumps on a table...though a matinee and small drink cost me about 13$.

This might just be the theatre employee in me saying this but I think the people who work at movie theatres will have some part in this. A movie theatre is like any business; if people are satisfied they will come back when they are interested. As has been said above, people like to be entertained in groups, and I think there will always be that desire to some extent. 

But it say if you go to a movie and something is wrong; the worker is rude to you, someone in the auditorium is being loud and nothing is done about it, then you won't come back or at least be less likely to. And with new technologies etc movie theatres have never been able to just ignore that. So I try and do my part; I'll work my butt off at work to make sure everyone I talk to has a great experience. If it's something as simple as charging someone 5 bucks for one medium drink and splitting it into 2 small cups when they originally ordered 2 4 dollar small drinks. If I have nothing to do and the usher is occupied, I'll go check the auditoriums again to make sure everyone is behaving and nobody is being disrupted. And just being friendly really helps to.

Going to the movies isn't just about seeing a movie, it's really an experience. Like a restaurant; it's easy to order takeout or just cook at home. But it's the service you go for, and if the service is good you are more likely to come back. And if I can do my part by even influencing 1 person per night to come back again next week, then I've done my job supporting an industry that I love.

• Like 9

The Shay would like to chime in with a different perspective: theatres in my poor E. European country are almost always EMPTY (like 2 or 3 or 8 people watching) - even on an OW night!!

And still - they somehow obviously make money, and multiply. :) So nothing to worry about.

Also, most major cinema chains in UK and Ireland offer membership cards that give you unlimited!! monthly!! access - for the price of a single ticket (and a half) - 20 euro. :) These theatres also seem to be doing well enough.

So what I gather from that is your American theatres must be making SO MUCH MOOLAH from you people (being often sold out and offering no really cheap options), that even if they somehow start making 10 times less!! - they would still be in business. :) So don't mind them. Just enjoy your movies, they are here to stay.

Edited by shayhiri