WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 28): Magnificent 7 35M | Storks 21.8M | Sully 13.8M | Bridget Jones 4.5M

31 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

I still can't believe they cast a thin, gorgeous girl for The Girl on the Train. Emily Blunt is a great and endlessly watchable actress but the whole point of the story is that she's fat and feels worthless and undesirable and lives vicariously through a beautiful woman she sees from the train. 

Supposedly they also tone down her alcoholism.   So everything that made her "other" is gone.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Mag 7 is the Kingsman of 2016.

Fuck Faqua, Fuck Washington, Fuck Pratt, Fuck Hawke, Fuck the assholse in front of me who wouldn't shut up, Fuck me for paying nine dollars to watch that fuckinf horrendous movie.

More psyched than i originally was after this reaction now! Kingsman is one of my favourite movies of last year :lol:

12 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Mag 7 is the Kingsman of 2016.

Fuck Faqua, Fuck Washington, Fuck Pratt, Fuck Hawke, Fuck the assholse in front of me who wouldn't shut up, Fuck me for paying nine dollars to watch that fuckinf horrendous movie.

I don't understand what you're saying here, because Kingsman is a good movie.

Edited by FTF
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I remember Ethan hated Kingsman because "a dog was killed" even though no dog gets killed 

I think it was dislike for the distasteful blind willingness to kill a dog on the say so of one's superior in order to prove oneself worthy.  They all pulled the trigger except Eggsy.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

I think families are still burned out after Finding Dory, and Secret Life Of Pets this summer. Storks looked like a film that looked great in animation but not a very good movie. 

SLOP wasn't a very good movie either, it's made a mint.  But Storks wasn't advertised for almost a year in advance and maybe people love pets more than babies. :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think the lack of clarity in the marketing is what did Storks in tbh. Really, what is this movie even about.

It looks like it takes the Monster Inc approach of there being an organization or group responsible for something. In this case where babies come from. 

4 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

It looks like it takes the Monster Inc approach of there being an organization or group responsible for something. In this case where babies come from. 

Or they used to be responsible for that but have lately taken up delivering packages for Amazon instead.  Then by accident they make this baby and have to do something with it. Various plans fail.

I got that from a trailer, but still developed no interest in the movie.  But I'm notoriously resistant to animal protagonist animation.  Off the top of my head the only ones I've seen that I enthusiastically liked were 101 Dalmations and Zootopia.  So it wouldn't have surprised me at all if this were a big hit.

1 hour ago, Frozen said:

I was planning to see Blair Witch tomorrow. Is it really that bad?

I went to see it tonight. 

Its not bad, it's quite effective, IMO.

Horrendous for Storks. Whoever said legs should take it into the black doesn't know how BO works. 

Underwhelming for Mag7 if it opens under $40m. 

• Like 1

My quicky analysis for Mag7, Watched it this afternoon and I have to say Solid Denzel numbers, it's a Western as well.  I'm looking to a few previous western (A remake in there as well) in the last 6 years:

True Grit (10') - 24 Million OW (15 million first 3 days, Opened Wed) (Ended at 176)

Django (12') - 30 Million OW (33 Million First 3 Days Opened Tues) (Ended at 162)

Reverent (15') - 39 Million OW (Wide Relesse, Ended at 183)

Yes two of these opened during the holiday's and not on friday.  "Reverent" came in Jan but they were the last big Western's and all three had fantastic mutiplers and numbers. (Didn't included "Hateful Eight" because Star Wars and Revervent drowned it out, hard to analyze it with the others)   I think "Mag 7" can have some decent to solid legs.  I thought it was a serviable aciton remake and enjoyed the climax but it probably won't top the Legeacy of the 60's Version or the original "Seven Samurai".   I enjoyed the movie and loved all the personalities from the other actors including Pratt, D'Onofrio, Hawke.   Denzel was in complete control and kicking serious butt at 61 years old.  Though it was a remake, a piece of it felt kinda like it had a "Young Guns" feel (Came out in 88' adjust to 95 Million).   James Horner's final score was so powerful for me to hear, Miss you James. 

As for it's future prospects, it might also help that it's the only adult action oriented film for the next month until "Jack Reacher 2"  (Max Steel geared more towards young adults).  Just a lot of adult dramas and thrillers in the next month which yes could definitely take some of the audience.  With that said Denzel get 3x's/4x's mutiplers in his sleep, he's very consistant.  He's doing this too without having yet to do a sequel or franchise.    With the early estimates for 12-13 Million Friday, I think even with a pretty flat Saturday we are looking at over 32-37 Million OW which would be in line with the western's I posted.  

In comparion to the last time everyone teamed up (Fuqua, Denzel, Ethan),  "Trainning Day" had a 22 OW, finished with 76 Million  and adjust to about 117 overall.  So this looks in line to definitely eclispe that.  Some interesting stats looking at Denzel Legendary career.  This should be Denzel's 15th 20+ M OW, 15th 75 Million Domestic film, 8th 90+ Million Domestic and 6th 100 Million Dollar grosser.  It  should also challenge his top grosser "Unajusted" "American Gangter" (130).    Again the fact Denzel is doing this without franchises and mostly with original films and dramas over the 35 years is Historic.   "Equalizer 2" is slated to be his very first sequel.  He's done remakes, not sequels.   Overall loved and enjoyed "Trainning Day 1870", lol.  cool see Denzel and Ethan on screen together again.  One last thing, Happy for one of Denzel's Co-stars in "Philadelphia", Tom Hanks as his film "Sully" is soaring nicely holding well if that weekend number can hold.

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 4