CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

I run through all market numbers for Dune and updated estimates. Dune is showing better legs than expected in some market areas and raising the previous 360-380 WW estimate to 370-390 WW (median 105 Dom + 235 OS + 40 China ~380 WW). Australia & New Zealand are the biggest X factors.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Dune 2 will make the Oct 22 2023 date with this filming schedule:

Great news! Makes sense also that they can shoot a lot indoor sets before heading to Jordan for outdoors in the fall as long as the cast schedules work. Shouldn't the casting of the new characters be the biggest challenge? Even if they have already some preliminary deals in place, their schedule needs to work too. I hope there isn't forced compromises and replacements, that Villeneuve gets everyone he wants.

Listening to Dune music while working out seriously helps with getting them gains.

Also, I was walking to my college library and I heard some girl on the phone talking about how she and her friends are going to watch Dune this weekend. Word of mouth is spreading. Everyone around here is Dune-pilled. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Listening to Dune music while working out seriously helps with getting them gains.

Also, I was walking to my college library and I heard some girl on the phone talking about how she and her friends are going to watch Dune this weekend. Word of mouth is spreading. Everyone around here is Dune-pilled. 

b25dd0a10d3787cc00859541d6adc209a1d0cf0b

Spoiler

5435a6180c978605dbb9b2660a125474f4cbce2a

:ph34r: 

• Haha 9

13 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Dune beat NTTD's legs last week and is trending to beat them from now on. Although this weekend showed amazing holds taking into account Eternals & losing most of PLF/IMAXs, we will know if the trend is holding after seeing couple of the weekdays now without those PLF/IMAXs. If they are on bar with the trend, we're heading into 33-38% drop next week. In any case, it would be showing that WOM spreading, and I don't see why it would be stopping anytime soon.

On 11/4/2021 at 1:17 PM, von Kenni said:

With Valerian I have a black hole in my brain. I barely remember anything about it but I guess it's because I had so high hopes for it. I loved the Fifth Element and Valerian was probably the scifi film that I was looking forward to seeing the most after Dune. Like Jupiter Ascending it descended into oblivion.

I did not care for Valerian either. It is not half as clever or witty as the director thought it was.

• Like 2

Watching it for a third time in a little over a week, I think a big reason I loved this so much was that I had no prior knowledge of Dune. Especially on rewatch I kept focusing on the world details like the voice, the stillsuits, the shields, Baron's floaty spine device etc. If you have no idea about Dune, every 10 minutes in this movie you go "that shit is really cool". Frank Herbert really did all the best drugs in the 60s.

• Like 7

On 11/11/2021 at 9:22 AM, Joel M said:

Watching it for a third time in a little over a week, I think a big reason I loved this so much was that I had no prior knowledge of Dune. Especially on rewatch I kept focusing on the world details like the voice, the stillsuits, the shields, Baron's floaty spine device etc. If you have no idea about Dune, every 10 minutes in this movie you go "that shit is really cool". Frank Herbert really did all the best drugs in the 60s.

Indeed. Villeneuve does such a great job of maintaining the lore but also being digestible for newcomers. He only tells us what's crucial the moment instead of overwhelming the viewer with backstory.

On a side node, this movie made $1.23M on Thursday ($87M DOM). I think it has enough has in the tank to cross $100M.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2021 at 6:22 AM, Joel M said:

You can say the same thing about Tolkein.

You really should read the novel. There is a lot of detail abotu Arrakis that is NOT in the movie.

• Like 1