75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

I said it about 20 pages back, but Skyfall is the only live action big opener (>$50M) in November to manage >3x OW multiplier in the past 10 years. Why are people expecting that out of a Potterverse film?

Even 2.7x seems to me to be on the optimistic side (since the smaller start this weekend will give exhibitors less of a reason to keep in running as the holiday films open), but at least that gives the film a path to $200M off of a $75M start. 

37 minutes ago, James said:

Don't you guys think this will play more like a family movie than any of the Potters? My audience was so diverse and they laughed throughout the movie. Parent and kids both.

Ehhhh

I wouldn't want my kids to see the super dark Farrell/Miller scenes

2 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Ehhhh

Hide contents

I wouldn't want my kids to see the super dark Farrell/Miller scenes

They are dark, but looking at CBMs nowadays and other things directed at kids, I don't really think they are too much.

• Like 1

About time .  Hopefully variable prices for films translates to lower prices for non tent poles instead of the ridiculous add on charges for tent poles as seen in some other countries.  That could help indies and mid tier films

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/amc-entertainment-cfo-craig-ramsey-talks-flexible-movie-ticket-pricing-948353

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, James said:

Seriously, there's no way this day becomes better. FB destroyed my wildest expectations and J.K. Rowling liked my tweet about FB. This is fanboy dream life right here. 

Do you mind linking me that tweet? :o

It can be via PM if you prefer...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-fantastic-beasts-75-million-friday-edge-of-seventeen-bleed-for-this-948497

Elsewhere, Ang Lee's 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' is bombing as it expands nationwide.

J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter spin-off Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is winning over muggles at the Friday box office, where the prequel is projected to earn $30 million for the day and a pleasing $75 million or more for the weekend.

Based on early returns, STX's edgy coming-of-age drama Edge of Seventeen is projected to open in the $6 million-$7.5 million range, somewhat behind expectations, although the movie's budget was only $9 million.

Open Road's Bleed for This is still uncertain. Based on early Friday returns, box-office observers show the film opening anywhere between $2.5 million and $5 million. 

Ang Lee's Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk is in dire trouble as it expands nationwide on Friday, and may only earn $1 million-$1.5 million for the weekend. 

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Further updates

Paramount’s Arrival is down 56%, for a second weekend of $10.5m, running 10-day total of $42.1M. 

It's okay but not the best result for Arrival. Why is the theater count still so low?

11 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

About time .  Hopefully variable prices for films translates to lower prices for non tent poles instead of the ridiculous add on charges for tent poles as seen in some other countries.  That could help indies and mid tier films

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/amc-entertainment-cfo-craig-ramsey-talks-flexible-movie-ticket-pricing-948353

Maybe I will finally be able to afford to go on a day besides Tuesday.

• Like 1

Uh, Fantastic Beasts is the darkest blockbuster this year? Did we see the same movie? I actually thought it was a fairly soft PG-13 not too far removed from the first three (PG) Potter flicks in terms of dark material. In terms of tone and approach, it has nothing on, say, Batman v. Superman, Suicide Squad, Jason Bourne, or even Civil War.

I'm disappointed but not surprised that Arrival apparently isn't holding that well. My audience last Saturday didn't really seem to know what to do with it.